User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Thu 27-Aug-20 09:32:24
Print Post

Re: Unfortunately we’ve hit a problem

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:
Apparently my lack of response to this and other posts I can't see for some reason, is causing some folk on here much stress?

I usually answer posts/questions, but in this case I felt the thread was drifting too far from my original post/question. But just to keep certain people happy. :-

It's an old piece of hardware with the most up-to-date OS that Apple provide. Quite how the average user would know or care about this escapes me. It is obviously *my* fault that Plusnet can't provide a more helpful error message. Presumably it is also my fault they can't sort out their new billing system or provide basic checks on coding so their order tracking works as well?

The issue you are having is that the website uses a piece of code not supported by the browser on your device.
Your device is an older one and therefore no longer receives updates from the manufacturer.
If you want to blame anyone you should blame Apple for not supporting your device.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 27-Aug-20 11:06:05
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Not that I can see in either of the two threads, (one needs locking as it is getting very difficult to track both).
Indeed.
It was actually you who posted what version of iPad iOS they were on.

Your confirmation that the latest version of iOS on the iPad works with the links pretty much confirms it's an issue on the OP's end.
Not me. That was jchamier (and now yourself) mis-reading my post that he quoted wink. I posted that the link worked on my (latest) version of iOS smile.

That was what prompted Andrew to suggested iOS 9 was being used.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Aug-20 13:59:07
Print Post

Nobody is getting stressed just exasperated at your lack of answers. Sometimes help is given when all avenues are explored.

" most up-to-date OS that Apple provide"

Does this actually mean the latest iOS that Apple distribute or the latest that your device will update to?

What actual version is on your device?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Aug-20 14:35:18
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

From my access.log, which is what Plusnet would see :-

"Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 9_3_5 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13G36 Safari/601.1"

My point that you are missing is that most would have no idea or probably not care what version iOS they were running. Plusnet would have this information and should code to pop up the correct error rather than something that is meaningless.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 27-Aug-20 23:20:56
Print Post

If you're running an older iPhone or iPad that's stuck on iOS 9, then you need to plan some sort of escape strategy following this week's leak of Apple's iBoot source code to GitHub.
That was in 2018.

You may be able to update it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Aug-20 01:19:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the heads up.

I run TWO now!

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Aug-20 01:44:40
Print Post

Re: Unfortunately we've hit a problem

Run two? Two whats? smile

Two Apple devices, one with iOS 9 and one with iOS 12?

========================
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Aug-20 06:04:47
Print Post

Re: Unfortunately we've hit a problem

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You've got it, but I think they are both on nine.

===========
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Fri 28-Aug-20 09:19:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:
From my access.log, which is what Plusnet would see :-

"Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 9_3_5 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13G36 Safari/601.1"

My point that you are missing is that most would have no idea or probably not care what version iOS they were running. Plusnet would have this information and should code to pop up the correct error rather than something that is meaningless.

That's not how websites work, most websites only have one/two codebases (desktop/mobile) so it doesn't matter that it knows what browser you have.
It will serve you the code it has and the error message is their generic.
It would take more time than its worth to code a website to diagnose and to work out the exact error
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Aug-20 11:34:43
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Quite simple as far as I can see. :-

Does OS = supported OS if not error "we do not support your OS".

Otherwise what is the point of the browser "indentifying" it's self?

===========
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to