User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Oct-20 21:38:15
Print Post

How long for activation?!

[link to this post]

My father has decided to join the 21st century and finally ordered his first broadband service through John Lewis. He placed the order on 22nd October and the router arrived today. He plugged it in and the green light for Internet on the router wasn't lit so he phoned and asked what was up. He was told that the service won't be activated until 12th November. That's 3 weeks from the date of order, is that typical now for a new installation (rather than a migration) or is this just another Covid issue?

Edited by sjr (Fri 30-Oct-20 21:38:47)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Oct-20 00:49:45
Print Post

Re: How long for activation?!

[re: sjr] [link to this post]

It's entirely dependent on the local staffing levels. It's certainly not out of the ordinary and imo quick taking into account there's an ongoing pandemic.

Migrations are a minimum of 10 working days because of OFCOM rules but a migration is done remotely at the cabinet so local workloads tend not to delay them.

Is this a landline being upgraded to a FTTC service or is it a whole new line activation?
Any fibre service being ordered for the 1st time will require work at the cabinet and a new line might also require a home visit.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Oct-20 08:13:55
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

It is just a new ADSL service he's having, never had any sort of broadband on his line before. He only wants it for iPlayer and the likes and the cost as low as possible so ADSL with a 12Mb estimate for where he is will be fine for his needs. Phone line is currently with BT.

Edited by sjr (Sat 31-Oct-20 08:18:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sat 31-Oct-20 09:29:54
Print Post

I stand to be corrected, I don't think there is any cost saving in going for ADSL now as compared to FTTC.

plusnet FTTC
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Oct-20 11:07:11
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

There's about a £4 or £5 difference so not a lot in it but as I said he wanted to keep the cost as low as possible.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 17:11:34
Print Post

Well it turns out he didn't get his service activated yesterday as originally promised. he had a letter from BT saying that somebody was trying to take over his phone line and to get in touch with them. He phoned BT and confirmed that he did want John Lewis Broadband to take over the line but in order to do that BT ceased the line so that JL could immediately grab the number. This meant that he was without a phone line for 24 hours (from yesterday until this morning). He has now been promised activation on.Wednesday 18th.

Surely something has gone very wrong here? There's no way a simple switch to a standard ADSL product from one BT company to another (Plusnet via JL) should need a cease and re-provide and 24 hours downtime, is there?
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 17:45:28
Print Post

Was that a "sorry you are leaving" letter from BT retail? If so by calling them that may have fouled up the line rental migration and ADSL activation...
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 18:05:26
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I can't say for sure but the way he described it was as if BT weren't going to release the line unless he confirmed that was what he wanted. He's never had broadband before and has had the same number with BT for almost 50 years so maybe the BT systems flagged up the move as unusual and possibly fraudulent?
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 18:13:48
Print Post

All I know is that dealing with BT retail can be a nightmare!
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 18:24:39
Print Post

Ain't that the truth! Well, fingers crossed he *finally* gets connected on Wednesday. If not I think he'll be telling them where they can shove their broadband.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 13-Nov-20 18:43:06
Print Post

You might need to box a bit clever. I'm guessing that your father would be most dis-chuffed if he has lost what may be his long standing phone number so I wouldn't go in too hard in the first instance in case you need some help in trying to hold on to his number.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 18:49:44
Print Post

Even if he is successfully connected keep an eye on BT retail's billing - I've known of a further one month of line rental being charged despite the two week notice period for line rental migration and it can be a hassle to get it refunded.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Fri 13-Nov-20 19:13:20
Print Post

@sjr Did the letter saying that the line is being taken over really ask for confirmation by calling BT? This is where the problem occurred, calling BT was the worst possible thing to do as they have now put a cease on the line delaying everything.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:17:34
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

JL have confirmed he will keep the number so that's good
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:20:33
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

I haven't seen the letter (he's in Glasgow and I'm in Kent) but that;s the gist of it from what he was saying. BT clearly did put a cease on the line as he was without the phone for 24 hours but it is back working on the same number.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:21:56
Print Post

He knows to keep an eye out for any nonsense like that
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:31:56
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Do those letters now mention the name of the potentially gaining provider? If not it could certainly be misleading. In the past I seem to remember that BT retail (and others) were not specific regarding this...
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:36:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by sjr:
He knows to keep an eye out for any nonsense like that

Yes as perhaps a bonny Scotsman I'm sure he would smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 13-Nov-20 23:18:16
Print Post

Unless things have changed, the losing provider isn't supposed to know which is the gaining provider.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Nov-20 00:06:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Unless things have changed, the losing provider isn't supposed to know which is the gaining provider.

