User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Apr-21 03:48:20
Print Post

Plusnet FTTP to be launched this summer

[link to this post]

About time! https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/04/broadb...

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Wed 28-Apr-21 11:04:51
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTP to be launched this summer

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Make no odds here, we still don't have Out of Reach FTTP network and I have no idea when it will come, saying that not really sure if I would want it, even if the installation would be easier than Zzoomm, still not sure about Zzoomm either.

I have seen some OR vans around over the last few weeks, more than normal, but I don't think it has anything to do with FTTP as I am pretty sure it is not Open reach that does the work anyway, but contractors.

We will see what happens next year, I am in no rush, I still have until January to go on my contract and to be honest the speed of my broadband is fine, if Plusnet offers me the same price next year then I may take it

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Apr-21 11:29:06
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Well, I got email from openreach about rolling out FTTP in Telford as they replied below:

Presently at this current time, having checked with our senior project manager and the planning information, I am sorry to confirm that your immediate area is not currently included in any plan for an upgrade to FTTP via either BDUK Government Funded or our Commercial Openreach work.

Oh well, don't think FTTP won't be in Telford for a very long time sadly. frown

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Apr-21 19:35:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Have they worked out how to IPv6 yet?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Thu 29-Apr-21 08:35:20
Print Post

I don't know when OR is going to roll it out here, they say in the next 3 years, Zzoomm is already rolling it out, but the whole city won't be covered until the end of 2023 looking at their map and the problem is they are only covering the city, I know a few people in the sticks that would love better broadband. Maybe OR will see sense and get to them first, but I doubt it, they will stamp on Zzoomms turf instead.

I still in the mind set that FTTP really don't offer me any more than what I am getting now apart from extra speed, which is not going to make much difference to me.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Thu 29-Apr-21 08:36:24
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Have they worked out how to IPv6 yet?

Lots of providers don't use IPv6, I am pretty sure that Zzoomm don't use it, but I will have to check that out.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Thu 29-Apr-21 09:31:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Maybe OR will see sense and get to them first, but I doubt it, they will stamp on Zzoomms turf instead.

Who do you suggest should pay for OR seeing sense? Would it be shareholders, existing users or Government (i.e. us, the taxpayers)? OR are a business not a charity and the economics of business mean that they will try and boost their revenues at minimum expense rather than spending lots of money to service comparatively small numbers of users. If you don't like the way FTTP roll-out is going complain to the people setting the parameters for funding (i.e. the Government) rather than companies trying to do their best to stay in business.

Edited by GonePostal (Thu 29-Apr-21 14:01:27)

Standard User broadbandjockey
(committed) Thu 29-Apr-21 09:32:01
Print Post

What is needed, before the brave new world of no more analogue phone circuits kicks in, is the ability to port away your landline number to a VoIP supplier, without it killing your broadband account (regardless whether it's ADSL, VDSL, or FTTP)

Applies to all ISPs I think (except for A&A ?)
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Apr-21 10:11:39
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

There's a limit to how much FTTP any provider can do in a given period so they all have to pick their battles.
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Apr-21 10:21:20
Print Post

FTTP is coming to Telford, but not to your specific location
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Apr-21 10:57:58
Print Post

Lots of providers don't use IPv6, I am pretty sure that Zzoomm don't use it, but I will have to check that out.
The time cannot be far off when considerable numbers of websites will only be able to use IPv6.

That's when the ISPs will be in trouble if they cannot provide it to end users. Such as you and I.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User ft247
(regular) Thu 29-Apr-21 13:42:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The time cannot be far off when considerable numbers of websites will only be able to use IPv6.

I'd say the pressure on IPv4 is going to come from the consumer end first.

ISPs, especially new and growing ones without massive legacy IPv4 allocations are already largely adopting CGNAT with 'proper' IPv4 as a premium option. Those ISPs tend to have no problem with IPv6.

