User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 27-Feb-21 13:47:47
Print Post

Downtime if upgrade to fibre?

[link to this post]

It looks like my old ADSL router is on the way out. As I'm out of contract, Plusnet will charge me to supply a new one - or I could just go on eBay, which looks like most people's recommended way. But I probably might as well bite the bullet and upgrade to fibre anyway. The only hitch: I need to submit an academic assignment at the end of March, and can't risk being without internet. If I place an order for the upgrade, (a) What is the likely lead time, and (b) how long, if at all, can I expect to be without internet as the switch takes place?
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Sun 28-Feb-21 21:35:52
Print Post

Re: Downtime if upgrade to fibre?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

A friend of mine went from ADSL to FTTC with Talk Talk and there was little downtime, but then Talk Talk seems to use the same router somehow.
It is pretty quick these days.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Feb-21 23:09:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
It looks like my old ADSL router is on the way out. As I'm out of contract, Plusnet will charge me to supply a new one - or I could just go on eBay, which looks like most people's recommended way.

If your throughput speeds are currently adequate for your needs then stick with ADSL for the time being. There are several pre-owned Billion BiPAC 7800N routers for sale on eBay for around £15 to £20 at the moment...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Mar-21 06:07:59
Print Post

Upgrade to FTTC .... the downtime should be about half an hour, often less.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Mar-21 10:01:01
Print Post

Do you have a phone with data that you could use to tether if there was a short period of downtime?
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 01-Mar-21 10:13:11
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

No.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 01-Mar-21 10:21:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Strictly speaking, for the purposes of the assignment at least, it shouldn't matter even in the unlikely event it was down for a day or two. As long as the outage was not on or immediately before the submission date of 30th March. That's all I was a bit worried about, really - Covid issues contributing to a long lead time, and then the internet going down the very day I'm trying to submit the work.
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Mar-21 10:58:00
Print Post

There's always McDonald's free wifi !
  Print Thread

Jump to