User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-May-20 15:57:03
Print Post

Re: Now Post Office is cutting Upload Rates

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Do you think that ianhMk2's G.DMT downstream interleaved sync speed of 7616000bps with an attenuation of 23dB and a possible sync time (?) SNR margin of 15dB looks right? Its ages since I've used ADSL MAX (Plusnet Pro uncapped upstream sync speed) but I never had a downstream sync time SNR margin of more than 9dB although I am on a longer line with a G.DMT attenuation of 32dB and always got full sync speeds.

Is the TTB kit in the exchange using the high SNR margin to limit his G.DMT downstream sync speed and/or provide maximum stability. Or is the high router reported SNR margin due to other reasons?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-May-20 16:43:06
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Plenty of spare margin as hitting the max speed of ADSL that it appears they are limited to.

Answer migrate away from Post Office or if they like Post Office based on the VDSL2 estimates posted that would give speeds above ASDL2+ and a lot faster than ADSL.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-May-20 17:30:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If migrating away from what appears to be an ADSL TTB MPF connection to, for example, a BT or plusnet FTTC and line rental deal, would the move involve a connection to a BTw ADSL2+ service first? If it does that would ensure that the poster's line is good, at least on the D-Side, if he again got a 17Mbps download throughput speed, good stats and a stable connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-May-20 17:53:02
Print Post

No

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ianhMk2
(newbie) Tue 19-May-20 18:22:53
Print Post

Thanks for all your input guys,
Conclusion - my problem is that for no apparent reason (in terms of snr or attenuation) po broadband have downgraded my line to vanilla adsl, when in the past it ran happily at 17mps speeds.

It is the same if I use the router that they supplied, or my vigor 2820.

As I didnt bother logging snr or attenuation when it worked properly I cant say for sure that the line has not changed,

However those in the know appear to agree that it should still be capable of supporting adsl2+ modulation.

I raised a ticket with po broadband, but they have not got back to me -perhaps they are short staffed with the virus. I will try rattling their cage again. Failing that, next month I will be out of contract and move to another supplier.
Cheers
Ian
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-May-20 18:22:56
Print Post

That's interesting because when I migrated from a BTw plusnet ADSL2+ connection to a TTB SMPF ADSL2+ connection several years ago, after the move, I initially I remained on a BT based broadband service for a week or so before the SMPF was enabled.

Guess it's different for MPF, FTTC, etc. migrations.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-May-20 18:34:34
Print Post

[re: ianhMk2] [link to this post]

What are the technical details of that "Virgin 108mb" deal you mentioned earlier?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-May-20 19:08:13
Print Post

It is different for FTTC and even with your old move should have all been done on the same day

TalkTalk SMPF is rare which might explain it, most TalkTalk ADSL2+ is MPF

Standard User ianhMk2
(newbie) Tue 19-May-20 19:23:29
Print Post

Hi, I dont know the technical dertails of the 108mbut virgin deal, here is the link
preview<dot>tinyurl<dot>com/ycdjrdnl
Cheers
Ian
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-May-20 20:02:29
Print Post

[re: ianhMk2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ianhMk2:
Hi, I dont know the technical dertails of the 108mbut virgin deal, here is the link
preview<dot>tinyurl<dot>com/ycdjrdnl
Cheers
Ian

Looks like "Virgin Media - M100 Fibre Broadband" - I thought it might be cable when you mentioned gaming (perhaps latency issues rather than pure speed alone)

Hope you don't jump from the "frying pan into the fire" with "fibre" at this particularly difficult time!

Best of luck.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to