User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Wed 27-Aug-14 21:56:35
Print Post

Fair usage

[link to this post]

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/sites/default/files/03.0...

No mention of 100Gb usage for the broadband premium smile, I have been over for the last few months.

Ian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Aug-14 09:31:50
Print Post

Re: Fair usage

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Seems it has been reworded to be more vague now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Aug-14 21:51:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

To catch people out and then try and sting them for additional usage?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Thu 28-Aug-14 22:43:56
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

They can't sting you for additional usage if they haven't set it out in the policy.

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Thu 28-Aug-14 22:44:17
Print Post

Mmm I noticed this the other day, was quite pleased when signing up.

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Aug-14 23:17:22
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Tesco got away with it for 3 months before they were forced to put 100GB in their policy.
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Aug-14 23:25:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by brandscill:
Mmm I noticed this the other day, was quite pleased when signing up.

Essential 10GB cap - the rest no is does not say but it does say they have a FUP and they monitor network traffic and if you do anything illegal they can and will cut you off and pass all info to the Police/Government Agencies.

SO no , i'd rather not sign up to the GCHQ's network thank you very much!

In regards to the FUP this was written 5 days AFTER the pdf you have linked to was published.

Still says 100GB so I guess you being over is lucky but you could be e-mailed and warned at any time.

You get what you pay for.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 28-Aug-14 23:28:11)

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Fri 29-Aug-14 06:33:49
Print Post

I'm not sure which PDF you refer to as I didn't post one but the monitoring of the network for illegal activity and reporting to the appropriate authorities is no different to what most providers would do.

Looking at Virgin they too will report you should they find you transferring illegal content on their network.

I wouldn't say Post Office is an ideal choice for post people and should I live elsewhere I wouldn't pick them but with my speeds and location I have little choice in provider and little chance of going over 100GB

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Aug-14 10:22:16
Print Post

If ANY provider becomes aware you are carrying out criminally illegal activities on their network they will act.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Fri 29-Aug-14 11:07:02
Print Post

Thought as much. So post office is no more GCHQ than anyone else.

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Aug-14 12:51:33
Print Post

As far as I am aware that is correct,

T&C seem to refer to the usual you abuse the service we throttle type stuff and a reminder that they will act on their legal obligations.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Fri 29-Aug-14 13:48:09
Print Post

Seems reasonable then smile

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Aug-14 14:48:53
Print Post

Sorry that was for the OP.

Some ISP's like BT and Sky don't seem to care. I know from knowing people who do a lot of dodgy things day in day out and they dont hide themselves.
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Fri 29-Aug-14 16:46:44
Print Post

Still says 100GB so I guess you being over is lucky but you could be e-mailed and warned at any time.

I should also have posted the old FUP available at this address http://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/fairusep...

Hence my happiness at its removal smile as I myself can keep within the 100Gb but my two adult sons returned home for the summer and we are using ~120GB/month.

Absolutely....Market 1 (A) exchange .....no LLU my average cost/month including minimal calls ~ £28.

Ian
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Aug-14 17:04:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian007jen:

I should also have posted the old FUP available at this address http://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/fairusep...

Hence my happiness at its removal smile as I myself can keep within the 100Gb but my two adult sons returned home for the summer and we are using ~120GB/month.

Absolutely....Market 1 (A) exchange .....no LLU my average cost/month including minimal calls ~ £28.

Ian

So not the cheapest then.. And I guess that reporter with inside info is totally wrong then and should be fired. You will know if it ever hits you.
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Fri 29-Aug-14 22:12:50
Print Post

not the cheapest

?? show me the money??

I can't find anything cheaper (including line rental >100GB usage)

Ian
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Aug-14 23:01:01
Print Post

Actually I am confused now..

Plusnet are offering my parents next door neighbour £18.45 a month for 12 months based on

Unlimited broadband£9.99
Promotional discount (for 12 months) - £7.49
Plusnet Protect powered by McAfeeIncluded
Line rental£15.95
WeekendsIncluded
Voicemail (1571)Included

Yet my dad pays £19.49 for his BB along and then he also pays BT £15.95

They are also on a market 1 - well it's got BT and TT and I am told that's still market 1.

I am going to ask him to call them - sounds like he needs to!
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 30-Aug-14 07:40:33
Print Post

Plusnet charge top whack (£17.49) to people who are connected to exchanges where there is no LLU provider. I asked why when looking to sign up and was told it was because there was no competition in the exchange. Disappointing but guess that's life.

