User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bemused_Mike
(member) Fri 19-Jul-13 20:27:06
Print Post

Re: Post Office switching BB to Talk Talk

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You won't know for definate until you get a formal contractual letter from them detailing how this switch will affect your service, if at all.

This is the conclusion I have reached.

However I get the feeling that people like me who have phone and bb with the Post Office will be put on to full LLU. The broadband will for sure because how else would we get the speed increase we have been promised?

Can I just ask, if I am dumped on full LLU how would I go about migrating away from it later down the line? Would I have to cease the line, then get BT to reconnect me and choose my broadband from whichever provider is to my liking?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 19-Jul-13 21:08:28
Print Post

[re: Bemused_Mike] [link to this post]

If you get another provider to take over service, they have to get BT to "retun to donor" or change to alternative LLU operator kit. You don't have to cease and start again yourself.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Jul-13 21:46:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bemused_Mike:
However I get the feeling that people like me who have phone and bb with the Post Office will be put on to full LLU. The broadband will for sure because how else would we get the speed increase we have been promised?

If an exchange is 21CN WBC enabled (up to 24Mbps ADSL2+) then a switch to full LLU or partial LLU would not result in any significant difference in sync speed. If PO BB is up to 8Mbps ADSL Max then a switch to full or partial LLU would result in a downstream sync speed increase if one is not a long way from the exchange with a high loop loss (attenuation.)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Fri 19-Jul-13 22:45:23
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
If PO BB is up to 8Mbps ADSL Max then a switch to full or partial LLU would result in a downstream sync speed increase if one is not a long way from the exchange with a high loop loss (attenuation.)

So my download speeds might get a bit quicker?
(member) Fri 19-Jul-13 22:47:04
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
If you get another provider to take over service, they have to get BT to "retun to donor" or change to alternative LLU operator kit.

Are there charges to do either of these things?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 19-Jul-13 23:28:20
Print Post

Are there charges to do either of these things?
Most appear to treat it as a migration, but some might charge. It does require physical intervention, unlike a proper "migration".

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 19-Jul-13 23:30:01
Print Post

So my download speeds might get a bit quicker?
In general yes, if you're on "up to 8M" and close to the exchange it'll go faster than 8M. If you're further away you might gain 300-500k downstream.

If you're on ye olde 448k upstream that'll go up to at least 600k in most cases, rising towards 1000 closer to the exchange.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
(member) Sat 20-Jul-13 19:21:33
Print Post

In general yes, if you're on "up to 8M" and close to the exchange it'll go faster than 8M. If you're further away you might gain 300-500k downstream.

Well, I suppose every little helps. smile

If you're on ye olde 448k upstream that'll go up to at least 600k in most cases, rising towards 1000 closer to the exchange.

Ye olde? Isn't 448k the standard for upstream on an up to 8mbps service?

Anyway, a small bump in upstream ain't bad either. wink

These small benefits would be welcome, but not at the expense of my BT line. That is if the PO intend migrating me over to LLU. It's rather frustrating not knowing their plans for my service yet. I do hope when the time comes I am given plenty of notice so I can weigh up my options. I'll be rather miffed if they migrate my service first and then tell me afterward. Time will tell I suppose.
(member) Sat 20-Jul-13 19:29:15
Print Post

Most appear to treat it as a migration, but some might charge.

I assume they tell you somewhere in the small print?

It does require physical intervention, unlike a proper "migration".

Sounds like ripe fare for a cheeky extra charge.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Jul-13 20:08:52
Print Post

Isn't 448k the standard for upstream on an up to 8mbps service?
On;y on BT's ADSL Max. Proper ADSL(1) doesn't have such a low limit; nor does 8 Meg capped ADSL2+.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to