I wonder if a nudge from games consoles will be the thing that causes the mass-market to put pressure on legacy ISPs to sort IPv6. There are plenty of console users who have no interest in networking but know that 'NAT type whatever' as reported by their console is a bad thing, which limits the groups they may join online. If 'NAT type something bad' plus native IPv6 is presented by the console as a good thing and provides more gaming opportunities, millions of people will be asking their ISPs for it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Apr-21 14:22:52
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

That requires the game host to be on IPv6 as well though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Thu 29-Apr-21 21:23:03
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Who do you suggest should pay for OR seeing sense? Would it be shareholders, existing users or Government (i.e. us, the taxpayers)? OR are a business not a charity and the economics of business mean that they will try and boost their revenues at minimum expense rather than spending lots of money to service comparatively small numbers of users. If you don't like the way FTTP roll-out is going complain to the people setting the parameters for funding (i.e. the Government) rather than companies trying to do their best to stay in business.

They may be a business, but they had the infrastructure at a cheap price and for years did very little with it, the cables we have are years old, and they are patched up when they break, I can understand why people complain about slow broadband because the copper cables that are used to get it from the cabinet to the house is rubbish. I am shocked I can get the speed I have got, considering I was told over 15 years ago that the cables I have going to my house need replacing, and yet they have still not been touched.

Why trample on other companies feet? I know OR are not the only ones that do this, it seems to be a thing, I remember when we first had local independent radio here, the BBc was not even interested before and then all of a sudden they decided to set up a local station as well.

i understand that businesses have to make money, and they have to get the money back from the outlay, so are we just going to leave the people out in the sticks with naff internet?
We had a company here that used churches to mount masts and use wireless for a broadband service, sadly it did not work out so well as they could not cope with the traffic, I know because I used the service for two years, but at least they had a go.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 11:01:35
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Is that because he has g.fast? Or, am I thinking of the wrong person?! tongue
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Fri 30-Apr-21 13:10:19
Print Post

Openreach have FTTP out to 20% of the UK give or take and have a variety of projects in progress delivering FTTP to people 'in the sticks'.

For someone claiming to not be bothered by having FTTP available you're really pretty bitter about not being prioritised.

They can only do so much at once. Much as we'd all love to blink and miraculously have Openreach and 5 altnets offering gigabit for free that's not feasible.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 30-Apr-21 17:16:48
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
Openreach have FTTP out to 20% of the UK give or take and have a variety of projects in progress delivering FTTP to people 'in the sticks'.

For someone claiming to not be bothered by having FTTP available you're really pretty bitter about not being prioritised.

They can only do so much at once. Much as we'd all love to blink and miraculously have Openreach and 5 altnets offering gigabit for free that's not feasible.

It doesn't bother me, I have FTTC and for what I do it suits me, but I do know people who live in the sticks as there is a lot of countryside around here and a fair few people have awful broadband, I know of one household that gets better internet on dial up and until last year did use dial up, but I set them up using 4G, when 3 decided to sort out the mast up there.

I was shocked that this city was on the list for FTTP and I was certainly chocked when Zzoomm decided to set up a network,

I never said for free, I don't expect things for free, but I do think the prices are getting higher, they realise now that people can not make do without the internet.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ft247
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 18:23:17
Print Post

I never said for free, I don't expect things for free, but I do think the prices are getting higher, they realise now that people can not make do without the internet.

Are prices going up that much? You can get 80/20 Openreach VDSL for around £20 a month, especially if a promotional offer with cashback or a number of months free (or both) is used. I never used VDSL in its early days, can anyone remember what the pricing was like then?
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 18:36:54
Print Post

Yep, a good example is in Cornwall where most properties really far from the cabinet have FTTP.
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 18:42:04
Print Post

Jeez, dial-up until last year? Do Openreach even offer dial-up to providers nowadays?!
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 30-Apr-21 21:09:10
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ft247:
Are prices going up that much? You can get 80/20 Openreach VDSL for around £20 a month, especially if a promotional offer with cashback or a number of months free (or both) is used. I never used VDSL in its early days, can anyone remember what the pricing was like then?

