User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Aug-20 15:10:10
Print Post

Re: Unfortunately we’ve hit a problem

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

I have to admit that I find it odd that PlusNet, or is it Apple, don't support a browser that is only four years old (TLS/SSL issues aside). Microsoft (and PlusNet) support Internet Explorer v11 which was released in October 2013 although in this case Microsoft's last and final patch was released in January 2020
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Aug-20 15:24:35
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
Microsoft (and PlusNet) support Internet Explorer v11 which was released in October 2013 although in this case Microsoft's last and final patch was released in January 2020

Internet Explorer 11 received a patch just this month: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4571687/cum...

Oliver.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Aug-20 16:39:49
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Thanks Oliver,

I hadn't thought to check whether there was a more recent update. It's a pity that Apple seemingly leave their users somewhat stranded.

Edit. I note though that the August update is for server 2012 and Win 8 embedded. I've just checked on an old Win 7 Pro SP1 system and find that is is offered Edge which is a bit of a surprise.

Edited by MCM (Mon 31-Aug-20 16:45:03)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Aug-20 17:09:01
Print Post

Edit. I note though that the August update is for server 2012 and Win 8 embedded.

The update mentions multiple OS's but not Windows 10. It is applied to Win10 though, as mentioned in the KB4566782 release notes: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4566782

Oliver.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Aug-20 19:56:04
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

OT
I must apologise if I appear as being pedantic. KB4566782 makes reference to Win 10 in the context of the issuing of non-security releases rather than for the IE11 patch. I've just checked on a Win 10 machine running build 2004 and it doesn't appear to have been offered any update for IE. This could be because of Edge - I simply don't know as I never use Edge and very rarely IE and when I do on a box running Win 7. What I did not realise until just now is that IE11 (v11.00.1904.1 6 Dec 2019) won't even open on that particular box. This might be peculiar to that box or a "feature" of 2004. The same is true for two laptops running Win 10 Pro x64 2004.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Aug-20 20:36:43
Print Post

KB4566782 makes reference to Win 10 in the context of the issuing of non-security releases rather than for the IE11 patch.

Not as far as I can see.

Security updates to the Microsoft Scripting Engine, Internet Explorer, Windows Graphics, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Kernel, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Media, Windows Shell, the Windows Wallet Service, Microsoft Edge Legacy, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Authentication, the Windows AI Platform, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Update Stack, Windows File Server and Clustering, Windows Hybrid Storage Services, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft JET Database Engine, and Windows SQL components.

Oliver.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Sep-20 14:36:12
Print Post

"I've just checked on an old Win 7 Pro SP1 system and find that is is offered Edge which is a bit of a surprise."

Made my W7 laptop crash a few times so was removed.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Sep-20 14:38:50
Print Post

Re: Unfortunately we've hit a problem

2nd hand is a cheap way to go.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Sep-20 16:10:03
Print Post

Tablets and smartphones run on a faster cycle that desktop/laptop and therefore tend to be supported for shorter time - some Android handsets are much shorter support than you get from Apple.

Also, Microsoft are dropping support for IE11 through their Teams and Office 365 services so they won't even be supporting it on some of their core web services in the near future. So, they support the OS for updates but not for their own web services.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Sep-20 19:30:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:
lynx: Can't access startfile http://www.plus.net/

What type of box are you running Lynx on that can't manage TLS ?

You do know that TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are obsolete, and many older browsers can no longer work? The original IE on WinXP for example, and older versions of Firefox. The IT industry is a train that does not stop moving forwards.

The problem with connecting everyone on the internet is that we now have to keep patching against the bad guys exploiting us. In the old days we had PCs that were not connected to each other, and you ran the same software until the HDD failed smile

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to