User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jerrytaff1
(newbie) Sat 22-Aug-20 01:28:19
Print Post

Not getting expected speed on Unlimited Fibre Extra - Help!

[link to this post]

I switched from NowTv on 11/8. I was reliably getting a 34Mb/s down, 8Mb/s up connection on their Fab Fibre package before switching which was exactly as advertised - other than for a short period when they gave me 52.3M down and 12M up by mistake. I was told by Plusnet that my line should support their faster speed and so I signed up to Unlimited Fibre Extra.
On connection I was only getting 24Mbit/s Down and 6 Mbit/sec up. I called them after a day and I was first told there was water in the line. When I replied that there might be now but it had only just started raining after an extended dry period with temperatures of 35 deg, they rechecked and told me that when I had first connected my username hadn't authenticated correctly. They got me to log out and back in again. The connection reset and came back at 48M Down 10 up. I was told it would increase over the next 14 days. I put down the phone and 30s or so later the router reset back to 24 down, 6 M up. Over the next day or so it reset regularly, increasing the speed for a few secs and then resetting to a low speed for a few hours
A day later, I submitted a ticket online and was asked to conduct a speed test and submit the results. (pointless as the speeds I was quoting were taken from the router connection page). I finally got a response on 21/8, just after the speed increased to 34.2Mb/s Down and 10.3Mb/s up

Their response includes the following

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1615
Description Potential HR Joint or wet joint detected on GEA Service. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 34.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.2 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 458.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From10:45to11:00
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2020-08-08T13:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 23.0 Mbps 59.6 Mbps 32.7 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 2.5 Mbps 19.1 Mbps 7.8 Mbps
Up Time 135.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 897.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 4.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2020-08-21T11:47:59Z 2020-08-21T12:02:59Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU37730987

They have asked me to suggest 3 dates that their engineer can come to the house, to check thing over but they will charge me £65 if it turns out the problem is with my equipment, or with the wiring in the house or damage to BT equipment.
Can anyone interpret the report for me - in particular
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1615
Description Potential HR Joint or wet joint detected on GEA Service.
Main Fault Location CE

Also they have noted
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
does that just mean that they haven't tried observing at weekends? Basically I am trying to understand what the likelihood is that they will sting me for the £65? Is it possible that they sent me a defective Home Hub 5 which is overly susceptible to interference or even generating it, itself, and should I be insisting that they swap it over? Or is the most likely cause of the problem still the wiring between the cabinet and the house?
Thank you for your help in reading this very long post.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Aug-20 09:49:20
Print Post

Re: Not getting expected speed on Unlimited Fibre Extra - He

[re: jerrytaff1] [link to this post]

First things first, sort out the bridge tap issue on your internal wiring.

All else is folly until this is resolved. Remote line management (DLM) will intervene and slow the connection until the his is sorted.

Start by providing a description of what is connected where and how in your property.

Standard User jerrytaff1
(newbie) Sat 22-Aug-20 23:39:35
Print Post

Re: Not getting expected speed on Unlimited Fibre Extra - He

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Zarjaz.

It seems the problem was a defective filter. My normal setup is Master socket with external filter to phone and extension cable which leads to a second (flying) socket. That has a second filter plugged into it, with the router then plugged into that filter. I temporarily bypassed the extension cable, connecting the router and phone into the first filter. That did not help the speed. I then swapped that filter for a third which I had from a previous ISP and that immediately gave me approx 70.5 Mb/s down and 20 up. I should be able to get 70-80 down and 20-21 up, so that is within acceptable limits.

Unfortunately, I can't readily run an ethernet cable from there to my office where my PC sits, and my wireless connection was pretty useless. So I reverted to the the original configuration, but keeping the swapped filter. Currently I have 68.72 Mb/s down and 16.27 up. So, the extra wiring and possibly all the disconnecting and reconnecting has lost me a a little speed. Hopefully I'll get a small increase over the coming days but even if I don't I think what I have now is going to be acceptable.

I've closed the ticket to avoid the £65 call-out charge. I might assume that the speed increase means that the impedance mismatch (resulting in the bridge-tap detection), and interference - presumably from the phone circuit have both been eliminated, but I imagine it is possible that all I've done is to eliminate the interference and that a minor impedance mismatch from the extension wiring still exists, and that is the cause of the small speed loss. I'd have to get the flooring up to change the extension wiring, so even if that is the case, I think I'll just live with it - unless I get reliability issues.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to