Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 17-Jun-13 09:18:07
Print Post

Norton 360 Renewal

[link to this post]

I've just had my first annual renewal notice, and am shocked that it's more than I originally paid for the software itself. I believe I only paid about £30, at the time. The renewal is £54.99, and that's supposedly discounted from a usual £59.99!

Even Norton's own site are selling the software brand new for £35.99. Is there anything to stop me just buying it new and reinstalling, rather than paying the extortionate "renewal"? Do they have some devious mechanism to prevent this (i.e. it will detect there's been a previous installation)?

I suppose it's slightly more hassle to install it again, rather than maintain seamless protection, but it's a big saving.

Other than that, I'm thinking of ditching it altogether, and going back to free stuff, like Avast and Zone Alarm. Or I think my bank might offer Kaspersky for free - but no idea if it's the full version, or just some subset geared to online banking.

T.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-13 10:15:57
Print Post

Re: Norton 360 Renewal

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Quite these products are tied to email address used to order so if you use a different email address you are usually ok.

If the web site is sellng a new version rather than just extending updates of virus definitions then you "should" be able to install it over the vesion you have.

Banks normally offer the full version of AV packages. Barclays offer Kapersky free for a year. HSBC, SKY etc offer McAfee for a year. With HSBC if you use a diferent email address you can get a new version every year - that is what I did for multiple PCs for many years.

I currently use the version of McAfee from BT broadband - their offer is free for a number of PCs for the duration of the BB contract.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Mon 17-Jun-13 10:29:27
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I can't remember the last time I paid for AV as Barclays give me a 3 PC license every year for Kaspersky.

The only condition is that you have to bank online with them so open an e-saver with £1 and then apply online. It is what my mum and dad do.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Mon 17-Jun-13 10:30:01
Print Post

Typical renewal ripoff as practised by many companies and perfected by the insurance 'industry'. They hope you won't notice and pay up like thousands of others.

Save yourself money, question EVERY renewal of EVERYTHING. Shop around and get a few quotes, if your provider won't match them then take your business elsewhere.

In this case I wouldn't even consider Norton. I've found Kaspersky the best in recent years and if you can get it as part of a package, great. Otherwise go online and you'll find KIS for a few pounds, don't bother with the CD therein but download the latest version from the Kaspersky website and enter the activation code from your purchase.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 17-Jun-13 11:52:50
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

I'm not unhappy with Norton, and certainly much happier than I was with McAfee - which admittedly was the "enterprise" version, at the time, as it was supplied by work - so no idea how it compares with a single license for home use.

I'm not one of the dummies who automatically renews everything without question (although I do find it frustrating that I have to move my insurance every year without fail). But it's annoying if you did quite like the product, but are still having to go elsewhere.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 17-Jun-13 11:56:28
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

I'm with Barclays anyway, just never really looked into it. I had a nagging suspicion anything you got for free would be worth exactly what you paid for it.

I'm guessing it's just basic antivirus - no firewall or any extras?

T.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 12:34:34
Print Post

It's the full blown Kaspersky Internet Security which includes an ad blocker.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-13 13:17:07
Print Post

Never pay for AV. If you must use it, have a look at Security Essentials and Avast.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 13:35:39
Print Post

I got fed up with paying for the likes of KIS, AVIRA,McAfee etc etc slowing processes down on XP and getting more bloated year on end so I now use the free version of this Internet Security Suite and all I can say is so far so good smile

Alastair

omadasafisho
(member) Mon 17-Jun-13 14:32:48
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Yup Barclays use the full blown KIS on their PC's so buying a few million extra liscenses for the customers costs them very little.

At the volume they buy them in it may only cost them a couple of quid per customer which is a lot better than retail offerings.

I know the local PC repair man who has gone into Laptop oem and he says for AV/Windows etc volume pricing is crazy.

MS only charge £6 per copy of win 7/8 if you purchase in the volumes that Dell. HP etc can yet he will be charged £40 and he cannot get anywhere near the next price break as he is just inside that one.
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 15:21:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by undecidedadrian:
I can't remember the last time I paid for AV as Barclays give me a 3 PC license every year for Kaspersky.

