User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Mar-20 14:11:56
Print Post

I think I made a mistake moving. Frying Pan and Fire...

[link to this post]

I haven't posted on these forums so please bear with my rant. I had my broadband activated last Thursday switching from Sky to Plusnet.

My line information can be found here

I originally moved over to Sky last March on an 18 month contract
I was getting 65.78/18.76 with a 10ms ping: https://beta.speedtest.net/result/8720262232
Before Sky I was with Vodafone on 62.01/18.04 with a 13ms ping: https://www.speedtest.net/result/7418363105.png

My Exchange (Lowestoft) has Sky LLU so would of been connect up to that, the speeds started to lower and by January it was sitting at 49mb down and 20mb up (minimum guaranteed line speed of 51mb).

I contacted Sky and thought before I move I will get BT OR out to double check as didn't want to move a problem from one supplier to another. They visited about 7 weeks ago determined the original overhead into the property and changed this over and troubleshot everything else (I already was on a filtered faceplate). Engineer left and the speed stayed the same so decided I would leave Sky early they advised that as they couldn't meet the guaranteed line speed I could do this early without charge.

For comparatives sake I performed a speed test with Sky Thursday morning it was at 49/20 and when Plusnet went live I am now getting 30mb/10mb which is 2/3's of the download speed and half the upload I am also seeing double the ping time - game quite frequently and this is important...

I tried calling PN Friday and Saturday both days they weren't taking calls, but by Sunday I got through to someone, had a bit of a moan but understand the current wait due to the Covid issues. I asked their customer support specifically have they put me on the right product. He advised yes you are on the 80/20 product. I don't know why you aren't getting a higher speed (minimum guaranteed speed with PN is 50mb). He raised an issue again with BT OR.

I had an engineer call this morning about 8am, the engineer confirmed I am not on an 80/20 package and it appears I am on a 40/10 package. He did note that call centres in India are currently limited with the current situation and would probably need to raise this with a UK call centre.

Very disappointed that PlusNet tell me I am on the correct package (verbally) and BT OR engineer tells me my line is capped at the lower rate, this is schoolboy stuff...

When I look at my Plusnet portal it is showing something different to what I am getting, with a speed of 78mb!

Look at the stats as of this morning, within 2/3Kbps off 40/10.

UP Speed___Down Speed__SNR Upstream_SNR Downstream
9,997 (Kbps) 39,998 (Kbps) 15 (dB) 5 (dB)

I spoke with the engineer up the pole double checking terminations and the cabling, I asked if he could do what he can to the line to try and get me back up to the speeds I was achieving, since this morning PN have put another note on the system, I tried calling but their lines are again no longer being answered (don't even get an option to wait).

Plusnet have put another note on the system stating :
Modified order on Wholesale to 80/20.
Order completion is by 01/04/2020 00:00:00 at latest.

Is it really that difficult or have they just made a meal out of this whole process. I'm waiting for them to email me saying April Fool but I wouldn't even find that funny at the minute.

With my stats can I still expect to achieve what I have previously, it appears from the downstream SNR I probably aren't going to squeeze much more out of my line if I am reading correctly.

If I do not get up to the 50mb minimum speed can I leave without penalty?

Who would you suggest to go to, back to Sky for their LLU? Was even thinking Zen or Uno.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Regards,

Ben Bird

Edited by benbird7 (Tue 31-Mar-20 14:37:51)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Mar-20 14:33:01
Print Post

Re: I think I made a mistake moving. Frying Pan and Fire...

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

Until the 40/10 product cap is removed it is hard to know exactly what speeds you get, other than should be similar to before. Though the move may have turned off G.INP which is worth a few meg for some people, but this will usually switch back on if things are left alone - though with current sync speeds you would not see any benefit as at the maximum connection speed.

Presume the old 49 Mbps with Sky was connection speed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Mar-20 14:41:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron,

Yes, the old speed was the connection of the router, I was getting circa 45mb download, link below to the comparison I made on Thursday am on Sky and pm on PN:

https://ibb.co/J3dsv9J

If it did get back to where it should be I wouldn't mind staying, although I must say with all of this saga I am beginning to think I may be best to move if they can't hit that 50mb.

Uno is the likely one I would go with, I was with them when they used to be fast.co.uk and were great on support.

Regards,

Ben Bird

Edited by benbird7 (Tue 31-Mar-20 14:42:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Apr-20 10:07:52
Print Post

Hi, I have had an update on the notes and this morning it was transferred over to the 80/20 line. I done a speed test when at home earlier on and was getting 32mb down and 18mb up - I understand it may need to settle.

Data from the line what has been placed on the account below, total line length 440m. I should be getting more than I am getting shouldn't I? I had a new overhead line brought into the property and double checked by a second BT engineer yesterday.

GEA Service Test

Radius

Notes on the system.
===QBC Summary Start===Customer Report: End customer informed us their broadband speed is not achieving predicted speed.

