User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Sep-20 20:58:02
Print Post

Good basic ADSL service

[link to this post]

I am probably preaching to the converted here, but it does no harm to post something positive now and again. smile

Well, I am back with Plusnet and they are still offering a good basic ADSL service.

Took up the addition of a fixed IP. They seem to be one of the few budget suppliers that offer this and it's a reasonable one-off fee rather than a monthly add-on.

Speeds aren't great but they are useable. It just surprises me in this day and age that upload is still less than 1M.

A few glitches in the initial setup/install for which there still seems to be long queues on the phone to sort out, but hopefully I won't need to contact them again.

Even had my offer email through, so hopefully get my payment card in the near future.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Shell Energy, NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Sep-20 00:10:29
Print Post

Re: Good basic ADSL service

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

tongue
I hope you mean ADSL2+. A basic ADSL connection would max at 448kbps upload, with 892kbps (IIRC) available as an upgrade.
tongue wink

AIUI any xDSLx service/product will negotiate down to ADSL2+ anyway if that's the highest the modem at either end supports.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 11-Sep-20 00:12:47)

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Sep-20 02:22:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Can you even get ADSL these days?

I was simply trying to clarify that it wasn't fibre. wink

I guess it won't be long before fibre will be the only option available.

Previously - Shell Energy, NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-20 10:20:00
Print Post

you can still get ADSL MAX, I know of a few connections still using this technology.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Sep-20 10:24:56
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Wish you would stop calling me Max! LOL

Interesting. do you know who supplies this? I wouldn't have thought it any cheaper than ADSL2, but maybe it is available in exchanges feeding small villages miles away?

===========
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-20 10:54:37
Print Post

haha xD

As far as I'm aware its only provided on a contract that I'm involved with if nothing better is available and anyone who resells BT Wholesale could sell it.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Sep-20 11:20:49
Print Post

So in theory Plusnet can/are doing it?

===========
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-20 11:59:39
Print Post

I don't see why not, they probably only offer it where ADSL2 isn't available.
Standard User mwarby
(learned) Fri 11-Sep-20 13:15:54
Print Post

Indeed until this year my parents could only get ADSL there was never the ADSL2+ upgrade, although they now have FTTP. The exchange was originally an exchange activate exchange (you could only get 512, and only from a few ISPs) they later removed that restriction and allowed ADSL max
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Sep-20 13:23:04
Print Post

There's one to throw their billing system into even more fits! smile

===========
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to