User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Sun 09-Aug-20 10:15:58
Print Post

Re: Unfortunately we’ve hit a problem

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:
TBB seems to have no problem with my iPad. The only other sites have found that don't like it are Gumtree parts and of Moneysavingexpert

I'm sure the problem is with your device.

It sounds like a browser security issue I had. I maintain a linux laptop for my dad, it's customised so as to be as simple as possible, and use as little data as possible, and that meant minimal updates done manually by me. It did get to a point once that several sites suddenly stopped loading up correctly, including Gumtree - the problem was that the Firefox browser had just gotten too far out of date.

The fact that some sites work is irrelevant, not all websites make the same demands on a browser.

Are you sure that the ipad, and relevant browsers, are completely up to date?

Also, this might sound a bit odd, but are you sure that the clock and date on the ipad is set correctly, or set to auto-update?

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC

Edited by sparky_paul (Sun 09-Aug-20 10:19:25)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Aug-20 11:02:43
Print Post

There can be SSL/TLS certificate issues with older devices e.g. if this is an old iPad not running latest iOS (and maybe not upgradeable to latest) you may have issues with things that rely on the encryption e.g. sales sites

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Aug-20 11:33:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Plusnet ADSL2+ affiliate link https://bit.ly/39ZvlMX shorted by us from the rather massive link http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmid=2973&awinaffi...

Keyword affiliate offer, the standard deals from going direct to the dot com can and are often different
With the latest posts in the two threads by yourself Andrew, I've just noticed that your full link here is http. On clicking it, Plusnet (or awin1.com ?) have redirected to https. I think that supports your suggestion re an SSL/TLS problem at the user end.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Sun 09-Aug-20 13:56:51
Print Post

Yes, I would go with that too.

I had to update the OS to the latest version too, as well as the latest browser, to get everything to work together properly.

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC

Edited by sparky_paul (Sun 09-Aug-20 13:57:41)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Aug-20 16:29:19
Print Post

TBB seems to have no problem with my iPad. The only other sites have found that don't like it are Gumtree parts and of Moneysavingexpert. I assume these companies just don't want new/old custom. wink

Do you have any add-ons for Safari, e.g. an ad blocker or similar, on your iPad? Most of these won't hurt, but SOME might get upset with the HTTP to HTTPS switch in the links.

Safari itself is now very very picky about security (as it should be), and a Mac user with Safari and another browser could confirm as this is the same on Mac, iPad, iPhone. On a desktop the MS Edge, and Firefox browsers are also picky, Chrome is (at the moment) the most relaxed.

Its about privacy protection - Chrome (being Google) is least worried, as they want to sell you advertising.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Aug-20 17:05:14
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

Sounds logical.

The only problem then is wouldn't/shouldn't I get a out-of-date browser error?

Date and time is set to automatic and seems to be fine.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Aug-20 17:08:37
Print Post

Interesting.

Wouldn't I then get SSL/TSL errors?

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Aug-20 19:57:32
Print Post

Sounds logical.

The only problem then is wouldn't/shouldn't I get a out-of-date browser error?

Date and time is set to automatic and seems to be fine.
Apple no longer update iOS on all iPads. Which model have you got, and what version of iOS? What does it say if you if you try a manual software update?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 09-Aug-20 19:58:47)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Aug-20 21:08:13
Print Post

Wouldn't I then get SSL/TSL errors?
Yes you would. The suggestions you are being given have missed the fact that you are using an iPad.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Apple no longer update iOS on all iPads. Which model have you got, and what version of iOS? What does it say if you if you try a manual software update?

The OP has posted they are on 13.6 of iPadOS which as I posted before is the latest, released in July 2020.

The suggestions on this thread, and others, is not taking into account which browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox etc) is being used, or what add on filters are being used (e.g. in Safari).

OR that there is a mistake, pointed out elsewhere, in the referral links switching from HTTPS to HTTP and back to HTTPS. Modern browsers will protect end user privacy and that switching will break context and transfer.

My own iPad Pro 2018 (iPadOS 13.6) blocks the link between TBB and Plus.Net because I have a content blocker active in Safari, mine however tells me "blocked by content blocker".

Firefox on my home PC does not have this problem, maybe because I have allow listed TBB, but I don't know the affiliate partner.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 09-Aug-20 21:11:55)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Aug-20 22:57:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Well I don't think its a SSL/TLS issue, they are using HTTPS hence the padlock icon in the image they posted.
In that image you can also see the CODID-19 Update Banner on the plusnet page at the top.
Also plusnet are using TLS1.2 with old weak Cipher Suites probably to support as many Operating Systems and Browsers as possible.

So at that point SSL/TLS handshaking has all passed.

I think its a browser issue to do with plugins / addons causing an issue.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to