User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Sep-20 20:58:02
Print Post

Good basic ADSL service

[link to this post]

I am probably preaching to the converted here, but it does no harm to post something positive now and again. smile

Well, I am back with Plusnet and they are still offering a good basic ADSL service.

Took up the addition of a fixed IP. They seem to be one of the few budget suppliers that offer this and it's a reasonable one-off fee rather than a monthly add-on.

Speeds aren't great but they are useable. It just surprises me in this day and age that upload is still less than 1M.

A few glitches in the initial setup/install for which there still seems to be long queues on the phone to sort out, but hopefully I won't need to contact them again.

Even had my offer email through, so hopefully get my payment card in the near future.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Shell Energy, NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Sep-20 00:10:29
Print Post

Re: Good basic ADSL service

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

tongue
I hope you mean ADSL2+. A basic ADSL connection would max at 448kbps upload, with 892kbps (IIRC) available as an upgrade.
tongue wink

AIUI any xDSLx service/product will negotiate down to ADSL2+ anyway if that's the highest the modem at either end supports.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 11-Sep-20 00:12:47)

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Sep-20 02:22:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Can you even get ADSL these days?

I was simply trying to clarify that it wasn't fibre. wink

I guess it won't be long before fibre will be the only option available.

Previously - Shell Energy, NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-20 10:20:00
Print Post

you can still get ADSL MAX, I know of a few connections still using this technology.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Sep-20 10:24:56
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Wish you would stop calling me Max! LOL

Interesting. do you know who supplies this? I wouldn't have thought it any cheaper than ADSL2, but maybe it is available in exchanges feeding small villages miles away?

===========
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-20 10:54:37
Print Post

haha xD

As far as I'm aware its only provided on a contract that I'm involved with if nothing better is available and anyone who resells BT Wholesale could sell it.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Sep-20 11:20:49
Print Post

So in theory Plusnet can/are doing it?

===========
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-20 11:59:39
Print Post

I don't see why not, they probably only offer it where ADSL2 isn't available.
Standard User mwarby
(learned) Fri 11-Sep-20 13:15:54
Print Post

Indeed until this year my parents could only get ADSL there was never the ADSL2+ upgrade, although they now have FTTP. The exchange was originally an exchange activate exchange (you could only get 512, and only from a few ISPs) they later removed that restriction and allowed ADSL max
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Sep-20 13:23:04
Print Post

There's one to throw their billing system into even more fits! smile

===========
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Sep-20 08:13:35
Print Post

Plusnet have been fine for me, which is one of the reason I have stayed with them for at least another 18 months. i know I did have that connection problem, but that was an Open reach problem, but that is solved now.

I am shocked they are still offering an ADSL service of any type to new customers, but then I suppose there are still places that don't have FTTC.
I know one person who is still on ADSL, they are with Plusnet, who keeps trying to get them to go onto FTTC every time they renew. The reason they will not use FTTC is that houses around there have low speeds and problems with FTTC around there.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC

Edited by zyborg47 (Mon 14-Sep-20 08:15:24)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Sep-20 08:14:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:
There's one to throw their billing system into even more fits! smile

Never had a problem with their billing system.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Sep-20 10:26:32
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

That's good to hear.

There was someone else on here that said the same thing, but I think they had been with Plusnet for a long time. Maybe it only affects certain customers? New ones perhaps?

===========
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Sep-20 14:28:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Plusnet have been fine for me, which is one of the reason I have stayed with them for at least another 18 months. i know I did have that connection problem, but that was an Open reach problem, but that is solved now.

I am shocked they are still offering an ADSL service of any type to new customers, but then I suppose there are still places that don't have FTTC.
I know one person who is still on ADSL, they are with Plusnet, who keeps trying to get them to go onto FTTC every time they renew. The reason they will not use FTTC is that houses around there have low speeds and problems with FTTC around there.

Worse part is Plusnet do not offer both G.fast and FTTP on their product are shocked to be honest!