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Aug-14 08:11:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by brandscill:
Plusnet charge top whack (£17.49) to people who are connected to exchanges where there is no LLU provider. I asked why when looking to sign up and was told it was because there was no competition in the exchange. Disappointing but guess that's life.

Ah, I never knew that.

They have been charging my dad top whack for years! £19,49 for ADSL the same speed as your signature,. Even with TT LLU in there.
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Sat 30-Aug-14 08:25:14
Print Post

Even with TT LLU in there

I am going to ask him to call them - sounds like he needs to!

Just make sure that he mentions TT LLU or MAC code.....they will offer the lower price on market 1 exchanges if they have LLU.

Ian
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 30-Aug-14 08:39:14
Print Post

Yep, that'll do it, especially the talk talk part.

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Aug-14 10:42:18
Print Post

Thanks Ian,

This is something I didn't know of - I guess in that case I take back what I said. I thought it was market 1 or 2 if there were less than 3 isp's at the exchange.It must have changed.

I wish I had know 2 years ago - never mind he's not bothered by what he's paid up until now and he might not want to bother swapping
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 30-Aug-14 10:44:46
Print Post

If it works and the customer service is good then no point rocking the boat.

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sat 30-Aug-14 11:02:05
Print Post

They will not. TT LLU here, but still Market 1.

Zen Business Talk - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Sun 31-Aug-14 10:08:41
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

They will not. TT LLU here, but still Market 1.

this exchange

Market 1

TT LLU

I just signed up and connected a client for plusnet business unlimited FTTC at discounted (Market 2/3) prices

Ian
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Aug-14 10:24:22
Print Post

But you also Have FTTC and FTTP

this is their exchange

They have LLU as you can see - and if I do an order for next door it's £16.53 a month CHEAPER than my dad currently pays. Yes I know he's never called them, that's his fault but he doesn't really care for cost. I have to keep his feet on the ground there.

But the fact this occurs does back up what you say.

However as I said before they have FTTC coming soon for which I am campaigning again. so it will be every ISP for itself.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sun 31-Aug-14 10:24:54)

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sun 31-Aug-14 11:13:27
Print Post

Fancy campaigning or my exchange?

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Aug-14 19:19:15
Print Post

To be honest not really. It's been a ballache in the years ive been arguing with BT over viability.

Im now just letting people know it's coming
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Jan-15 16:37:44
Print Post

I'm guessing you're still having no problems exceeding 100 GB. I've had a few chats with them recently to confirm they have scrapped their usage limits on FUP (help page no longer exists) but their literature still mentions it (mind you, welcome pack was dated as 2013)...

Very strange situation where they verbally suggested I'd be paying 144.00 for the year line rental saver (not the 120.00 which applies for contracts arranged prior to 05/01/2015) Next day when I'd gone over my notes concerning the verbal agreement the 144.00 hit me like a brick and I rang them, whereupon I was told that there'd be a reduction to 120.00.

So long story short seems like the first year will be 120.00 for line rental, free line install (normally 60.00) and 6 months paying no broadband fee, then 8 quid a month. Let's see whether it will cope with 300-350 GB a month downloading (from Now TV before anyone thinks peer-to-peer or whatever)...

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Fri 02-Jan-15 18:44:47
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Two fup documents here...http://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/pdf/broadband-fair-u.......Latest Aug 2014

and here....http://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/pdf/broadband-fair-u.......

I have paid my dues (or actually Plusnet have with a casback cheque) and left, much better streaming throughput and single thread download speed; but I am on a small market1 exchange; your exchange may be different especially if you have Talk-Talk LLU available.

Are you moving from plusnet to the PO??

Ian
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Jan-15 10:46:10
Print Post

Thanks for the links. When I went looking, I had an error 503 from memory, on pobroadband.co.uk page, but especially interested to see the August 2014 document since the welcome pack and other things I'd seen had all mentioned 2013 (leading me to call them back, twice, to be sure that there would be no problem with my level of usage).

No, this is not a move from PN (I have a line on Primus at 5.99 line rental a month, so no wish to change provider), but an extra line. Advantage with PO was free install, whereas PN charge 50 quid. It's partly to give me a connection with no fixed IP, partly to have a second connection to be able to increase my traffic past 600 GB a month, and partly because Three is scrapping the One Plan. Also, despite website in December showing fee of 144.00 for 12 months, I asked the PO to confirm the 120.00 annual line rental would apply, and they are giving 6 months without charging the 8.00/month fee for the broadband portion of the fees.