Compared to when I first went onto what we now called broadband, the prices are lower. I paid £39 for 500Kb/s ADSL and that did not include line rental, the only reason I changed from dial up to ADSL at the time was because i had a lodger here and she agreed to pay half. I had a computer running all the time that would connect to the internet via a modem and my and her computer was connected via a co-ax network to it. Prices have come down from that, I think I paid £30 for VDSL in 2015, from plusnet, I have not got the invoices any more.

When I say about prices rising, I mean that they seem to be rising again, with different providers increasing their fees.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 30-Apr-21 21:19:48
Print Post

[re: Grimers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Grimers:
Jeez, dial-up until last year? Do Openreach even offer dial-up to providers nowadays?!

They were using Freeola until they closed dial up, and then they went with something called Web and mail or something like that, but they had little choice and to be honest they only used it for emails to their son, but when I found out that the mobile service was working better there, in that I did not have to stand at the very top of their garden to get signal, I managed to get them to sign up for Three 4G service, it works really well and now they really happy as they can see do video chats with their son and his family. I think they are going to go for Three home service, it will work out cheaper in the long run and be more reliable than connecting their laptop to a mobile phone.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 30-Apr-21 21:22:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's when the ISPs will be in trouble if they cannot provide it to end users. Such as you and I.

I thought it could be converted internally by the ISP or something like that? I have not really looked at IPv6 much , it looks complicated.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Michael_Chare
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Apr-21 22:45:37
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

I wonder if you will have to use a Plusnet router with telephone ports for what I would expect to be their VOIP service or whether they will let customers know their VOIP connection parameters so that they can use their own equipment.

Michael Chare
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Sat 01-May-21 00:18:43
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Think it's extremely unlikely that they would allow customers access to any VoIP service they provide via anything other than the equipment they provide.

Not worth the hassle.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-May-21 10:25:22
Print Post

Isn't that called inflation?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-May-21 11:01:15
Print Post

I wonder if they will let you cancel the phone service completely and just have broadband.

We recently had a call on our landline from the local electricity network saying that there would be a power cut. This was quite useful. They must have got the phone number from some sort of address lookup like the emergency services have.

My Sipgate VOIP service does have a registered address and I would like to ensure that such calls are made to that number. I avoid telling people the actual landline number and never use it for anything other than emergency calls.

If Plusnet were to tell me the connection details I could get my Gigaset N300 to register so that I would still receive such calls.

Michael Chare
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 01-May-21 12:44:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I wonder if they will let you cancel the phone service completely and just have broadband.

We recently had a call on our landline from the local electricity network saying that there would be a power cut. This was quite useful. They must have got the phone number from some sort of address lookup like the emergency services have.

My Sipgate VOIP service does have a registered address and I would like to ensure that such calls are made to that number. I avoid telling people the actual landline number and never use it for anything other than emergency calls.

If Plusnet were to tell me the connection details I could get my Gigaset N300 to register so that I would still receive such calls.

Nah, they got your number from your energy provider (not just the current one either).
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-May-21 13:00:28
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Nah, they got your number from your energy provider (not just the current one either).
I would never have told any energy supplier the proper landline number. I might tell them the VOIP number. All calls are made using VOIP

Michael Chare
Standard User Grimers
(member) Sat 01-May-21 18:22:10
Print Post

That's great. I know of a family who lives in a very rural area. They were using BT FTTC but had a very long line from the cabinet... The highest I remember it connecting was 10 Mb/s, but normally it was a lot lower than this. They are in the plan for FTTP but apparently, it's still a long way off. They now have a 4G (EE) connection, which was installed by a local company, and it works a lot better.

Edited by Grimers (Sat 01-May-21 18:23:37)

Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 01-May-21 21:22:29
Print Post

I would never have told any energy supplier the proper landline number. I might tell them the VOIP number. All calls are made using VOIP

Someone has, as that’s how the DNO’s get hold of peoples phone and email addresses. They have no other way (unless of course you’ve made contact with the DNO before).