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Sep-20 18:35:24
Print Post

That's good to hear.

There was someone else on here that said the same thing, but I think they had been with Plusnet for a long time. Maybe it only affects certain customers? New ones perhaps?

I have been with them for a few years now, have to be nearly 5 years.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Sep-20 18:38:32
Print Post

Anyone having billing issues that has been with them for a few years or more?

Probably the wrong place to post this. Might be better on Plusnet Community, although that seems to be fairly quiet. wink

===========
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Sep-20 18:39:33
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Worse part is Plusnet do not offer both G.fast and FTTP on their product are shocked to be honest!

None of them makes any difference to me as for we don't have G.fast or FTTP here and even if we did I am not that bothered about taking up those services.
plusnet is supposed to be a budget provider I presume and is one of the reasons they do not offer those services, if you want those services then you go with BT or a provider that offer it.
Since Bt owns plusnet, I doubt BT will be in a rush to offer G.fast or FTTP on plusnet as they would want people to use their BT ISP and pay a premium for doing so.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Sep-20 15:12:39
Print Post

I was with Plusnet for 5 years, never a problem. Moved to cable for faster upload speeds when FTTC/VDSL upload speed decreased to a level I was unhappy with. Download was good.

Parents have been with Plusnet for 6 years, no problems, and a friend across town now 2 years (moved from Sky ADSL, to Plusnet ADSL, then Plusnet Fibre/FTTC) with no problems with billing.

Only those with problems report on forums, so you get a distorted view. We have no idea if it is 1% or 50% that have issues, and we never will !

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Sep-20 15:13:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
None of them makes any difference to me as for we don't have G.fast or FTTP here and even if we did I am not that bothered about taking up those services.
Neither option is here either. Although you can have 80/20 on FTTP.

plusnet is supposed to be a budget provider I presume and is one of the reasons they do not offer those services, if you want those services then you go with BT or a provider that offer it.
Since Bt owns plusnet, I doubt BT will be in a rush to offer G.fast or FTTP on plusnet as they would want people to use their BT ISP and pay a premium for doing so.

Or their EE brand.

BT Consumer has three bands:
* BT
* EE
* Plusnet

And it is often hard to tell the last two apart!

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Sep-20 15:22:11
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Good to hear of your positive experiences.

As you say we will never know what percentage of customers do have problems, but according to a couple of posts I read recently some still are. frown

The lack of respons to my complaint seems to suggest Plusnet just don't care.

===========
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Sep-20 09:18:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Neither option is here either. Although you can have 80/20 on FTTP.

I am not bothered, if/when FTTP come here, and they offer me it for a good price I may take it, but to be honest pay enough as it is, but it will be a few years if we ever get it.
I am fine with my 35Mb/s Maybe uploading could be better, certainly if I decide to do my own you tube videos, when I have the energy to do it.

Or their EE brand.

BT Consumer has three bands:
* BT
* EE
* Plusnet

And it is often hard to tell the last two apart!

True,
I know someone with EE and EE must have a different customer service, because they are certainly not as good as Plusnet have been to me

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Sep-20 09:20:31
Print Post

Good to hear of your positive experiences.

As you say we will never know what percentage of customers do have problems, but according to a couple of posts I read recently some still are. frown

The lack of respons to my complaint seems to suggest Plusnet just don't care.

They must have changed in the last couple of years, have you tried their forums, not that you should have to go on their forums. That is one of my problems with Talk Talk, if you have a problem, go on their forums.

give plusnet a ring, how far are you away from the end of your contract?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Sep-20 09:27:19
Print Post

Yes, have posted on their "Community" as they call it.

I've just started my contract, but I been with them a number of times over the years. I usually swap annually between them and Sky as they don't contact me with any offers before my contract expires.

