User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ConsumersFriend
(committed) Thu 29-Oct-20 12:14:35
Print Post

Internet package without phone

[link to this post]

Anyone know what adsl packages Plusnet can currently provide without bundling a phone line?
Have an elderly relative who historically has BT for phone & PlusNet for internet; it looks as if they are on a 1Gb/mth package! (£11?) and with ongoing lockdown I am trying to configure video (Skype/Facebook) for them but I think will need a higher data allowance. It will be easiest not to disturb anything by installing fibre/changing provider, so looking at just altering the contract package.
Disappointed that with very elderly customers PlusNet has made no attempt to contact them about what account is most suitable, and on trying to contact them their Chat is just a Bot which is useless & wasted my time, and then their phone lines are on hold indeterminately.
If anyone from Plusnet monitors this forum perhaps they can contact me?
Thanks
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Thu 29-Oct-20 12:50:10
Print Post

Re: Internet package without phone

[re: ConsumersFriend] [link to this post]

AFAIK there's no current option to not include a line.

If you want to speak with PlusNet on behalf of your relative, then it will require a call from him/her to have you included on the account as an authorised person.

I've had no problem getting through to them on the phone on two occasions recently and I have always found them to be very helpful.

I'm sure that they look at this forum from time to time but it's a long time since I saw any of their customer service agents posting here. I use the PlusNet Community Forum when an issue arises that doesn't necessitate a phone call.

plusnet FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Oct-20 13:16:35
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Looks like they stopped doing broadband only packages at the start of this year.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Oct-20 13:55:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Even when they did do broadband only you were still required to maintain a line rental for voice from some other provider

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Thu 29-Oct-20 16:52:45
Print Post

Plusnet stopped selling broadband-only packages at the beginning of December 2019, if you stay with them you would have to migrate to a broadband with phone package. AFAIK pretty much all of big ISPs now only sell combined packages.

If the phone is used the call charges from both BT and Plusnet are eye-watering unless you also have a call package, it may be worth looking at smaller providers who offer much more sensible rates, and can also offer broadband-only packages.

Migrating the phone service to another provider using Openreach wholesale will not incur any downtime, just the billing moves. Migrating the broadband service to another provider should not involve any engineer visits as you have an active service - it is just a case of swapping the router on the day of the changeover when the current service stops, although there can sometimes be delays of upto a few hours.

I've used CIX, and others on here have used Pulse8, both provide phone-only, broadband-only and broadband-with-phone packages. You do have to provide your own router, this does have the advantage that you can use the SSID and key from the existing router so all the WiFi devices do not require reconfiguring.
Standard User ConsumersFriend
(committed) Thu 29-Oct-20 17:56:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks - sounds as if the easiest solution will be to move the internet connection to BT who already supply the phone line.
Standard User Thrall2000
(newbie) Mon 02-Nov-20 07:39:17
Print Post

Plusnet aren’t charging for extra usage currently on their limited usage packages: https://www.plus.net/help/covid-19/

Also why not call the customer options team on 0800 013 2632 to move the phone across to them and save money on broadband too.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Nov-20 08:04:17
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tdw42:
If the phone is used the call charges from both BT and Plusnet are eye-watering unless you also have a call package

Note that Plusnet does have the following features:

- they don't block indirect access carrier selection
- you can turn on "bar all outgoing calls"

I combine both of these: I use 18185.co.uk as the carrier, which means I have to prefix outgoing calls with 18185, and the call barring means I can't accidentally use Plusnet for calls.

(Of course, if the PSTN migration continues as planned, then by around 2025 it'll all be VOIP anyway)
  Print Thread

Jump to