User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 10:08:17
Print Post

Good Bye Plusnet

[link to this post]

Called them this morning to ask for a price for an out-of-contact customer to go back to a 12 month agreement. I need to talk options through with my father in law and needed the information. I was not prepared to give his number as that would then cause data protection issues.

They outright REFUSED to give a price for providing service and demanded his details - which are NOT relevant, except that he is currently an out-of-contract PlusNet customer.

They claim they can only give a price if they know the phone number - utter rubbish.

Time to find a more customer friendly provider.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Apr-21 10:24:34
Print Post

Re: Good Bye Plusnet

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Back in the old days Plusnet had different prices for different exchanges - I don't know whether that is still the case.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with HOSTXNOW
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 10:31:34
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
Back in the old days Plusnet had different prices for different exchanges - I don't know whether that is still the case.

Does not look like it on their website, and I was quite willing to give the exchange name, just not the full number. I could easily have claimed to be Mr XXX but will not do that.

All the call handler needed to do was look at her price list and say: 12 month BB, including anytime calls and line rental - £nn.nn/month but no, she was going to be awkward, I could tell from the start.

M H C

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Apr-21 10:57:18
Print Post

I suspect they might have different deals they can offer to different customers and therefore may not be the same price for every customer. This is a guess but would explain why they would need to know exactly which customer they were quoting for. The alternative is just to take whatever the current out of contract price is.
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 11:02:49
Print Post

Blimey, we've not been with Plusnet, but that sounds a bit unusual for them. Hope you find a better provider!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 11:03:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I was not after a "deal" that would come later - just basic prices. They will all start at one price and then drop don for each customer as they see appropriate. It was just the top level options I needed.

Their out of contract appears to be twice the in contract price. And they claim to contact people before contacts end - nothing I have seen so far suggest that either.

M H C

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 30-Apr-21 13:35:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
And they claim to contact people before contacts end

I certainly received an email around 4/5 weeks before the end date of my contract and the same if not a little bit sooner before the end of my LRS (line rental saver) period.

In order to discuss discounts you need to speak with the retentions team by choosing the option "I'm thinking about leaving" in the phone menu.

I've found that ringing back later and speaking with a different person can produce a slightly improved discount. I have tried it myself and got a slightly better offer than I did on the first call.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't expect anybody to enter into negotiations with me not knowing who I am, bit like a game of poker where one player has to bid with all his cards face up on the table smile.

p.s. Point taken about coming up against an agent who is awkward from the outset. Something I've only ever come up against once in all the years I've been with PlusNet but I just rang back and got someone who was different again.

plusnet FTTC 55/10
Using a Fritz!Box 7530

Live BQM

Edited by longedge (Fri 30-Apr-21 13:48:50)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 13:54:24
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I was NOT entering negotiations - I just wanted the BASE price, no extra discount &c, just the price.

BT are wiillng to give a price, as are Sky and others - so why not PussNet?

If you go to buy a new TV, Car, case of wine - you can get a price without giving any details, so why not their BB service?

M H C

Standard User danielhyde
(member) Fri 30-Apr-21 14:03:38
Print Post

I was NOT entering negotiations - I just wanted the BASE price, no extra discount &c, just the price.

BT are wiillng to give a price, as are Sky and others - so why not PussNet?

If you go to buy a new TV, Car, case of wine - you can get a price without giving any details, so why not their BB service?

There is still two types of exchange and the wholesale cost is lower on one them.
Their system will probably only give a price if you enter the phone number as the price will probably be based on which exchange you are connected to.
My guess is their system only accepts phone numbers or full addresses and you cannot manually tell it which exchange.

Thanks
Dan
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 14:23:18
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

They had the exchange name - that is all they need.

Have just called again and got the same ... need the number, "because we need to access the account" so I said if i give you the number will you be able to give me a price? "NO because you are not the account holder".

Asked for complaints team - not able to transfer me to a dedicated team.

M H C

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 30-Apr-21 14:33:28
Print Post

I just wanted the BASE price, no extra discount &c, just the price

As published you mean wink

plusnet FTTC 55/10
Using a Fritz!Box 7530

Live BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Apr-21 14:58:23
Print Post

Does look like all the info needed is at the bottom of the page where they list their out of contract prices for all of those products under "Here's the legal bit".
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 15:26:34
Print Post

And when you use that it wants address - and then says there is already an account. A non-existent address throws up an error and I will not use someone else's address.