===========
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Sep-20 14:14:43
Print Post

I'm still on ADSL with Utility Warehouse. 14 mbps down 0.6 mbps up. More than adequate for our hosehold needs.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Sep-20 22:07:36
Print Post

Yes, have posted on their "Community" as they call it.

I've just started my contract, but I been with them a number of times over the years. I usually swap annually between them and Sky as they don't contact me with any offers before my contract expires.

So what was/is the problem?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Sep-20 22:09:24
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I'm still on ADSL with Utility Warehouse. 14 mbps down 0.6 mbps up. More than adequate for our hosehold needs.

It is fine if that works for you, the problem is that sometimes you pay more for ADSL than for FTTC, I can understand if you can not get FTTC.
The people I know on ADSl is paying a fair bit less than they would on FTTC and like you they get a decent speed.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-20 00:56:31
Print Post

No real problem, just lack of customer service.

I've raised several points that have just been ignored. Correction my emails have just been deleted without being read!

===========
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Sep-20 01:40:48
Print Post

How much is that cost compare to FTTC cost? I reckon FTTC is cheaper than ADSL

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 09:41:40
Print Post

No real problem, just lack of customer service.

I've raised several points that have just been ignored. Correction my emails have just been deleted without being read!

Very strange, how do you know they have been delated?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 09:45:29
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:

How much is that cost compare to FTTC cost? I reckon FTTC is cheaper than ADSL

UW does things differently to other providers, they bundle things together, so you have gas, electric and broadband bundled up.
I am not sure if it is possible to have one thing from them, i have heard some bad things about them to be honest like customer service being worse than Talk Talk, if that is possible.
But I know of one person who uses them and have been for a while and have no problems what so ever, but they do not live around here and I have no idea what network UW uses.

Not something I would do, I am not fond of putting all my eggs in one basket. i did have plusnet mobile for a while, it was fine, but smarty is cheaper.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Sep-20 13:51:57
Print Post

Only got phone and broadband as a utility. Stopped the gas and electricity years ago.

UW cashback card makes the phone and broadband about £15/month. This includes free calls after 7pm and all weekend.

It would cost an extra £5 per month for fibre but we don't need it so saving £60 per year.

Some people moan when their broadband increases by £1.

Only had 3 issues with the line in 7 years and the UW customer support got them sorted in a day or less. When the GUI on the router had issues a new one was dispatched and arrived the following day. So no issues with support at all.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 14:18:39
Print Post

That is great! The problem in 2020 is that so many people are working from home, and when schools were closed, entertaining kids, that the upload became the problem. My video calls (Cisco WebEx and Zoom) for work can go to 2 Mbps upload, so 0.6 would be a problem for me and my partner trying to work at the same time.

I moved from Plusnet FTTC last year, as I had 44 Mbps / 4 Mbps, whereas when I started with PN in 2016, I had 50 Mbps / 10 Mbps. I'm now on Virgin Media cable, which is not as good latency, and costs a lot more, but I have 20 Mbps upload. (200 down). I could pay for 100 download, which is only 10 Mbps upload - but I scrapped my PN / Openreach phone line as well, so put the money into the broadband.

I'm glad I did, made home working so much more fluid.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 17-Sep-20 15:02:22
Print Post

What happens when someone plugs their phone in and it starts backing up? I find as soon as the upload is maxed out that the download becomes very poor.

I think upload is what kills ADSL being useful for many as I am sure lots of people (such as my parents) find it good enough when getting 10-20mb.

It's got to be well over 10 years ago I had ADSL with 2mb upload via O2 and even then before phones updating, video calls and massive cloud backups I remember it being pretty poor when uploading pictures to ebay, or using google picasso. I can bet back then I was probably one of the few who even had annex M ADSL.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 15:07:40
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
I think upload is what kills ADSL being useful for many as I am sure lots of people (such as my parents) find it good enough when getting 10-20mb.

Same for me. ITU G.992.5 Annex M was a good idea, I would happily have traded a few Mbps downstream for extra upstream.

