Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 16-May-12 16:49:20
Print Post

Re: nasty telephone call

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
I bought a box off Amazon that solves that problem. It can be programmed to reject specific numbers but by default it rejects any call without an ID. It cost me £30 but it's been worth it.
Have you got some more detail on that? (A link to the product would be ideal tongue)

The only one I've heard about costs nearly a ton frown

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-May-12 17:49:17
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

The scammers don't give one whether you have a mac or linux so I don't understand the point in telling them this, the scam has failed, put the phone down, simple as.

Zen 8000 Pro
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 16-May-12 17:58:29
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

You miss the point- by the time it gets that far they realise that it's them who are being taken for a ride and you're deliberately wasting their time.

It's much more satisfying if they put the phone down smile.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-May-12 18:08:26
Print Post

Nope but I don't see what the point to us of doing it is?

You waste a few minutes of their time, no big deal, they are scamming people all day long so it's trivial to them.

Also remember some of these scammers are in the UK, and there have been incidents in the past of someone being exceptionally rude to a cold caller etc and the next thing is they have a brick coming through their window.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User slipalong
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 18:15:14
Print Post

[re: Gypsydog] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gypsydog:
......the fact you are with TPS means nothing to these people

If they are calling from outside the UK (which many/most are) then the TPS service cannot block them frown

I was referring to all these PPI and You have had a Accident calls from the UK
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Wed 16-May-12 18:42:34
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

To have some fun and satisfaction on them, this is a person who is trying to con/ scam, that will cost me money. I have done OS, even cried down the phone because I took it as a biological virus and even sang to them to date.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 16-May-12 18:51:53
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Me either. Please ring me for amusement. I'll return the favour and we can join in the fun.
Game on which one of us can be the most abusive.

Pretend to want my internet bankings that always gets me.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 16-May-12 18:52:47)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-May-12 19:07:57
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

What I find hilarious is people who say "it was clearly a scam, I did a virus scan and nothing was shown" - Sigh. People are so stupid.

And yet again Microsoft get blamed for it a lot of the time, somehow.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 16-May-12 19:43:18
Print Post

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

I use several tactics that look to work getting rid of these calls. Once you learn to just use them they work most of the time.

* Computer virus with pc. "Sorry you must have the wrong house as I do not have any pc or mobile phone, thank you for calling" then put the phone down.
* Can I fit new windows / guttering / gardening etc.. "Sorry I am renting the house", they just give up and go away.
* You have won xxxxxx on lottery, bingo etc. "Sorry I do not gamble or drink so you must have the wrong house"

IanD
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-May-12 20:14:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
That doesn't surprise me. Were their call centres in India?

To be fair, it seems to be individuals in the call centre making a quick buck by selling user data rather than the ISPs themselves.

You're right on the first point and probably guessed the the two ISP's in question. I think (I hope!) that you're right on the second point.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to