Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Jun-13 17:36:13
Print Post

Re: Norton 360 Renewal

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TLM:
I'm not interested in bootleg versions
Why do you say 'bootleg'? They are not fakes as if they were their licence keys wouldn't work.

I guess many of them are old years and/or surplus badged stock from the likes of PC World.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:29:49
Print Post

Re: Norton 360 Renewal (update)

Interesting(ish) sequel to this:

I bought a legit copy of the s/w elsewhere for £29.99, instead of the £54.99 Norton themselves were quoting.

I waited until today (the last day of validity of the old software) to renew. I initially had a bit of trouble locating how to update using key only. In my quest, I initially tried: "Renew", to find I was suddenly offered renewal at the further discounted price of...wait for it...£29.99!

So given that I purchased it from an online retailer (Total Computing, if anybody's interested) for £29.99, AND it's now available at Norton for £29.99, I wonder if that is the correct price, and whether it's ever really £54.99, or whether it's automatically configured to offer you a discount at the point of sale, so you always believe you got a bargain? Would they really have charged me £54.99, if I'd renewed as prompted, 30 days ago, but only £29.99 today? Meaning that it pays to leave it to the last possible minute?

Or would the price mysteriously have dropped, regardless of timing?

Luckily, I didn't lose out by having already bought it, as it was exactly the same price, and free delivery as well (though I didn't actually need the disk - only the key). But I'd have been annoyed if I'd gone elsewhere and settled for, say, £35 (to Norton's advertised £54.99), only to find the latter's real price was £29.99.

I shall be very careful in future, as Norton's headline price is almost certainly not the one you should be paying - whether you buy direct from them, or from someone else.

T.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:34:29
Print Post

Also £26.99 if wanted on a simple download.

http://www.totalcomputing.co.uk/Norton_360_2013_3_Us...

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:45:02
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Didn't see that at the time, but dunno if it would have worked out better or worse, as I didn't actually want/need to download anything. If you purchase a "download only" version, I assume you must proceed with the download, otherwise how do you get the key? Or do they e-mail it to you?

T.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Jul-13 14:12:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
If you purchase a "download only" version, I assume you must proceed with the download, otherwise how do you get the key? Or do they e-mail it to you?
No need to D/L. Online chat:
You (click to change): If I buy a Norton download from you, how do I receive the licence key?

Total Computing has joined

Total Computing: We send it via email

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 16-Jul-13 15:06:47
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for that - worth remembering for next time.

They seem a helpful bunch over there.

My order came very quickly, complete with a link to their (TotalComputing's) troubleshooting guide, should it fail to install (which I didn't have to use, as I wasn't installing anything), and the direct phone number for Norton's own support. OK, I know I didn't resort to either of these, but how often do you get a note of resources for if it doesn't work with your order?

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but usually when I've bought software, it's come with nothing but the default packaging from the factory, so if I run into problems, it's either Google or ask here. It may cost them next-to-nothing, but I thought it was a nice little touch of customer care.

T.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 17-Jul-13 12:12:44
Print Post

Even stranger...

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Get an email today (obviously oblivious to the fact I renewed it yesterday, which has been successful, as it hasn't stopped working).

Email says the subscription expired today, and to buy now to get a discount. The discounted price is back to...£54.99 again. After yesterday they said I could renew for £29.99.

Seems like airline tickets - no set price, and what you're quoted will depend which day/what time of day you're asking!

T.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-13 12:23:18
Print Post

Re: Even stranger...

Best to never buy via norton they always charge more

I got norton Internet security 2010 in tesco for £4 for 3 computers. It updated itself to the latest version too!
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 17-Jul-13 13:17:51
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hmmm, good for you that it worked out OK.

Personally, though, I wouldn't have paid for three years out-of-date security software, because there's no way of knowing whether it would automatically update or not, and if it wouldn't, it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I suppose you could argue not much to lose if it didn't - worst case is you'd end up having to buy and install the latest version anyway. But I always buy the latest one.

T.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-13 13:30:58
Print Post

I knew it would have worked. 2007 / 2008 onwards work fine.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to