Oliver.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-20 16:30:09
Print Post

I get a read receipt that says so.

===========
Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 17-Sep-20 17:17:43
Print Post

Never heard of that capability outside of Lotus Notes. Either way, emails will go into a CRM so you’d never get a true acknowledgement as it’s replicated so no longer an email but a work item.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-20 17:20:57
Print Post

Is Lotus Notes still running? I used to use that.

Whatever the reason I get a notification and consider it rude for someone to delete an email without even reading it!

===========
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 18:06:41
Print Post

Never heard of that capability outside of Lotus Notes.

Depends on the email client/server. Some will send back "deleted and not read" for emails with a read receipt header, although the email client is perhaps being too honest in that case!

Oliver.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 09:07:48
Print Post

Only got phone and broadband as a utility. Stopped the gas and electricity years ago.

UW cashback card makes the phone and broadband about £15/month. This includes free calls after 7pm and all weekend.

It would cost an extra £5 per month for fibre but we don't need it so saving £60 per year.

Some people moan when their broadband increases by £1.

Only had 3 issues with the line in 7 years and the UW customer support got them sorted in a day or less. When the GUI on the router had issues a new one was dispatched and arrived the following day. So no issues with support at all.

£20 a month for FTTC is pretty good to be honest as long as it is reliable.
You say you do not need FTTC, but you may be surprised how much difference it makes.
At the end of the day it depends on what you use your internet for, I know someone still on dial up PAYG.

For me, FTTC have allowed me to stream service like netflix and Amazon video, watch 4K YouTube videos and other 4K video services. Services like discord will still work while I am downloading something.

But if you are fine with what you have got then that is fine. Even if I could get a faster speed I doubt I would bother unless it was offered at the same price as my broadband does what I want. Have no interest in FTTP if/when it comes here.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 09:10:27
Print Post

i did not think normal email had that capability.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:20:39
Print Post

If by "normal" you mean M$ products then probably not.

===========
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:23:45
Print Post

Incorrect. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-and-r...

Oliver.
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Sep-20 18:10:13
Print Post

Why backup to the cloud when you can backup to a laptop?

(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Sep-20 18:12:57
Print Post

I'm not saying that it is ok for everyone but my daughter was using Teams, Zoom, etc for her schooling and my wife was accessing her school SIMS from home and it all went smoothly.

(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Sep-20 18:15:01
Print Post

Have watched 4K on Prime and that doesn't buffer and all other streaming is SD or HD so no issues at all.

(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Sep-20 18:16:48
Print Post

I'm sure Outlook used to give a "read" notification.

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 18-Sep-20 18:39:41
Print Post

So when your house burns down in the middle of the night and you were in too much of a hurry to get out to risk your life trying to pick up the laptop which was lying near the epicentre of the fire you haven't lost everything,
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Sep-20 09:56:44
Print Post

I mean the specifications for email, sure you can get or could get email Client software that had their own system, but then that only worked if the other person used the same software.
email software is getting less as a lot of people uses webmail these days on computers, they use apps on their phones, but these are normally already installed.

i use thuinderbird myself, I think there is something in there to do with letting you know if an email have been received , but i expect it only works if the other person is using thunderbird. Saying all of that, the specs could have changed over the years.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Sep-20 09:59:04
Print Post

Have watched 4K on Prime and that doesn't buffer and all other streaming is SD or HD so no issues at all.

i presume amazon system must check the speed of your internet and downgrade the quality, but you would not stream in full 4K on ADSL.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Sep-20 10:03:16
Print Post

I don't use cloud backup either, any documents that are really important I stick on a a USB stick as well as my external drive and then I put the USB stick outside the house where it can not be found.

i have now got my Nas, which I use as well for easy access, or it would be easy access if Windows 10 would play ball and display what is on the network, but then this have also ways be a problem with Windows.
I was thinking of sticking the nas in the shed and putting a Ethernet cable across to it, the problem is power and also the tempture in the shed in the winter

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Sat 19-Sep-20 10:21:56
Print Post

Why? Common sense, safety, peace of mind I would say.