Interestingly, I've just checked with NatWest, & they DON'T offer any AV/Firewall progs - they expect you to provide it yourself!

Regards,
John
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 15:35:53
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Comodo is very good but as far as not slowing things down is concerned, FSecure, KIS and Sophos are top ranked in the AV Comparatives tests whilst Avira attains a slightly above average score (Higher the better).
MSE slightly outscores Avira but in my personal experience (AVC no longer include it in their tests), it's extremely poor in all other aspects.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 15:37:01
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

They offer that dreaded Rapport and that's your lot! However, KIS licences can be obtained for as little as a fiver on Amazon. I bought a 5 user 1 year set for £11 a few weeks ago.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!

Edited by Deadbeat (Mon 17-Jun-13 15:38:27)

Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 17-Jun-13 19:07:46
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

I can't see any good reason NOT to use it. It's true that I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of significant threats or issues it's detected over the years. But it might only take one to cause a whole load of hassle and heartache.

Similarly, I've only claimed on my household insurance once in over 20 years. But I don't think that's an argument for scrapping it.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-13 19:23:47
Print Post

3rd-party AV such as Sophos and Kaspersky, has caused a number of stability issues as of late.

Sensible behaviour, software patching and application hardening will do a much better job than any AV.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/03/help-keep-threats...
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/whats-in-the-news/2013/...
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2013/06/se...
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 17-Jun-13 19:30:02
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

To be fair, I wouldn't really see it as your bank's responsibility to provide the security arrangements for your end of things. It's just an optional thing Barclays happens to offer, but which I've never yet taken them up on. It wouldn't sway my choice of bank at all.

Like, I suspect, the majority of bank customers, I'm only with them because I always have been, since the age of 17 or 18 - well before the advent of online banking. I find them mediocre at just about everything, but luckily, my banking needs are rather basic - I don't want loans, overdrafts, or complex financial products. I just want to be able to pay in and draw out, which mostly goes without a hitch. I suspect if I had more complex needs more frequently, we might part company pretty soon.

T.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 17-Jun-13 19:40:12
Print Post

I do all that stuff, but don't consider myself infallible. I may have had only three or four alerts in over a decade of online "life", that weren't false alarms. But the fact there were any at all illustrates that "being sensible" isn't always enough.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 19:46:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
Is there anything to stop me just buying it new and reinstalling, rather than paying the extortionate "renewal"?
Nowt at all! Just buy any new unused version of Norton 360 (upgrade or full version) for any recent year not later then your current year, from Norton or even eBay, and just read off the licence key and feed it into your current installed version on the date of current expiry. You don't even need to reinstall or even the supplied CD and you can save yourself a packet to boot.

I've done this for ages with NAV & NIS.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-13 20:35:33
Print Post

Three or four detected instances of known malware. AV is not foolproof. Maybe next time you won't be so lucky.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 22:00:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zadeks:
3rd-party AV such as Sophos and Kaspersky, has caused a number of stability issues as of late....

Any proof of this statement?

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 22:02:09
Print Post

.... Sensible behaviour, software patching and application hardening will do a much better job than any AV.....

Rubbish!

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-13 22:17:52
Print Post

http://www.zdnet.com/sophos-antivirus-detects-own-up...
http://servicestatus.msu.edu/status_detail.php?id=9609
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/02/05/kaspersky-anti...
(member) Mon 17-Jun-13 22:22:59
Print Post

3rd-party AV such as Sophos and Kaspersky, has caused a number of stability issues as of late.

Sensible behaviour, software patching and application hardening will do a much better job than any AV.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/03/help-keep-threats...
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/whats-in-the-news/2013/...
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2013/06/se...

If you are going to go that route you might as well go the whole hog and install Linux and have a lot less malware running about for your system.

Mind you I am in the transition of moving over to linux and it does feel strange doing things without a "safety net" so to speak.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-13 22:30:30
Print Post

AV is rubbish, indeed. So rubbish it only cost you £11. Fewer and fewer users are falling for the AV industry FUD, hence the ridiculously low price.