Edited by gary333 (Sat 01-May-21 21:25:40)

(knowledge is power) Sun 02-May-21 09:58:44
Print Post

Someone has, as that’s how the DNO’s get hold of peoples phone and email addresses. They have no other way (unless of course you’ve made contact with the DNO before).
The emergency services once knew my (different) address, I thought the DNO might have access to the same information. Maybe I should ask the DNO where they got the information from.

Michael Chare
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sun 02-May-21 11:02:32
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

The emergency services once knew my (different) address, I thought the DNO might have access to the same information. Maybe I should ask the DNO where they got the information from.

Even the emergency services don't have a fully joined up database (and they are certainly not sharing this with DNO's for the purpose of sending out service comms). The emergency services (if by this you mean the 999 control room) are able to see where a number is registered to as they do have access to this information via various suppliers. Usually the details they have for individual people (thus knowing where they live) comes from previous calls to 999 (from anyone who might have named you) and from the various databases held by the police.

The police databases are not linked for example to council records, so even then the police can often have no real idea where a person lives and thus can often have addresses you have lived at many many years ago popping up when speaking with the control room (or reporting an incident directly with them).

We don't even have a fully joined up warning system as yet when it comes to war, so although there are many many databases capturing our data, they are not being used in the main to benefit us
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-May-21 16:20:55
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

Even the emergency services don't have a fully joined up database (and they are certainly not sharing this with DNO's for the purpose of sending out service comms). The emergency services (if by this you mean the 999 control room) are able to see where a number is registered to as they do have access to this information via various suppliers. Usually the details they have for individual people (thus knowing where they live) comes from previous calls to 999 (from anyone who might have named you) and from the various databases held by the police.

The police databases are not linked for example to council records, so even then the police can often have no real idea where a person lives and thus can often have addresses you have lived at many many years ago popping up when speaking with the control room (or reporting an incident directly with them).

We don't even have a fully joined up warning system as yet when it comes to war, so although there are many many databases capturing our data, they are not being used in the main to benefit us
Thanks for the details in your post. I will ring the DNO after the Bank Holiday and see what they have to say. The previous owner of this property died at least a year before we bought it. I had to get the phone reconnected but it may well have the same number.

Michael Chare
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Tue 04-May-21 08:27:43
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Isn't that called inflation?

Well yes, but there still need to be some control, saying that the government have cut loose the controls on energy companies now, so they can charge what they like.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 04-May-21 09:55:47
Print Post

Well yes, but there still need to be some control, saying that the government have cut loose the controls on energy companies now, so they can charge what they like.

Not sure that is factually correct. For example the Ofgem website is still saying:

"The energy price cap makes sure you pay a fairer price for your energy. It limits how much suppliers can charge you per unit of energy. It is based on the costs that Ofgem – Great Britain’s energy regulator – calculates suppliers need to spend to get energy to your home."

and:

"It doesn't matter which supplier you are with - your supplier must apply the cap. You're price protected if you are on a 'Standard variable' energy tariff or a tariff you haven't chosen (a 'default' tariff)."

Edited by GonePostal (Tue 04-May-21 09:56:40)

Standard User broadbandjockey
(committed) Tue 04-May-21 13:48:32
Print Post

I would hope Ofcom will mandate that you will be free to do that regardless of ISP, and regardless of whether or not you're in contract as 2025 approaches, and also free to port out your landline number to a VoIP supplier
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-May-21 21:07:49
Print Post

Well I spoke to the DNO. They told me that they did not have a phone number for my address so I advised them of my VOIP and mobile numbers. When I told them my landline number they said that had this for a different address! They did say that they exchanged this data with electricity suppliers.

So when the PSTN is switched off their will be no need for me to use an ISP router with a phone port. I have no use for the landline phone number. As the number is not one that I have told others about there is no need to port it to a VOIP provider which would tell me he connections details for use in my own equipment.

Michael Chare
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 04-May-21 21:43:49
Print Post

I wonder if you will have to use a Plusnet router with telephone ports for what I would expect to be their VOIP service or whether they will let customers know their VOIP connection parameters so that they can use their own equipment.

Good point.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to