User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kebabselector
(committed) Wed 19-Feb-20 19:48:02
Print Post

Re: ISP will disconnect my broadband scam

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

I've had a few recently asking my about the cancellation of Amazon Prime. I do like to keep them on the phone and annoy them. Conveniently they seem to call when I've got time to annoy them.

Zen: 77mb down - 20mb up
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Feb-20 19:56:56
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

You can't get any better than this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKtS-k12b0&list=PLc...

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User kitfit1
(learned) Wed 19-Feb-20 22:59:20
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
You can't get any better than this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKtS-k12b0&list=PLc...

Adsolute Magic lol .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Feb-20 10:10:47
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Unfortunately most of teh scammers are not UK based and have a limited understanding of English - it might work with a PPI call but not te BT/OfCom/Amazon scam attempts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User fireants
(member) Fri 21-Feb-20 18:22:42
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

What possible connection could there be? Are you suggesting that Plusnet has leaked your phone number and Gmail address?

There is no connection other than that I get more scam calls and emails than when I was with Sky. Who knows where the "leak" is!
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 21-Feb-20 20:12:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

After they'd phoned five times in one day recently, I actually pressed 1 to tell the "Amazon" one exactly what I thought of them (contrary to popular mythology, you cannot trigger a "premium rate" scam simply by playing along this far). The supposed "agent" was a young lady who spoke perfect English with an Australian accent (if that's not a contradiction in terms).

I told her exactly what I thought, sparing no detail, and then hung up without giving her a chance to reply.

The calls have ceased.

I did subsequently regret not being a bit more imaginative, and wasting lots more of their time.

I suspect I could have spun out: "Oh sorry Dear, I'm 80 you know! Did I tell you I was 80?" for quite some considerable time, while they were rubbing their hands in glee!
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Sat 22-Feb-20 14:00:03
Print Post

It's a dead giveaway when they say "This is your Internet provider" without giving the name of the ISP. I wonder what would happen if you did press 1 to talk, would they ask for a "Fine" to keep your Internet on?

I've blocked around 10 different numbers that they use but they always use a different number
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Feb-20 14:42:26
Print Post

Not has this particular call, but had similar in the past, lots of different numbers (spoofed) to make it appear they were in the uk ,the one i did answer was your bt router sending error massages 🙄😂 My isp is not BT never has been, and i don't use their junk router, So knew instantly it was a scammer Indian accent,he after giving his fake reason for calling, proceeded to explain they needed to connect to my PC so they could find out why these messages were being sent (Scam me) by using the built-in SAM lock tool ( changing the password ) thus locking the victim out upon restarting the pc, then holding access to that pc to ransom
I managed to waste some 45+ mins of his scamming time, before he rumbled me, then he said why was i wasting his time, to which i replied you rang me remember , he then started cussing in hindi, so i returned the complements back in hindi he hung up, didn't get any calls for several months after that
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 22-Feb-20 15:30:43
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Suffering with a real bad cough at te moment and my voice is awful ...

This morning I received another "Amazon" call, so after asking about why people in Brazil are interested in me, I moved onto Brazil nuts and asked if it was a selling scam ...

She then moved to the "we have been getting reports of dodgy activitioes and you willl be disconnected" script so carried on asking about Braizilan scammers and that at 76 years old I was worried ...

I managed about 20 minutes before she finally twigged.

10 minutes later, another call, so I answered and got patched in on one side of a scam call and you could hear teh same womon scamming some porr victim, taking them through screens &c. Speaking down te phone got no where, it was obvious I coul dhear teh scammer but no one could hear me. I made comment such as do not let the scammer do anything on the off chance the victim could hear me, but to no avail.

They really are scum and should be treated as such.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Mar-20 16:01:00
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I've had several scam calls mainly about "BT OpenReach" about to terminate my broadband within the next 48hours. Most the time I just hang up and occasionally I'll push button number one to be connected, just to hear what rubbish they are going to tell me.
Usually I find that those taking the calls don't know exactly why you've contacted them as it appears they have several scams on the go. There seems to be an awkwardness until you make it clear as to why your there and then they follow a script.

I find the research Jim Browning does to be really interesting, especially when he is monitoring some of these call centres via their own security cameras and giving an insight as to how they make their money:-
Jim Browning on Youtube
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to