"CHANGE OF TELEPHONE SUPPLIER

You are receiving this correspondence as we have received notification that a request has been made to transfer your telephone service to another communications provider.

Your service is due to transfer on Wednesday, 6th September 2017.

Following on from this if there are any charges outstanding we will send you a final bill which will include any early termination charges, if applicable, for switching providers before your contract with xxx has ended. The final bill will give a breakdown of charges due for payment. Our Credit & Billing Team will contact you regarding payment or alternatively call them on xxx

Your new telephone company will supply your telephone service from the transfer date.

If you have ordered the transfer of this service to another provider and are happy for it to proceed, then no further action is required. We will continue to provide your service until the transfer completes, at which time we will close your account and send you a final bill.

If you have not agreed to this transfer please contact our Customer Service team on xxx.

If you have since decided not to transfer your service away, the transfer can only be cancelled by contacting your new provider."

The above quote is from an email to me from a losing provider back in 2017. I assume the notification of transfer to the losing provider xxx came from OpenReach? There is no mention of the name of the gaining provider and no need to contact the losing provider xxx if one is happy to proceed with the transfer to this unnamed gaining provider. I guess there are now similar notifications in 2020?
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Nov-20 00:27:20
Print Post

Uno was electronically notified of my TTB transfer. Even posted the data in a ticket.

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Nov-20 00:41:09
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

That's interesting because my line rental transfer back in 2017 was from a BTw service to another BTw service and the gaining providers name was not stated in the email notification to me.

Edited by 4M2 (Sat 14-Nov-20 00:42:18)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Nov-20 00:44:49
Print Post

Sorry, I will clarify, I was having a to and fro with Uno billing about the cease charge and Uno pasted the data to say who was taking over the line. It wasn't in the Cease email.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Nov-20 01:01:52
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Yes but uno did some how know about your intended migration to Pulse8 or TTB FTTC MPF.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Nov-20 01:06:27
Print Post

Yes presumably by Openreach, I have just checked the ticket and it has an OR ref.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User rcranswick
(member) Sat 14-Nov-20 07:20:58
Print Post

Certain types of orders will contain the RID of the gaining provider - Reseller identification (RID) codes Reseller identification codes (RIDs) are a type of code that Ofcom allocates to communications providers (CPs) for administrative purposes. They are three-character alphabetic codes which are used in the Notification of Transfer (NoT) switching process and can be used it identify a reseller of wholesale services.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Nov-20 15:58:28
Print Post

[re: rcranswick] [link to this post]

So in the OP father's case the gaining providers identity would probably be known by BT retail (the losing provider) since the intended transfer of the line to JL (the gaining provider) are both providers of BT wholesale (BTw) services.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Nov-20 18:15:07
Print Post

Indeed, makes me wonder why there has been such a mess of it for what should have been something so simple. Nearly a month from order to the newly promised activation date and no phone for 24 hours. Ridiculous, really.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Nov-20 10:21:51
Print Post

Well here we are one month after he ordered an ADSL service and he's still not been connected and still hasn't been given a firm date for when it will be activated. John Lewis/Plusnet have had his line for at least a couple of weeks now so what on earth is making it take so long?
This should have been a simple switch from one BTW provider to another.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Dec-20 15:51:03
Print Post

Well he *finally* got connected yesterday so ordered on 23rd October and not connected until 1st December. Five and a half weeks seems ridiculous for a standard ADSL provide on a working BT landline.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to