User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Sep-20 13:51:57
Print Post

Re: Good basic ADSL service

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Only got phone and broadband as a utility. Stopped the gas and electricity years ago.

UW cashback card makes the phone and broadband about £15/month. This includes free calls after 7pm and all weekend.

It would cost an extra £5 per month for fibre but we don't need it so saving £60 per year.

Some people moan when their broadband increases by £1.

Only had 3 issues with the line in 7 years and the UW customer support got them sorted in a day or less. When the GUI on the router had issues a new one was dispatched and arrived the following day. So no issues with support at all.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 14:18:39
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I'm still on ADSL with Utility Warehouse. 14 mbps down 0.6 mbps up. More than adequate for our hosehold needs.

That is great! The problem in 2020 is that so many people are working from home, and when schools were closed, entertaining kids, that the upload became the problem. My video calls (Cisco WebEx and Zoom) for work can go to 2 Mbps upload, so 0.6 would be a problem for me and my partner trying to work at the same time.

I moved from Plusnet FTTC last year, as I had 44 Mbps / 4 Mbps, whereas when I started with PN in 2016, I had 50 Mbps / 10 Mbps. I'm now on Virgin Media cable, which is not as good latency, and costs a lot more, but I have 20 Mbps upload. (200 down). I could pay for 100 download, which is only 10 Mbps upload - but I scrapped my PN / Openreach phone line as well, so put the money into the broadband.

I'm glad I did, made home working so much more fluid.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 17-Sep-20 15:02:22
Print Post

I'm still on ADSL with Utility Warehouse. 14 mbps down 0.6 mbps up. More than adequate for our hosehold needs.

What happens when someone plugs their phone in and it starts backing up? I find as soon as the upload is maxed out that the download becomes very poor.

I think upload is what kills ADSL being useful for many as I am sure lots of people (such as my parents) find it good enough when getting 10-20mb.

It's got to be well over 10 years ago I had ADSL with 2mb upload via O2 and even then before phones updating, video calls and massive cloud backups I remember it being pretty poor when uploading pictures to ebay, or using google picasso. I can bet back then I was probably one of the few who even had annex M ADSL.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 15:07:40
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
I think upload is what kills ADSL being useful for many as I am sure lots of people (such as my parents) find it good enough when getting 10-20mb.

Same for me. ITU G.992.5 Annex M was a good idea, I would happily have traded a few Mbps downstream for extra upstream.

Oliver.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-20 16:30:09
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I get a read receipt that says so.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Shell Energy, NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 17-Sep-20 17:17:43
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:

Never heard of that capability outside of Lotus Notes. Either way, emails will go into a CRM so you’d never get a true acknowledgement as it’s replicated so no longer an email but a work item.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-20 17:20:57
Print Post

Is Lotus Notes still running? I used to use that.

Whatever the reason I get a notification and consider it rude for someone to delete an email without even reading it!

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Shell Energy, NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 18:06:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by gary333:
Never heard of that capability outside of Lotus Notes.

Depends on the email client/server. Some will send back "deleted and not read" for emails with a read receipt header, although the email client is perhaps being too honest in that case!

Oliver.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 09:07:48
Print Post

Only got phone and broadband as a utility. Stopped the gas and electricity years ago.

UW cashback card makes the phone and broadband about £15/month. This includes free calls after 7pm and all weekend.

It would cost an extra £5 per month for fibre but we don't need it so saving £60 per year.

Some people moan when their broadband increases by £1.

Only had 3 issues with the line in 7 years and the UW customer support got them sorted in a day or less. When the GUI on the router had issues a new one was dispatched and arrived the following day. So no issues with support at all.

£20 a month for FTTC is pretty good to be honest as long as it is reliable.
You say you do not need FTTC, but you may be surprised how much difference it makes.
At the end of the day it depends on what you use your internet for, I know someone still on dial up PAYG.

For me, FTTC have allowed me to stream service like netflix and Amazon video, watch 4K YouTube videos and other 4K video services. Services like discord will still work while I am downloading something.

But if you are fine with what you have got then that is fine. Even if I could get a faster speed I doubt I would bother unless it was offered at the same price as my broadband does what I want. Have no interest in FTTP if/when it comes here.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 09:10:27
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:

i did not think normal email had that capability.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to