User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Sat 19-Sep-20 10:21:56
Print Post

Re: Good basic ADSL service

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Why backup to the cloud when you can backup to a laptop?

Why? Common sense, safety, peace of mind I would say.

You need to back up any file you think is important to you. You have free cloud options which will be enough for most people and to be honest your daft not to use it. I have files on my C drive backed up on another internal drive then on my home NAS and stand alone external drives and some of them on the cloud. The really important legal and family history/photos stuff is also stored on my son and my daughters computers and encrypted pen drives...bottom line is you can never have too many backups.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Sep-20 12:57:43
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

I think a burnt down house is more of an issue than losing a few documents, photos , etc.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Sep-20 12:59:21
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Amazon has a different compression system compared to Netflix.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Sep-20 14:13:24
Print Post

I think a burnt down house is more of an issue than losing a few documents, photos , etc.
For many it is the sentimental things like photos that hit hardest after an event like this. A house can be rebuilt but if you've lost photos then you can't get them back.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Mon 21-Sep-20 14:44:31
Print Post

Not quite sure how that is relevant to your original question "Why backup to the cloud when you can backup to a laptop?" and my response.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Mon 21-Sep-20 14:49:06
Print Post

A house is just a shelter, you could easily just go to a hotel if it burned down and longer term re-build to better than it was before.

Photos & videos from 15+ years showing the kids growing up, family events, dead loved ones etc are far more important than some bricks and tiles.
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-20 09:00:43
Print Post

Netflix 4k minimum is 25Mbps
Amazon and Youtube 4k minimum is 15Mbps

If your sync speed is 14Mbps you would get 12.35Mbps of throughput
Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 22-Sep-20 09:32:35
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielhyde:

This is the minimum *recommended* speed, however it's not the minimum required speed to operate. Netflix tops out in some scenes on say the newest 4k entries like "The Crown" at around 15Mbps, however most 4k material they have ranges from 11-14Mbps.

Although in principle I do agree. I had a 19-20mb line previously and 4k was hit or miss, especially in anyone else tried to load a video when trying to watch Youtube or Netflix where it would just silently drop the quality.

With Youtube you can get a 4k video to cache so by waiting quite some time on a slower connection you can get it to work. Although you are correct, he did say it would play without buffering, which is unlikely on Youtube but potentially possible. However the result of using 4k on such a slow line would mean he'd have locked up the entire connection, or caused buffering as Youtube is sausage factory video delivery. If connection was maxed out then it would have dropped down and the person would be unaware they were not watching 4k unless they had the "stats for nerds" open.
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-20 10:09:40
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
In reply to a post by danielhyde:

This is the minimum *recommended* speed, however it's not the minimum required speed to operate. Netflix tops out in some scenes on say the newest 4k entries like "The Crown" at around 15Mbps, however most 4k material they have ranges from 11-14Mbps.

Although in principle I do agree. I had a 19-20mb line previously and 4k was hit or miss, especially in anyone else tried to load a video when trying to watch Youtube or Netflix where it would just silently drop the quality.

With Youtube you can get a 4k video to cache so by waiting quite some time on a slower connection you can get it to work. Although you are correct, he did say it would play without buffering, which is unlikely on Youtube but potentially possible. However the result of using 4k on such a slow line would mean he'd have locked up the entire connection, or caused buffering as Youtube is sausage factory video delivery. If connection was maxed out then it would have dropped down and the person would be unaware they were not watching 4k unless they had the "stats for nerds" open.

I was only stating the facts as I see them smile
I agree with your analysis of what I posted, but as I put if the sync speed is 14Mbps the actual throughput is only around 80% which is about 12.35Mbps.
If that is correct it puts it towards the lower end of the range of the 4K bandwidth.
In my personal experience when I had ADSL at 22Mbps sync it would struggle with buffering on 4K even with no one else using the connection but that could've been a TalkTalk issue in their network.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-20 21:47:27
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:
Is Lotus Notes still running? I used to use that.

Some of us still do. Lotus vanished into IBM, but they sold the Notes product set to HCL last year, now has email in a web browser, and the other "databases" also in a browser option.
https://www.hcltechsw.com/wps/portal/products/nd/home

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to