General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ajseeds
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-20 13:05:05
Print Post

Maintained Service

[link to this post]

With the withdrawal of copper, what options will be left, other than satellite, for those who need communications to work during a sustained power cut? FTTC relies on batteries (2hours max), FTTP and mobile base stations, likewise. I understand the regulator will not require maintained 999 service once copper is withdrawn, which is just as well, as the new Emergency Services Network, when/if rolled out is embedded in the civil mobile network and will also fail after 2 hours.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Aug-20 14:24:09
Print Post

Re: Maintained Service

[re: ajseeds] [link to this post]

The batteries in the FTTC cabinets last considerably longer than 2 hours.
They should last around 8 hours on average
It depends on how many ports on the cabinet are in use.
I've seen the batteries last a little over 12 hours in some cases but the shortest time was 5-6 hours.

With FTTP most of the bigger exchanges have backup generators. Get yourself a decent UPS and you're covered.
Standard User ajseeds
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-20 17:00:46
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Dear John,

Thanks. 5-6 hours is better than I have seen reported- obviously this depends on battery condition and the load to be supported. Most of the end-users will drop off, as they will not have maintained power, which may reduce consumption a little. I checked what Openreach promise in their offer and could not find any contractual statement on this.

Regarding FTTP, this rather depends on the architecture adopted. Gigaclear, for example, depend on local mains powering- there are no back-up generators in deployments I have seen. If Openreach deployments are all straight through from exchange and the exchange has a maintained supply for the equipment, that would be a plus point for some of my clients.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 19-Aug-20 20:46:24
Print Post

The subtended headends in cabinets will be dependent on the mains supply and batteries also.
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Wed 19-Aug-20 23:29:33
Print Post

I too question how things are going
My local EE mast goes down in power cut and I am assuming it has no form of backup, will it ever even with ESN being rolled out?
Voda/O2 stays online as the mast has batteries, not sure for how long as not had long enough outage locally but not being optimistic on time
My FTTP and FVA phone is reliant on ONT batteries and UPS for outage
FTTC is not powered centrally from an exchange with large backup or generator so wont last for more than max of 8 hours, Sometimes power can go down to a local cabinet and an end user does not have a power outage a mile or so away which can also be a pain.
Digital IP voice will be reliant on UPS and generator for long term outage to power the equipment for the IP connection.
In my opinion things have taken a decline in level of continuity and reliability, Which will have an impact of when we will need modern technology most,
this will leave us in the dark and cut off at some point in the future not just for emergency services but communications to each other, in a national power outage such as 9th August 2019 which affected allot of the UK and communications. One would of hoped things could have been learnt from that day.
Satellite is an option but depends on if you are concerned with latency.

DS Forum link Outage of Mobile Comms.
Power outage lessons article
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 20-Aug-20 12:30:14
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

There is no easy answer once you move away from a metallic path circuit with a central power point (excahnge) to a fibre circuit you become dependent on local power and backup . If any of our national infrastructure is susceptible to wide scale outages it's probably the power network, but the focus seems to be on telecoms and the Asian bogey man sitting I the corner rather than our weak power supply.
Standard User ajseeds
(learned) Fri 21-Aug-20 10:57:54
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Yes, same problem. Question is what proportion of Openreach FTTP deployments have such headends?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Aug-20 12:45:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by ajseeds:
Yes, same problem. Question is what proportion of Openreach FTTP deployments have such headends?

A (currently) small number but gradually increasing number of cabinets.

S.H.E (subtended head ends) are a relatively new deployment method mainly used in rural areas.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Aug-20 20:04:32
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Only one Nokia one that is live, as for Huawei don't know but a low number for sure.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Fri 21-Aug-20 20:22:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Do you know if the subtended head end have Battery backup like FTTC? and does GFast have Backup from the FTTC Cabinet?
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Fri 21-Aug-20 20:26:55
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

Both G.fast pods and cabinet subtended headends are powered from a FTTC cabinet and would share the same cabinets battery backup in the event of mains supply loss.
Standard User ajseeds
(learned) Sun 23-Aug-20 22:40:39
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

I've looked at Gigaclear rural deployments, which seem to have mains powered green cube-shaped cabinets in a number of villages. The irony of the use of S.H.E in rural deployments is that these are the areas with overhead electric power distribution, which gets knocked down by tree branches when the wind blows. Also, when you hang G.fast on the side of FTTC cabs the higher power consumption per sub. of G.fast must reduce the time the batteries can stay up for considerably. Fortunately, G.fast should soon be a thing of the past with the push to FTTP and stripping out of copper. Does anyone know whether the Ministerial Decision to roll out the ESN with no maintained power has been signed yet? Has been shown as "awaiting" for quite some months, now.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sun 23-Aug-20 22:52:35
Print Post

I believe the batteries are upgraded when g.fast is added.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to