That One Plan change is significant for me (unlimited data, with tethering allowed, plus 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, 5000 mins for 3-to-3 calls) and had been my 'reserve' (OK, using maybe 40-60 GB a month from tethering - but a useful alternative to use for work, if my PN connection was ever down), but it's also the fact they will want to bump up the cost from 15 to maybe 28 quid a month and cut tethering to just 4 GB, so I will be showing how I feel about this change by changing network - for the same money "The People's Operator" will give me unlimited minutes and texts and {OK, just} 3 GB of data, but if enough users leave then Three will get the message. Also, as a nice 'plus' the initial offer from TPO is to charge 3.99/month for 3 months, not the full 15 quid.

It may not matter to them if they find the data load drops significantly and their new customers wanting 4G will benefit, but their budget offerings seem to have been an experiment for 12-18 months. I still have another phone in a contract at lower cost, with unlimited data (but just 100 mins voice), so for the next year or so, I will still have unlimited data while mobile, just not with the ability to tether... so I will take half my spend away straight away and see what options there are when the other contract nears its end... I might buy a SIM free 4G mobile, and simply let the contract roll on, with unlimited data at a pretty low cost compared with the silly money EE want.

Sorry, just some background, and understand if it's of limited interest to anyone, especially if you're stuck with a Market 1 exchange and limited options / choice available.

Lucky you got a cashback cheque - I will see what PN offers in terms of rewarding 11 (coming on 12) years as a customer, with reduction in monthly fee or whatever... Having seen at start of 2013, new customers getting savings of 150 (90 cashback, and 6 months at half price), and someone getting their FTTC service at 15/month instead of 20/month, so when I eventually get FTTC I will see what I can negotiate with PN (if anything).

It may be on a 'line 3' connection (if only to see whether I can get connected to the fibre cabinet over the back wall, since the speed estimate is double for the properties I can see across the road, and 'just' 33.5 Mbps this side because of a load of aluminium cabling, breaks, and several blocks of flats etc between me and the cabinet... I may ask for the up to 38 Mbps service anyway (which is 15/month full price) and see if I can get that reduced. If it ended up on the fibre cabinet in view from rear bedroom window, I'd be able to upgrade later to higher speed...

I work from home, use VoIP, stream video from security CCTV and so on, so having multiple connections not so much of a luxury, and I moved from N Wales to Merseyside to get higher speed (but ironically, the house where I lived had speed estimate near 75 Mbps a year before FTTC arrived here!)

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...

Edited by ultra (Wed 07-Jan-15 10:49:13)

Standard User TaintedShirt
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 01:13:02
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Hi guys,
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I was wondering how the FUP was treating you now? Are you guys having issues if you regularly exceed the 100GB?

Thanks for any help.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Wed 09-Sep-15 22:45:04
Print Post

[re: TaintedShirt] [link to this post]

Left in May when I moved but up until then was using 150-200GB a month without any issues.

Plus Net - 40/20
(newbie) Fri 11-Sep-15 12:14:19
Print Post

Thanks for the reply brandscill. smile
Standard User Spuriousfish
(learned) Sat 12-Sep-15 13:19:30
Print Post

I recently left to PO because they reduce the download speeds at peak times i.e evening and weekends. I didn't exceed the 100G limit nor did I violate their fare usage policy. They admitted that the slow down was part of their normal operation even though there is nothing in writing that states this. I believe this was a result of the PO switching to TalkTalk. A cheap deal but not a full service in my opinion.
(newbie) Sat 12-Sep-15 19:18:56
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

Oh.

They do what??

Ok. So that's a no go. Big Thanks Spuriousfish for the heads up.
Standard User Spuriousfish
(learned) Sun 13-Sep-15 09:00:25
Print Post

Yup..... I was getting about 6.5Mbps during the day but evenings and some of the weekend it would drop to 2Mbps and below.

I had extensive talks with Customer Service and their 'Slow Broadband Team' and eventually got someone who was honest enough to admit that, that's what it was - put up with it or go somewhere else with no penalty if still within contract period.
(newbie) Sun 13-Sep-15 13:44:04
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

Oh man. Well you just saved me no end of hassle. Thank you very muchly.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to