User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 30-Apr-21 21:09:10
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTP to be launched this summer

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ft247:
Are prices going up that much? You can get 80/20 Openreach VDSL for around £20 a month, especially if a promotional offer with cashback or a number of months free (or both) is used. I never used VDSL in its early days, can anyone remember what the pricing was like then?

Compared to when I first went onto what we now called broadband, the prices are lower. I paid £39 for 500Kb/s ADSL and that did not include line rental, the only reason I changed from dial up to ADSL at the time was because i had a lodger here and she agreed to pay half. I had a computer running all the time that would connect to the internet via a modem and my and her computer was connected via a co-ax network to it. Prices have come down from that, I think I paid £30 for VDSL in 2015, from plusnet, I have not got the invoices any more.

When I say about prices rising, I mean that they seem to be rising again, with different providers increasing their fees.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 30-Apr-21 21:19:48
Print Post

[re: Grimers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Grimers:
Jeez, dial-up until last year? Do Openreach even offer dial-up to providers nowadays?!

They were using Freeola until they closed dial up, and then they went with something called Web and mail or something like that, but they had little choice and to be honest they only used it for emails to their son, but when I found out that the mobile service was working better there, in that I did not have to stand at the very top of their garden to get signal, I managed to get them to sign up for Three 4G service, it works really well and now they really happy as they can see do video chats with their son and his family. I think they are going to go for Three home service, it will work out cheaper in the long run and be more reliable than connecting their laptop to a mobile phone.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 30-Apr-21 21:22:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's when the ISPs will be in trouble if they cannot provide it to end users. Such as you and I.

I thought it could be converted internally by the ISP or something like that? I have not really looked at IPv6 much , it looks complicated.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Apr-21 22:45:37
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

I wonder if you will have to use a Plusnet router with telephone ports for what I would expect to be their VOIP service or whether they will let customers know their VOIP connection parameters so that they can use their own equipment.

Michael Chare
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Sat 01-May-21 00:18:43
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Think it's extremely unlikely that they would allow customers access to any VoIP service they provide via anything other than the equipment they provide.

Not worth the hassle.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-May-21 10:25:22
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Isn't that called inflation?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-May-21 11:01:15
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

I wonder if they will let you cancel the phone service completely and just have broadband.

We recently had a call on our landline from the local electricity network saying that there would be a power cut. This was quite useful. They must have got the phone number from some sort of address lookup like the emergency services have.

My Sipgate VOIP service does have a registered address and I would like to ensure that such calls are made to that number. I avoid telling people the actual landline number and never use it for anything other than emergency calls.

If Plusnet were to tell me the connection details I could get my Gigaset N300 to register so that I would still receive such calls.

Michael Chare
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 01-May-21 12:44:56
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I wonder if they will let you cancel the phone service completely and just have broadband.

We recently had a call on our landline from the local electricity network saying that there would be a power cut. This was quite useful. They must have got the phone number from some sort of address lookup like the emergency services have.

My Sipgate VOIP service does have a registered address and I would like to ensure that such calls are made to that number. I avoid telling people the actual landline number and never use it for anything other than emergency calls.

If Plusnet were to tell me the connection details I could get my Gigaset N300 to register so that I would still receive such calls.

Nah, they got your number from your energy provider (not just the current one either).
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-May-21 13:00:28
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Nah, they got your number from your energy provider (not just the current one either).
I would never have told any energy supplier the proper landline number. I might tell them the VOIP number. All calls are made using VOIP

Michael Chare
Standard User Grimers
(member) Sat 01-May-21 18:22:10
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

That's great. I know of a family who lives in a very rural area. They were using BT FTTC but had a very long line from the cabinet... The highest I remember it connecting was 10 Mb/s, but normally it was a lot lower than this. They are in the plan for FTTP but apparently, it's still a long way off. They now have a 4G (EE) connection, which was installed by a local company, and it works a lot better.

Edited by Grimers (Sat 01-May-21 18:23:37)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to