Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Mar-13 21:31:16
Print Post

Re: Strange email (spoofing?)

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Mine was hacked in Bangladesh - by Yahoo Mobile.3 weeks ago frown

Steve
final week of O2.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Mar-13 21:37:02
Print Post

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

I only noticed because I had pop forwarding to Outlook, had the dodgy email address bounce, changed password then deleted account.

Steve
final week of O2.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Fri 29-Mar-13 22:42:06
Print Post

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

Is it possible to cancel/delete a yahoo.co.uk email account?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Mar-13 22:54:57
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

Any help?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Fri 29-Mar-13 23:26:17
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Thanks very much smile
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jun-13 08:45:35
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this has just happened to my Yahoo email account, exactly the same as bobble_bob describes.

Dennis
plusnet Unlimited & talkanytime
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Thu 06-Jun-13 12:53:13
Print Post

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

This has never stopped. Never even really died down. These messages from yahoo accounts have continued ever since it was first reported. Then the same has more recently been happening with BT email accounts.
News the other day that BT is separating itself away from using Yahoo. I'm assuming this email spam situation is at least part of the reason.
FWIW, it seems that the problem lies on the yahoo / BT email servers, and that the spam is not directly coming from individuals' PCs.
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Fri 07-Jun-13 18:56:46
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clyde123:
This has never stopped. Never even really died down. These messages from yahoo accounts have continued ever since it was first reported. Then the same has more recently been happening with BT email accounts.
News the other day that BT is separating itself away from using Yahoo. I'm assuming this email spam situation is at least part of the reason.
FWIW, it seems that the problem lies on the yahoo / BT email servers, and that the spam is not directly coming from individuals' PCs.

OK then, what is the perceived wisdom on the course of action that should be taken when you discover you are a victim?
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Jun-13 13:00:34
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

If the compromise is due to the theft of passwords - http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/12/tech/web/yahoo-use... - you should change your password to something else and you should be OK untill Yahoo gets hacked again.

It seems Yahoo hasn't really sorted itself out yet though. Up to 22 million Yahoo Japan passwords were hacked last month; http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-05/20/yahoo...

As well as changing password and doing a virus/malware scan on you PC you could also change email providers to one with a better record on password security.

Good luck!

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Jun-13 13:14:49
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

One thing worth mentioning is that sometimes an email which purports to come from a particular account hasn't. If a friend of the account holder gets their email account and address book hacked, the emails sent out by the hacker may be sent with the identity of anyone in the address book.

They usually spam others in the same address book on the basis that two people whose email addresses are in the same address book are more likely to know each other and therefore view emails with less suspicion.

I used to get emails apparently from my own email account but that was impossible. Looking at the full email headers showed that the emails didn't come from any of my mail servers but it was just my address which was being used by a third party sent via a hacked PC.

I've now put a stop to these sort of emails by specifying which email servers may send email from my domain (SPF record for the curious). Anything sent from an unauthorized server is rejected. Some email providers also use SPF to filter out incoming messages dropping those which come from places they shouldn't.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to