You need to back up any file you think is important to you. You have free cloud options which will be enough for most people and to be honest your daft not to use it. I have files on my C drive backed up on another internal drive then on my home NAS and stand alone external drives and some of them on the cloud. The really important legal and family history/photos stuff is also stored on my son and my daughters computers and encrypted pen drives...bottom line is you can never have too many backups.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Sep-20 12:57:43
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

I think a burnt down house is more of an issue than losing a few documents, photos , etc.

(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Sep-20 12:59:21
Print Post

Amazon has a different compression system compared to Netflix.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Sep-20 14:13:24
Print Post

I think a burnt down house is more of an issue than losing a few documents, photos , etc.
For many it is the sentimental things like photos that hit hardest after an event like this. A house can be rebuilt but if you've lost photos then you can't get them back.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Mon 21-Sep-20 14:44:31
Print Post

Not quite sure how that is relevant to your original question "Why backup to the cloud when you can backup to a laptop?" and my response.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Mon 21-Sep-20 14:49:06
Print Post

A house is just a shelter, you could easily just go to a hotel if it burned down and longer term re-build to better than it was before.

Photos & videos from 15+ years showing the kids growing up, family events, dead loved ones etc are far more important than some bricks and tiles.
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-20 09:00:43
Print Post

Netflix 4k minimum is 25Mbps
Amazon and Youtube 4k minimum is 15Mbps

If your sync speed is 14Mbps you would get 12.35Mbps of throughput
Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 22-Sep-20 09:32:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by danielhyde:

This is the minimum *recommended* speed, however it's not the minimum required speed to operate. Netflix tops out in some scenes on say the newest 4k entries like "The Crown" at around 15Mbps, however most 4k material they have ranges from 11-14Mbps.

Although in principle I do agree. I had a 19-20mb line previously and 4k was hit or miss, especially in anyone else tried to load a video when trying to watch Youtube or Netflix where it would just silently drop the quality.

With Youtube you can get a 4k video to cache so by waiting quite some time on a slower connection you can get it to work. Although you are correct, he did say it would play without buffering, which is unlikely on Youtube but potentially possible. However the result of using 4k on such a slow line would mean he'd have locked up the entire connection, or caused buffering as Youtube is sausage factory video delivery. If connection was maxed out then it would have dropped down and the person would be unaware they were not watching 4k unless they had the "stats for nerds" open.
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-20 10:09:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by danielhyde:

This is the minimum *recommended* speed, however it's not the minimum required speed to operate. Netflix tops out in some scenes on say the newest 4k entries like "The Crown" at around 15Mbps, however most 4k material they have ranges from 11-14Mbps.

Although in principle I do agree. I had a 19-20mb line previously and 4k was hit or miss, especially in anyone else tried to load a video when trying to watch Youtube or Netflix where it would just silently drop the quality.

With Youtube you can get a 4k video to cache so by waiting quite some time on a slower connection you can get it to work. Although you are correct, he did say it would play without buffering, which is unlikely on Youtube but potentially possible. However the result of using 4k on such a slow line would mean he'd have locked up the entire connection, or caused buffering as Youtube is sausage factory video delivery. If connection was maxed out then it would have dropped down and the person would be unaware they were not watching 4k unless they had the "stats for nerds" open.