Initial xDSL test results: The initial xDSL test performed at extension socket was carried out where the modem / router is connected.The connection is stable with no errors and achieving predicted speed on 31/03/2020.

Additional information: Engineer has proved a working connectivity to end customer Mr Ben Bird.Engineer has completed the handover with Mr Ben Bird.Customer's modem / router is plugged into the NTE master socket.

Advice given to end customer: Call bract CP as he was informed he is on 80/20. Confirmed circuit is 40/10.

Final test results: Final PQT performed at the DP / external NTP.The test passed on 2020-03-31T08:55:59.

Final alternate test results: xDSL test performed at the modem.xDSL test indicated line was OK on 31/03/2020.Final FastTest completed.The test passed on 31/03/2020 09:08:33.===QBC Summary End===

Is my line performing as it should, am I expecting too much?
Why could I in 2018 & 2019 get 65/20 but now it has dropped as much as it has?

I haven't changed anything internally and if anything it should be better with the newer overhead line.

Any advice on the data provided above would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ben Bird

Edited by benbird7 (Wed 01-Apr-20 10:13:04)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 01-Apr-20 11:30:38
Print Post

In that GEA test, I reckon the Profile (Name) near the bottom of the first table is the problem. AIUI that is saying it is set to 40/10 maximum speeds. Independent of the actual product, except it cannot be higher than the actual product.

So the product could be 40/10 or 80/20. That profile needs to be reset, and if the reset to show 80M on the downstream fails it would suggest the 40/10 product is on the line.

If it succeeds, then problem fixed.

Edit: And if course the upstream should show 20M in that profile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 01-Apr-20 11:32:35)

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Wed 01-Apr-20 11:51:33
Print Post

Perhaps to reinforce RobertoS's posting and reading your posts in this thread it may be that you haven't caught up with the difference between what your line will support and what your provider is allowing,

Your line will certainly support better than the speeds you are getting now (as you know from your previous history). However, it looks as if there has been a hiccup in the provisioning by your current supplier. They have applied a cap to your line so that it is on their 40/10 profile and the maximum download you will ever see in a speed test will be in the high thirties. You should be on the 80/20 profile and the BT engineer has indicated that your line will support that profile. That should give you the speeds you have previously seen.

You need to be raising this with your supplier because they have issued an instruction somewhere so that your line has been capped to the 40/10 profile. Even if they are now telling you that you are on the 80/20 profile, you have the evidence from the BTOR engineer's report that this is not the case and it is up to your supplier to sort out their own internal mis-match.

Edited by GonePostal (Wed 01-Apr-20 11:53:22)

Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Apr-20 12:42:07
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Thank you, I have escalated again, PN are saying BT OR are wrong and BT OR are saying PN are wrong. They have arranged a further visit tomorrow morning by BT OR again!

As explained I had a new line installed under 2 months ago and the BT OR engineer checked over the wiring up to and the filtered faceplate so I really do not know what tomorrow is likely to achieve.

I am becoming to really regret the move from Sky, I was on their all inclusive calls package for £27 a month and still had 6 months left but was frustrated that the speed had dropped. Right now I would be grateful for 50/20 again.

As a side note and to be used as a backup I have ordered one of these and have 3sims for network providers to try once I receive. I was getting 70 down & 25 up on my phone with my EE sim card. If this doesn't get sorted I may resort to ditching the landline and going mobile. I have also been on https://www.mastdata.com/ it looks like three or EE are going to be the best, so could be looking at the unlimited Virgin sim £27 for 24 months if that is the case.

Regards,

Ben Bird

Edited by benbird7 (Wed 01-Apr-20 12:46:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 01-Apr-20 13:22:28
Print Post

The setting on the line is that Profile I pointed at. It is factual. Your engineer would have been looking at that. It is up to Plusnet to get it fixed.

It's worth pointing out that Plusnet CS can only see what they believe was ordered, but there is a completely different team (the Provisioning Team), that places the orders on Openreach and BT Wholesale.

I recall there being a case years back where it turned out that team had ordered the wrong product, so the product ordered from Openreach was not the same as the one showing on the customer's account. Yours may be another case of this.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 01-Apr-20 13:23:15)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 01-Apr-20 14:05:13
Print Post

As RobertoS has said - profile is still wrong.

A 440m line should give you somewhere from 60 to 75 Mbps sync speed depending on noise, cross talk &c If it is then satble you will see a drop in SNR to 3dB (possibly) and speeds will increase. I have a line of very similar lenghth and at 6 dB SNR see a 70Mbps sync, and currently up at over 78 Mbps. You need to push Plusnet to get teh profile sorted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Apr-20 15:05:34
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thank you, I got another update today stating that the line is showing as 80/20 in green at the bottom of the sheet.

They are however sending another BT OR engineer tomorrow... I will continue to push.

https://ibb.co/dprxRyh

Regards,

Ben Bird

Edited by benbird7 (Wed 01-Apr-20 15:07:04)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to