If I force through a non-existent address it will treat it as a new customer - which it is not.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 15:29:51
Print Post

And why should I need to spend time searching through every page on the website when a 2 minute call could give the answer? And those are, as you say, out of contract, which is not what I need.

A simple - "A twelve month contract for unlimited, including anytime calls to landline and mobile with line rental will be £nn.nn/month" But no, they want to be awkward.

M H C

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Apr-21 15:31:22
Print Post

It will be in the Price List, in "Legal" at the bottom of web pages.

Anyway, if they are out of their minimum term contract as you say, they are probably on the current standard price. Or the one that was in force when that contract ended, plus annual percentage rises.

What you really need to do is get you added as the contact.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 30-Apr-21 15:33:45)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Apr-21 16:30:05
Print Post

You asked what it would be if you didn't have any deal - that is the out of contract price.

Anything else is taking a deal and PlusNet do different deals for different people - and therefore need to know who they are dealing with to provide what the deal is.

If what you are looking for is the standard price then it is on that web page and you don't need to speak to PlusNet. If you want to know what the price would be if a new contract was entered in to then that is a "deal" and they would need to know who they are doing the deal for to decide what price they are going to offer. Like many ISPs they don't seem to have a standard price for existing customers who want to recontract to a new deal.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 16:57:40
Print Post

No, a deal is a negotiated price different from their standard in-contract price.

And NO the standard price is NOT there - you find a combined price for 12 month, anytime calls, BB and line rental as a single package.

Every other ISP I have spoken with today is quite willing to give a price without any number/address details. And Plusnet will be losing another customer.

And the refusal to put me through to a complaints team - makes it even worse.

M H C

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 30-Apr-21 17:24:24
Print Post

Deleted - seems pointless as you've made your mind up smile

plusnet FTTC 55/10
Using a Fritz!Box 7530

Live BQM

Edited by longedge (Fri 30-Apr-21 17:27:51)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 17:32:30
Print Post

Exactly - I wanted their standard in-contract price. No "special deal - just for you", no negotiations, just the base price.

When one of the sales team working for my peer spoke to a customer for communications service (data and voice) they would have a standard (in contract) price which combined the elements the customer wanted - and then they would negotiate a deal. Often there would be "blind enquiries" where the standard price was fully acceptable at first enquiry, often through an intermediary without knowing the end customer, then further downstream negotiations would take place.

M H C

Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Apr-21 17:46:11
Print Post

Any number of sites Minusnet included would give a price with no need for a phone call.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Apr-21 18:00:03
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

That links to a (screwed up?) BQM page for a Zen connection. wink

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User 69bertie
(member) Fri 30-Apr-21 19:56:55
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielhyde:
There is still two types of exchange and the wholesale cost is lower on one them.
Their system will probably only give a price if you enter the phone number as the price will probably be based on which exchange you are connected to.

Very true. I was on a a higher priced exchange (Market 1, which if I recall correctly, became Market A) and as such, always paid more than someone on a Market B exchange.

When they advertise a low price it is usually based on someone being on a Market B exchange - read the small print. I use to pay something like £6 a month more than that advertised low price. Unfortunately it isn't just PN, Any ISP that uses the Openreach network tends to have this dual pricing.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-May-21 20:13:20
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

Like you my exchange wasn't as PN call it "a low cost exchange", ADSL only and although I had been with them for years at that point in time the renewing deal was a joke compared to previous years.

PN supply BB and Phone for John Lewis so I migrated to JL as it was a better deal and still is for me for the time being.

Probably go over to using 4G from EE or O2 at some point.

Edit: should say I've never had any serious issues with the connection from the PN network

ADSL2+ Broadband

Edited by Apprentice (Sun 02-May-21 20:16:24)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-May-21 12:53:47
Print Post

They don't do a "standard in-contract" price. You have deals that are offered at the start of a contract that you can take. You have the standard price when those deals have ended (which the link was provided earlier). Other than that there is no "standard in-contract" price - it is a negotiated price if you agree to a minimum term.

All the other suppliers will be providing their pricing based on a new customer. For existing customers there are few suppliers that publish any pricing other than what the standard price would be when their minimum term ends.

If anyone knows of a supplier that publishes deals for publicly for people who have reached their minimum term but are willing to take out a new minimum term then it would be interesting to see - most would require you to contact their retentions to discuss what they would offer.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to