User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Jan-15 10:46:10
Print Post

Re: Fair usage

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Thanks for the links. When I went looking, I had an error 503 from memory, on pobroadband.co.uk page, but especially interested to see the August 2014 document since the welcome pack and other things I'd seen had all mentioned 2013 (leading me to call them back, twice, to be sure that there would be no problem with my level of usage).

No, this is not a move from PN (I have a line on Primus at 5.99 line rental a month, so no wish to change provider), but an extra line. Advantage with PO was free install, whereas PN charge 50 quid. It's partly to give me a connection with no fixed IP, partly to have a second connection to be able to increase my traffic past 600 GB a month, and partly because Three is scrapping the One Plan. Also, despite website in December showing fee of 144.00 for 12 months, I asked the PO to confirm the 120.00 annual line rental would apply, and they are giving 6 months without charging the 8.00/month fee for the broadband portion of the fees.

That One Plan change is significant for me (unlimited data, with tethering allowed, plus 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, 5000 mins for 3-to-3 calls) and had been my 'reserve' (OK, using maybe 40-60 GB a month from tethering - but a useful alternative to use for work, if my PN connection was ever down), but it's also the fact they will want to bump up the cost from 15 to maybe 28 quid a month and cut tethering to just 4 GB, so I will be showing how I feel about this change by changing network - for the same money "The People's Operator" will give me unlimited minutes and texts and {OK, just} 3 GB of data, but if enough users leave then Three will get the message. Also, as a nice 'plus' the initial offer from TPO is to charge 3.99/month for 3 months, not the full 15 quid.

It may not matter to them if they find the data load drops significantly and their new customers wanting 4G will benefit, but their budget offerings seem to have been an experiment for 12-18 months. I still have another phone in a contract at lower cost, with unlimited data (but just 100 mins voice), so for the next year or so, I will still have unlimited data while mobile, just not with the ability to tether... so I will take half my spend away straight away and see what options there are when the other contract nears its end... I might buy a SIM free 4G mobile, and simply let the contract roll on, with unlimited data at a pretty low cost compared with the silly money EE want.

Sorry, just some background, and understand if it's of limited interest to anyone, especially if you're stuck with a Market 1 exchange and limited options / choice available.

Lucky you got a cashback cheque - I will see what PN offers in terms of rewarding 11 (coming on 12) years as a customer, with reduction in monthly fee or whatever... Having seen at start of 2013, new customers getting savings of 150 (90 cashback, and 6 months at half price), and someone getting their FTTC service at 15/month instead of 20/month, so when I eventually get FTTC I will see what I can negotiate with PN (if anything).

It may be on a 'line 3' connection (if only to see whether I can get connected to the fibre cabinet over the back wall, since the speed estimate is double for the properties I can see across the road, and 'just' 33.5 Mbps this side because of a load of aluminium cabling, breaks, and several blocks of flats etc between me and the cabinet... I may ask for the up to 38 Mbps service anyway (which is 15/month full price) and see if I can get that reduced. If it ended up on the fibre cabinet in view from rear bedroom window, I'd be able to upgrade later to higher speed...

I work from home, use VoIP, stream video from security CCTV and so on, so having multiple connections not so much of a luxury, and I moved from N Wales to Merseyside to get higher speed (but ironically, the house where I lived had speed estimate near 75 Mbps a year before FTTC arrived here!)

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...

Edited by ultra (Wed 07-Jan-15 10:49:13)

Standard User TaintedShirt
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 01:13:02
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Hi guys,
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I was wondering how the FUP was treating you now? Are you guys having issues if you regularly exceed the 100GB?

Thanks for any help.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Wed 09-Sep-15 22:45:04
Print Post

[re: TaintedShirt] [link to this post]

Left in May when I moved but up until then was using 150-200GB a month without any issues.

Plus Net - 40/20

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 11-Sep-15 12:14:19
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply brandscill. smile
Standard User Spuriousfish
(learned) Sat 12-Sep-15 13:19:30
Print Post

I recently left to PO because they reduce the download speeds at peak times i.e evening and weekends. I didn't exceed the 100G limit nor did I violate their fare usage policy. They admitted that the slow down was part of their normal operation even though there is nothing in writing that states this. I believe this was a result of the PO switching to TalkTalk. A cheap deal but not a full service in my opinion.
(newbie) Sat 12-Sep-15 19:18:56
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

Oh.

They do what??

Ok. So that's a no go. Big Thanks Spuriousfish for the heads up.
Standard User Spuriousfish
(learned) Sun 13-Sep-15 09:00:25
Print Post

Yup..... I was getting about 6.5Mbps during the day but evenings and some of the weekend it would drop to 2Mbps and below.

I had extensive talks with Customer Service and their 'Slow Broadband Team' and eventually got someone who was honest enough to admit that, that's what it was - put up with it or go somewhere else with no penalty if still within contract period.
(newbie) Sun 13-Sep-15 13:44:04
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

Oh man. Well you just saved me no end of hassle. Thank you very muchly.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to