User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Aug-20 03:09:22
Print Post

strCustActivationDate

[link to this post]

Is this just a broken bit of coding or is it just my order?

I noticed the same error back in 2019, but that person's order had to go through manually.

"Current step.
ACTIVATING YOUR LINE
Broadband orders typically take a week to complete. Your broadband order should complete on {strCustActivationDate}. Please note that this date can sometimes change. We'll let you know if this happens."

Can customers alter the date?

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Wed 26-Aug-20 03:13:17)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Aug-20 12:58:51
Print Post

Re: strCustActivationDate

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Posting the exact same post in multiple threads is not good forum etiquette.
It also makes it very difficult to follow your issue.

The other thread for context:
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/f/4656088-...
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Aug-20 14:12:21
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Different areas. I thought different people read/reply to the Plusnet area than the general one?

This thread is Plusnet specific, the other is a general observation, so I don't see how you can call them indentical?

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Wed 26-Aug-20 14:16:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Aug-20 14:34:50
Print Post

Different areas, but majority of people who have an idea on the answers to stuff do read different sections and keeping track of things is made more difficult by duplication of topics.

As the issue on this date field is ISP specific it would appear then have closed other thread and added link to this thread.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Aug-20 14:49:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Didn't realise I had duplicated topics: as you say this thread is ISP specific, so I thought only Plusnet users would know the answer, although anyone with a basic knowledge of coding would see this is probably something simple like a mis-spelt variable. My point is it was mentioned back last year and no one has adrreseed it. I can't be only me that it is affecting.

===========
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Wed 26-Aug-20 15:14:38
Print Post

The answer is it's just a quirk of Plusnet's useless ordering systems, it affects some orders but not all.

I doubt if they will bother to fix it. They have probably got much more serious problems to solve such as the "new" billing system which is still full of bugs after a couple of years.

Having said that I must be lucky as my billing is working fine.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Aug-20 15:23:04
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Oh dear : I do hope I haven't jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire! wink

Fingers crossed they get my billing right. in the past it has been line dropping out and I have had compensation.

===========
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Aug-20 15:42:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:
Is this just a broken bit of coding or is it just my order?

I noticed the same error back in 2019, but that person's order had to go through manually.

"Current step.
ACTIVATING YOUR LINE
Broadband orders typically take a week to complete. Your broadband order should complete on {strCustActivationDate}. Please note that this date can sometimes change. We'll let you know if this happens."

Can customers alter the date?
Lol. My guess would be something written in C#, missing the $ prefix on the string. Very bad coding.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Aug-20 16:17:04
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Probably the same person/people that wrote their billing system. wink

===========
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Aug-20 17:02:30
Print Post

Judging by the last few years, and the time taken to make elementary coding changes, (the updating of the website seems to work well enough so is probably outsourced), fundamental billing and accounting systems seem to be modified only by 16-20 year-olds on work experience.

Also the required changes are not specified in writing, just by word of mouth, and no record retained for the next part-timer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 26-Aug-20 17:04:08)

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Aug-20 17:24:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

LOL!

Sadly this seems to be very true. frown

===========
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Aug-20 17:58:09
Print Post

Probably the same person/people that wrote their billing system. wink

I have been with plusnet for over 5 years and I have never had a problem with their billing system. I am not going to say everything have been plain sailing, the main fault I had was not a Plusnet problem but an Open reach network problem, but Plusnet done everything they could to sort it out, including sending me a different router they don't normally send out.

Plusnet have been pretty good to me and the service is fine which is one of the reason I stayed, better the devil you know type of thing.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Aug-20 18:21:10
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

You may well be in the minority. Hard to tell without access to complaint stats. wink

In fairness, like yourself, I have had problems in the past but unlike some ISPs Plusnet have usually at least attempted to address any problems I have had. Had they not have done so I would not be taking out a new contract with them.

===========
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Aug-20 18:32:17
Print Post

You may well be in the minority. Hard to tell without access to complaint stats. wink
Or of course in the majority, as only those with problems post on forums! I was with Plusnet for 6 years and did not have a problem with billing. I know of two homes that are still with plusnet and have not had a problem in 4 years each.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Wed 26-Aug-20 18:32:43)

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Aug-20 18:40:46
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

True, although the smilie appears to have shot over your head. wink

The answer may lay in the long term contracts not being on the same system? And before you attack me again, I am only guessing.

===========
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to