User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User musical_uk
(regular) Thu 02-Apr-20 15:14:17
Print Post

Can I do something about the speed of my line?

[link to this post]

I am on 80/20 with Plusnet.

My router shows 48999 down and 18186 up.

When first installed and on BT my connection speeds were much faster back in 2012 (70M+).

Is there anything I can do?

I don't want to pay a call-out charge and am currently self-isolating so would want to avoid an engineer visit.

Thanks for any advice.

BT Availability Checker:

Downstream A (clean) 55.7 - 78.7
Downstream B (impacted) 52 - 76.9
Upstream A (clean) 18.4 - 20
Upstream B (impacted) 16.6 - 20
Downstream Handback Threshold A (clean) 49.6
Downstream Handback Threshold B (impacted) 44.1

My router (Netgear D6400):

Line attenuation: D0(11.9) D1(28.4) D2(45.3) U0(0.7) U1 (22.6) U2(35.4)
Noise margin: D0(4.5) D1(4.5) D2(4.5) U0(6.4) U1(6.1) U2(6.1)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Apr-20 15:21:46
Print Post

Re: Can I do something about the speed of my line?

[re: musical_uk] [link to this post]

Assuming you are using a single socket socket in the home ie. no extensions (including unused ones) and there is a filter in use then nothing you can do

Believe 6400 is a broadcom chipset

Likely that cross talk has impacted you over the years

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Apr-20 20:18:05
Print Post

Openreach are not going into customer premises at present, so will work from a convenient access point close to the property .. BT66 or a joint on the eaves.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 02-Apr-20 23:18:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by musical_uk:
I am on 80/20 with Plusnet.

My router shows 48999 down and 18186 up.

When first installed and on BT my connection speeds were much faster back in 2012 (70M+).
That looks to me as if there has been and possibly still is instability on the line, because the 48999 sync looks suspiciously like a "banded" line.

That is Openreach's way of cutting speed to achieve stability, instead of the BT Wholesale ADSLx way of raising the noise margin.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User CooLix
(committed) Wed 13-May-20 16:27:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I appear to be in the same situation. Mine sync is pegged at 48999. How does one remove the banding?

My stats are
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate 48999 Kbps 19999 Kbps
Attainable Rate 62520 Kbps 20639 Kbps
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 1 1
Actual PSD 7. 3 dB 13. 4 dB

Which I don't think are too bad. Am I right in that assumption? I used to get 74/20 but I appreciate the cross talk has now become an issue. Using a Vigor 2762 router.

Rgrds

Lix
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-May-20 21:49:06
Print Post

[re: CooLix] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CooLix:
I appear to be in the same situation. Mine sync is pegged at 48999. How does one remove the banding?

Unfortunately one doesn't. Assuming one's line is now in good health, one just waits. It might take a few weeks, it might take a few months. If you're really lucky Plusnet might be able to arrange a DLM reset but don't hold your breath.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Wed 13-May-20 21:50:08)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-May-20 16:02:49
Print Post

If the cap/banding has taken the sync below the minimum guarantee rate that Plusnet quoted at the time of sign-up (or contract renewal) then they might arrange a DLM reset for you on their forums.

If the cap doesn't take the line below the minimum guarantee then any request for a DLM reset is usually rejected.
Either Plusnet refuse to request it for you as the line is within the estimates, or Plusnet's request is rejected by their Wholesale provider (BT Wholesale).

Without a DLM reset you simply need to wait for DLM to remove the cap which can take weeks/months.
Keeping the line synced (not rebooting the modem) is the only thing you can do to speed this up.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 14-May-20 16:06:00)

Standard User CooLix
(committed) Thu 14-May-20 16:43:24
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies.

I will see what happens in the coming weeks/months

Cheers

Rgrds

Lix
Standard User spile
(newbie) Fri 22-May-20 07:21:29
Print Post

I opened a call due to low FTTC speed. Openreach engineer visited this week and found a fault. Download speed increased from 18mb to 25mb.
However have now decided to move to BT 500mb FTTP deal.
Standard User PS123
(learned) Sun 24-May-20 13:53:44
Print Post

I don't want to steal your thread but I am in a bit of a dilemma too.

Renewed FTTC connection with PlusNet in February this year, 12 month contract and now three months in. To save some cost as we didn't use our landine but wanted to keep the number it in case somebody decided to call, I opted for the line rental saver option.

Within a week of renewing, Install.com vans turn up with engineers all over the place. At this point, I realise that they are laying fibre optic cable and running them up the poles. It took a week or two after they ran the fibre cable up the pole for BT's exchange checker to be updated to confirm that FTTP was now available with speeds of up to 1Gbps down and 220Mbps up with a 1 step install showing.

In the midst of all this, the upload speeds halved, which PlusNet were able to resolve but then the download speed went down from 40Mbps to 33Mbps and although I can live with this during lockdown, it has begun to put a strain given the internet is used by members of the household e.g. Netflix streaming, video calls, IoT devices etc.

PlusNet do not have the facility to change the physical connection from FTTC to FTTP even if I wanted to remain on a 40/10 profile.

Came off the phone to BT, which has left me more confused than ever. Apparently, they will need to fit a CSP outside my premises and ONT inside...(I thought the one-step install negated the CSP and the fibre cable is run straight into the home to be connected to the ONT). I was further told that BT are ceasing the Fibre Voice Access and will shortly be implementing BT Voice.

I really want FTTP installed but appreciate if someone can walkthrough how this is done and in particular be able to answer the following questions:

1. Assuming this is a one-stop install, will I be able to speak with the OpenReach engineer on where I want the cable to enter the premises.

2. I was told by BT that if I wanted to have FTTP with a second line installed then OpenReach will need to come out to assess if there will be additional costs. In my head, I can't think of any additional cost, surely they would be running a fibre cable from the pole to the premises in the same way that they would if I was switching provider to keep the existing line?

3. If I switch, then I would be losing 9 months of line rental saver that I would have paid for. Is there any way of keeping the phone line with PlusNet but have the internet connection with BT as an FTTP connection?

4. I could just wait until the end of my current contract with PlusNet. I do get very good 4G signal where I live where I have seen download speeds peak at 80Mbps and upload at around 30Mbps. Another thought is that I purchase a 4G modem, link the PlusNet modem and the 4G modem to a load balancing router with a failover option and run this setup until I am either out of contract with PlusNet and ready for FTTP to be installed or until BT decides to lower their prices further or reduce the contract length, which is currently 24 months. Has anyone tried such a setup and how have they found this to improve their speeds?

Thanks.

Edited by PS123 (Sun 24-May-20 13:57:41)

Print Thread

Jump to