Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 25-Apr-12 16:41:38
Print Post

Re: Data on old hard drives

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

A bit of a moot point given that many people don't secure their disk drives in any fashion given Deadbeat's experience.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 25-Apr-12 16:47:37
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Had pretty much abandoned ferrite cores by my day!

Nowadays taking such precautions wouldn't be required because all the data would already have been lost on a usb drive or e-mailed to the wrong mailing list!
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 25-Apr-12 16:49:25
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

More truth in that than is comfortable frown

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 17:11:38
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery (section titled overwritten data).

SSDs may be more of a risk.

Not really - the secure erase command implemented on most SSDs will really erase all the data on the drive in a few seconds.

Secure erase on conventional HDDs is less reliable.

The answer, of course, is to use an encrypted drive where a digital key is required access the drive. Overwrite the key stored in the controller and the entire encrypted disc is useless.

Such discs were invented years ago but nobody bothered to use them and software encrypted drives (like the one I am using at this moment - work PC!) have only become common recently.

Strangely, when this PC is replaced I am still expected to use a secure erase packiage to wipe the disc - they obviously don't trust the encryption!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-12 17:20:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
It can be done if you're really determined, but as Mick said it's expensive and time-consuming.

Not being funny (because I don't disagree) but can you provide a link to any evidence suggesting it has been done on a modern hard drive? To the best of my knowledge it is one of them things that has never actually been proven. Not that we would expect our friendly government departments to admit to being able to do it of course.

Zen 8000 Pro
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 25-Apr-12 17:27:58
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
It can be done if you're really determined, but as Mick said it's expensive and time-consuming.

Not being funny (because I don't disagree) but can you provide a link to any evidence suggesting it has been done on a modern hard drive?
Simple answer- no, I can't.

I did spend some time down at GCHQ on a couple of occasions- I didn't witness HDDs being read the hard way, but some of the tricks I did see them pull leaves me quite convinced that they could do it if they wanted to shocked

Bear in mind that my experience is from ten years ago, I'd guess that both HDD security and the techniques for cracking it have both changed a lot in that time.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-12 17:29:08
Print Post

But if the data is worth it... when we had to dispose of classified HDDs at Aldermaston, they were stripped down and the magnetic coating sandblasted off the platters.

Did they get you to run any sort of basic deletion first? On paper that process described is adding a great deal of "surface" for the disk or platters to go missing or be stolen. It's a bit like when exam papers get sent off in a van for incineration, the bags get passed around and all sorts. It's much easier to put it through the paper shredder on the desk. Nobody is arsed enough to try and put it back together. Yet if the sheets come out of the bag in their entrity it's worth a look..

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-12 17:37:05
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
I'm slightly peturbed at that statistic. Why didn't they say three drives or the actual amount? "At least two" is a strange way of putting it when dealing with whole numbers.

It's because they have just made assumptions so they can release their FUD information that everybody knows anyway. They didn't even define "identity theft" either. You only need someone's name afterall to steal their identity.

Even the most idiotic of computer users are always talking about how to dispose their HDDs when they are done with them. You know how computer users revel in stupid security issues which they don't properly understand.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-12 17:39:46
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:

Not being funny (because I don't disagree) but can you provide a link to any evidence suggesting it has been done on a modern hard drive? To the best of my knowledge it is one of them things that has never actually been proven. Not that we would expect our friendly government departments to admit to being able to do it of course.
Well, there are plenty of data recovery firms out there. They have to earn their money somehow. I don't imagine that all they do is fix MBRs and run undelete.

“If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise” - Robert Fritz
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-12 17:42:03
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I am not aware of any data recovery firms who can recover data from a drive that has been zeroed, but willing to be proven wrong.

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to