If AV were any good, we wouldn't have a huge malware problem. Signature-based AV is old-hat and HIPS produces way too many false positives to be of any use.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-13 22:34:16
Print Post

The same steps apply to Linux. Contrary to popular believe, Linux is far from install and forget when it comes to security. Mac users learn't this the hard way when hundreds of thousands of them were compromised by the flashback trojan.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 22:37:05
Print Post

It depends. Some users are utterly stupid and not only do they need antivirus they need all the value-add [censored] to protect them from entering bank details onto the most strangest looking sites, from opening emails which are clearly dodgy etc.

As Windows 8 comes with antivirus then that is a no brainer, unless, the users require the value-add stuff mentioned above.

Windows does not have to have an antivirus to be secure, but if you put silly users on it then it is a must smile

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-13 23:00:31
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Anti-virus doesn't protect stupid users.

Stupid users are owned because they vulnerable to being socially-engineered. They are also let down by companies that refuse to add real auto-update to software *cough* JAVA *cough*.

http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2012/Oracl...
http://redmondmag.com/articles/2013/06/13/java-users...
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 18-Jun-13 11:25:00
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Having a browse round the internet, it seems many have installed a new version straight over the top, without even bothering to uninstall first, although I think you are the first to suggest it might be possible with ONLY the key, without installing anything at all. Indications are that if I'd like to stick with Norton (which I probably would, as I've got to know the interface now, and have been happy), the best option is to buy the cheapest (legit) software you can, instead of paying the renewal. I'll probably settle for this.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Jun-13 13:49:29
Print Post

Re: Norton 360 Renewal - EDITED

it seems many have installed a new version straight over the top, without even bothering to uninstall first
Indeed, if you have unexpired old version, Norton itself via LiveUpdate will often offer to install the latest version over the top for free. That's why on eBay you often see "NAV 2007 upgradable to 2013" for sale. Altho' for a clean install it better to use the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) 1st.

As long as you get the licence key for a relatively recent version you can upgrade to the latest for free.

I have found for NAV it is 2006 onwards and for NIS 2007 onwards. Never having used Norton 360 I can't say what that is but as long as you get your current year or later you'd be OK.

EDIT: Believe this page defines which versions are upgradable to latest: Support Policy

it might be possible with ONLY the key
Just make sure the copy you are buying is brand-new so that the key has never been registered with Norton.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 18-Jun-13 14:21:10)

Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 18-Jun-13 22:02:17
Print Post

Re: Norton 360 Renewal - EDITED

The version I've got is, by definition, only a year old, and I think it recently updated to the newer version anyway. So in theory, supplying the new s/w key should find a fully up-to-date version installed already, without having to remove and re-install.

I'm not interested in bootleg versions, so that's not a worry. If it came to it, I'd even buy direct from Norton at £35.99. By no means the cheapest it can be had, but still a lot better than the £54.99 they want for "renewal". What a con!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Jun-13 17:36:13
Print Post

I'm not interested in bootleg versions
Why do you say 'bootleg'? They are not fakes as if they were their licence keys wouldn't work.

I guess many of them are old years and/or surplus badged stock from the likes of PC World.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:29:49
Print Post

Re: Norton 360 Renewal (update)

Interesting(ish) sequel to this:

I bought a legit copy of the s/w elsewhere for £29.99, instead of the £54.99 Norton themselves were quoting.

I waited until today (the last day of validity of the old software) to renew. I initially had a bit of trouble locating how to update using key only. In my quest, I initially tried: "Renew", to find I was suddenly offered renewal at the further discounted price of...wait for it...£29.99!

So given that I purchased it from an online retailer (Total Computing, if anybody's interested) for £29.99, AND it's now available at Norton for £29.99, I wonder if that is the correct price, and whether it's ever really £54.99, or whether it's automatically configured to offer you a discount at the point of sale, so you always believe you got a bargain? Would they really have charged me £54.99, if I'd renewed as prompted, 30 days ago, but only £29.99 today? Meaning that it pays to leave it to the last possible minute?

Or would the price mysteriously have dropped, regardless of timing?

