User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ajseeds
(newbie) Tue 12-May-20 11:32:15
Print Post

Now Post Office is cutting Upload Rates

[link to this post]

Followers of Post Office will know its dismal reputation, but they have added a new issue on ADSL2+ line, reduced upload speeds, to the cut in download speeds introduced some months back. I have a number of Post Office lines for reasons that have more to do with billing than performance. When Post Office moved from reselling BT to using the Talk Talk network the migration disaster has been well documented. However, things then settled down and on 21CN exchanges with Talk Talk presence there was even some increase in rates with the move from ADSL to ADSL2+. Perhaps conscious of their reputation Post Office now market a product called "Unlimited Broadband" with assurances of no usage caps. I have noted two changes on several lines on different exchanges since 2018. First, the noise margins have been increased to bring the downlink Sync speed to under 8 Mb/s (I have lines which have margins over 14 dB now). Throughput runs at 6-7 Mb/s most of the time. Second, and more recently, although the uplink Sync is the usual 1.024 Mb/s, the uplink throughput will not go above 0.5 Mb/s, used to be 0.8 Mb/s.

The Post Office web-site has now deleted all references to uplink speeds, taking full advantage of Ofcom's decision not to regulate these.

The Post Office technical people deny it's happening, but measurements don't lie.
Standard User Acegio
(member) Sat 16-May-20 21:11:51
Print Post

Re: Now Post Office is cutting Upload Rates

[re: ajseeds] [link to this post]

Not sure if all subscribers are getting a reduction, this is mine:-

Test result

test 2
ISP Representative uno
(isp) Sat 16-May-20 21:44:48
Print Post

[re: ajseeds] [link to this post]

Posting your full stats firstly would help as speedtests don't tell enough. TTB lines on ADSL2+ are capped to 1.024Mb upload. They don't offer higher than this as seen with BT Wholesale unless you're opting for an Annex M service.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest

Edited by uno (Sat 16-May-20 22:09:13)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ianhMk2
(newbie) Sun 17-May-20 14:26:52
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Not sure if this is the correct thread, I am with po broadband.
Recently I too have noticed poor speeds on download.
I see that my connection is g.dmt - giving a 7616000 download speed.
snr is 16db and loop atten is 23db.
With plusnet I was getting 17mbps (adsl2 I aasume).
POBroadband never was as good as plusnet, but this sucks.
The modem is the same -vigor 2820.
The line appears to be locked to g.dmt, if I try to force ADSL2 is simply does not connect.
I have noticed what I assume are ppp hangs, quite frequently.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-May-20 15:59:35
Print Post

[re: ianhMk2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ianhMk2:
I see that my connection is g.dmt - giving a 7616000 download speed.
snr is 16db and loop atten is 23db.

16dB SNR (margin) on the downstream or on the upstream?

Edited by 4M2 (Sun 17-May-20 16:39:22)

Standard User ianhMk2
(newbie) Mon 18-May-20 11:02:45
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks - the figure is from the online status page of my draytek 2820 router, I assume that it is the rrouters received SNR. I guess if it knew the snr at the exchange then it would give both exchange and router figures. The router manual does not give any clarification on the value.

FWIW I tried the router supplied when I switched, and it also only does vanilla adsl. I dont keep proper records of link speed, but I have a speedtest report from march of 12mbps download, so that must have still been some variety of adsl2. PO broadband never wqas as fast as plusnet, despite nothing changing at my end when I switched (aside from username/password). I think it started off as 14mbit as opposed to 17 for plusnet (and bt before it, IIRC)

I have noticed regular drop outs in service, with the adsl connection remaining up. I see that there is reported flakiness in a higher transport layer with this supplier,
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-May-20 11:43:22
Print Post

For more detailed stats you could try this, however its for Draytech Vigor 2600 / 2800 routers, it may work?
telnet into the CLI
telnet://192.168.1.1
The required command is:
> show adsl
Default username "admin", the password is left blank.

I guess a downstream 16dB SNR margin on ADSL2+ with an attenuation of 23dB may only give you a sync speed of ~7.6Mbps....in which case you now perhaps have issues with the line....

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 18-May-20 12:08:55)

Standard User ianhMk2
(newbie) Mon 18-May-20 12:51:24
Print Post

Thanks, here's the diagnostic using that command:
> show adsl --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- Running Mode : G.DMT State : SHOWTIME

DS Actual Rate : 7616000 bps US Actual Rate : 896000 bps

DS Attainable Rate : 8736000 bps US Attainable Rate : 1148000 bps

DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave

DS Interleave Depth : 64 US Interleave Depth : 4

NE Current Attenuation : 23 dB Cur SNR Margin : 16 dB

DS actual PSD : 19. 9 dB US actual PSD : 11. 4 dB

ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A

-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------

Far Current Attenuation : 10 dB Far SNR Margin : 13 dB

CO ITU Version[0] : 00004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 0000544e

DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

>

does this indicate a line problem?
Cheers
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-May-20 14:12:01
Print Post

Looks like you are doing OK with the G.DMT (ADSL1) modulation with an uncapped upstream sync speed? It's a mystery that you were previously getting ~14Mbps download throughput and then ~12Mbps download throughput with the Post Office which perhaps suggests you were initially connected using ADSL2+ modulation with a high downstream SNR margin maybe caused by a line issue.

As you say with plusnet and BT you were getting ~17Mbps download throughput on a BTw connection but presumably now on TTB LLU (?) things are not looking so good.

Just one other thought, perhaps the router is wrongly reporting G.DMT modulation and/or the 16dB downstream SNR margin.
Standard User ianhMk2
(newbie) Mon 18-May-20 14:27:10
Print Post

I tried the po broadband supplied router, and got g.dmt and (from memory) a slightly lower lownlink speed - so I suspect the draytek is being honest.

Not being into adsl technology some of the acronyms are new to me.

I did check the speeds after moving from plusnet to po, and put the initial loss of speed below the previous 17mbps link down to line retraining. but it has gotten far worse.

I wonder if the noise is increasing/has increased due to the uptake of vdsl?, perhaps a common mode choke would help?. There is no crackling on the plain old telephone line receiver- so if there is noise it is up in the adsl band rather than a dodgy connection.
Cheers
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to