I was only stating the facts as I see them smile
I agree with your analysis of what I posted, but as I put if the sync speed is 14Mbps the actual throughput is only around 80% which is about 12.35Mbps.
If that is correct it puts it towards the lower end of the range of the 4K bandwidth.
In my personal experience when I had ADSL at 22Mbps sync it would struggle with buffering on 4K even with no one else using the connection but that could've been a TalkTalk issue in their network.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-20 21:47:27
Print Post

Some of us still do. Lotus vanished into IBM, but they sold the Notes product set to HCL last year, now has email in a web browser, and the other "databases" also in a browser option.
https://www.hcltechsw.com/wps/portal/products/nd/home

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Sep-20 22:19:58
Print Post

Mine used to run on OS2; remember that? wink

===========
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Sep-20 22:24:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Some of us still do. Lotus vanished into IBM, but they sold the Notes product set to HCL last year, now has email in a web browser, and the other "databases" also in a browser option.
https://www.hcltechsw.com/wps/portal/products/nd/home
Was never a lover of Lotus ccMail or Notes (I never liked LotusScript programming language), I have to say I did like and enjoy the Lotus Sametime product.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-20 09:07:08
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

We used Notes for years and it was handy for knocking up some quick database applications. The problem was everyone was given the ability to create applications which then left a nightmare to get rid of it because nobody knew how the applications worked but of course they were all "critical". We still have one PC that is disconnected from the network running a Notes database about 4 years after we got rid of the servers.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Sep-20 10:38:02
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
We used Notes for years and it was handy for knocking up some quick database applications. The problem was everyone was given the ability to create applications which then left a nightmare to get rid of it because nobody knew how the applications worked but of course they were all "critical". We still have one PC that is disconnected from the network running a Notes database about 4 years after we got rid of the servers.
A lot of enterprise size businesses have moved to Microsoft Exchange as they can integrate it into Active Directory with a schema extension.
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:46:44
Print Post

Because YOU mentioned burning houses!

(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:51:24
Print Post

The few 4K documentaries and videos that I've watched have shown no signs of going from 4K to HD.

Those are my facts.

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Wed 23-Sep-20 19:18:34
Print Post

Because YOU mentioned burning houses!

As an example of the circumstances where you might lose the laptop and all of your archived material. If you would prefer we can talk about a catastrophic failure of the hard disk on the laptop instead if it will help you to think about your original question rather than going off at a tangent.
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Sep-20 13:15:08
Print Post

No one is going off at a tangent. This forum is fluid and if someone mentions something else then the discussion can change.

How much to store 600GB of data.

Not much on a few hard drives. Raid use makes it easy on multiple machines.

Not many houses are destroyed due to fire, explosion, etc.

My first post was about adequate bandwidth to do what I want to do.

Edited by broadband66 (Thu 24-Sep-20 13:17:33)

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Thu 24-Sep-20 16:25:02
Print Post

No one is going off at a tangent. This forum is fluid and if someone mentions something else then the discussion can change.

How much to store 600GB of data.

Not much on a few hard drives. Raid use makes it easy on multiple machines.

Not many houses are destroyed due to fire, explosion, etc.

My first post was about adequate bandwidth to do what I want to do.

In which case your post (the complete text of which is "Why backup to the cloud when you can backup to a laptop?") perhaps needs a bit of amplification so those of us without second sight can follow your train of thought.

Also interested about how "backup to a laptop" has morphed to "Not much on a few hard drives. Raid use makes it easy on multiple machines." Again second sight needed to fathom your original post.

Edited by GonePostal (Thu 24-Sep-20 16:27:35)

(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Sep-20 12:53:53
Print Post

Good grief. I backup from and to many machines.

My first post was before the one you quote.

Engage brain and read.

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 25-Sep-20 15:06:40
Print Post

Engage brain and read.

Two of us with the same problem?
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Sep-20 12:09:30
Print Post

Not me.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 26-Sep-20 18:30:59
Print Post

I'm still on ADSL, yet sure FTTC is available here. I know that's my lookout, and it's up to me to change it if I feel the time is right, but contrary to your friend's experience, Plusnet have never prompted or pushed me whatsoever. If they had, I might have done something about it by now!

I looked on my account to see if there were any juicy upgrade offers, but all it had was a discount for taking another 18 months of ADSL. Whilst I don't like being badgered by firms about products and services I have little need for or interest in, Plusnet could hardly be accused of that!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to