Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Oct-12 00:32:47
Print Post

Re: Which free AV software?

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
..... As for comodo. I have read the manual.......

So you missed the section regarding setting levels of sandBOXING?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 31-Oct-12 14:41:37
Print Post

Re: Which free AV software? - UPDATE

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

After two days of running a machine using MSE as I did not want to risk McAfee, I have finally found time to investigate.

Removed McAfee completely and then re-installed and all problems have disappeared. Very odd, how two machine did the same update and it corrupted both and they are not visible or accessible to each other on the network.

Have run various scans and nothing untoward found.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Oct-12 14:59:20
Print Post

I've just run a trial version of Kaspersky AV and it found 3 exploits that MSE has missed. All on uninstalled software, fortunately.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User davidblaine
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 13:58:09
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

MSE sucks. I'd recommend you Avira or AVG free edition.
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Nov-12 18:12:47
Print Post

Register a current account with Barclays Bank - you don't even need to have a positive balance; £0.00 will suffice - then apply for Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, on a 1 year 3 PC Licence. You can also get Kaspersky Mobile Security 9 on a 1 Device 1 year Licence.

The licence key for KIS 2012 will also work if/when you upgrade, for free, to KIS 2013.

O2 Home Broadband, Phone, Mobile
Pssst; O2's Broadband service has gone downhill fast in 2012, look elsewhere - I am!
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Tue 27-Nov-12 19:08:44
Print Post

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

Not worth it.
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Nov-12 13:31:47
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Interesting but completely vague comment.

Getting a paid for, comprehensive premium product, for 3 Computers plus a smartphone app, worth from anywhere between £30-£50 combined, completely free, for the time it takes to complete a 5-10 minute online application form is most definetely worth it.

Pssst; O2's Broadband service has gone downhill fast in 2012, look elsewhere - I am!

Edited by RiffRaff (Wed 28-Nov-12 13:32:50)

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Wed 28-Nov-12 16:51:44
Print Post

Superior completely free alternatives exist. No need to give out personal information.
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Nov-12 08:19:05
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Why not recommend them to the OP then, and let him weigh up the pros and cons of the replies in the thread, rather than just derailing it with vague meaningless comments that have no context.

Barclays are governed by Data Protection just like most others; i've not had any nuisance calls/emails/post as a result of opening a bank account with them, nor has anybody else i've recommended take up the offer.

As for Kaspersky, it repeatedly scores high in independant testing, so its credentials are well in the public domain for all to see. As an example, (from http://www.av-comparatives.org/ ):

http://av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_rem_20121...

Which when placed into context with the fact that KIS is a full suite, not just AV, and in conjunction with the fact you can get 3 PC's worth with a single licence, plus a Smartphone security app, the evidence is compelling (for any benefits to [percieved] negatives ratios).

And for the OP, as always; better to try as many high ranking AV packages (free trials) on their own equipment to see how well they perform/feel.

Edited by RiffRaff (Thu 29-Nov-12 08:22:10)

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Thu 29-Nov-12 09:15:28
Print Post

My response wasn't aimed at the OP's 1 month old post.

MSE + Windows Firewall is just as good as any other solution, when combined with software patching, etc. No need to let a 3rd-party get their grubby hands on the Windows kernel!

All AV is cheap these days because it is practically worthless, so the deal isn't amazing as it might look.

BTW, you should look at a superior mobile OS if yours is riddled with malware. Smartphone security app?! Well I never.... wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to