Luckily, I didn't lose out by having already bought it, as it was exactly the same price, and free delivery as well (though I didn't actually need the disk - only the key). But I'd have been annoyed if I'd gone elsewhere and settled for, say, £35 (to Norton's advertised £54.99), only to find the latter's real price was £29.99.

I shall be very careful in future, as Norton's headline price is almost certainly not the one you should be paying - whether you buy direct from them, or from someone else.

T.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:34:29
Print Post

Also £26.99 if wanted on a simple download.

http://www.totalcomputing.co.uk/Norton_360_2013_3_Us...

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:45:02
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Didn't see that at the time, but dunno if it would have worked out better or worse, as I didn't actually want/need to download anything. If you purchase a "download only" version, I assume you must proceed with the download, otherwise how do you get the key? Or do they e-mail it to you?

T.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Jul-13 14:12:57
Print Post

If you purchase a "download only" version, I assume you must proceed with the download, otherwise how do you get the key? Or do they e-mail it to you?
No need to D/L. Online chat:
You (click to change): If I buy a Norton download from you, how do I receive the licence key?

Total Computing has joined

Total Computing: We send it via email

Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 16-Jul-13 15:06:47
Print Post

Thanks for that - worth remembering for next time.

They seem a helpful bunch over there.

My order came very quickly, complete with a link to their (TotalComputing's) troubleshooting guide, should it fail to install (which I didn't have to use, as I wasn't installing anything), and the direct phone number for Norton's own support. OK, I know I didn't resort to either of these, but how often do you get a note of resources for if it doesn't work with your order?

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but usually when I've bought software, it's come with nothing but the default packaging from the factory, so if I run into problems, it's either Google or ask here. It may cost them next-to-nothing, but I thought it was a nice little touch of customer care.

T.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 17-Jul-13 12:12:44
Print Post

Even stranger...

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Get an email today (obviously oblivious to the fact I renewed it yesterday, which has been successful, as it hasn't stopped working).

Email says the subscription expired today, and to buy now to get a discount. The discounted price is back to...£54.99 again. After yesterday they said I could renew for £29.99.

Seems like airline tickets - no set price, and what you're quoted will depend which day/what time of day you're asking!

T.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-13 12:23:18
Print Post

Re: Even stranger...

Best to never buy via norton they always charge more

I got norton Internet security 2010 in tesco for £4 for 3 computers. It updated itself to the latest version too!
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 17-Jul-13 13:17:51
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hmmm, good for you that it worked out OK.

Personally, though, I wouldn't have paid for three years out-of-date security software, because there's no way of knowing whether it would automatically update or not, and if it wouldn't, it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I suppose you could argue not much to lose if it didn't - worst case is you'd end up having to buy and install the latest version anyway. But I always buy the latest one.

T.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-13 13:30:58
Print Post

I knew it would have worked. 2007 / 2008 onwards work fine.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-13 13:38:13
Print Post

there's no way of knowing whether it would automatically update or not
The licence key for an unused out-of-date Norton (but not too ancient, say 2007 onwards) will always activate a newer installed version. Once activated, Norton itself will offer and provide its latest version as an update.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 17-Jul-13 17:44:46
Print Post

That is (unsurprisingly) not well-publicised, and there's no guarantee how long it will continue to be true, either. Presumably, at some point, the versions will have got too divergent to be upwardly compatible, OR they'll just withdraw support for it - why would they want people still to be able to buy six- or seven- year old software for a pittance, but be able to upgrade for free to the latest version? I'm budget conscious, but not enough to deliberately buy out-of-date software. Not when it comes to security, anyway. If it was just a game or something, I wouldn't care if it wasn't the latest, all-singing, all-dancing version, and there was no guaranteed upgrade path.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-13 18:12:42
Print Post

I'm budget conscious, but not enough to deliberately buy out-of-date software.
You are not buying the s/w but just the licence key. There is no upwardly compatibility of s/w required.

Be skeptical but this has worked since 2006 at least. Do you really think that Norton has not realised the possibility for over 7 years?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-13 23:45:15
Print Post

I have to admit that you do have one point. The purchased old version / product key may have been stolen resulting in : "Revoked Product Key: Your product key has been canceled and is no longer valid".

However in all the years I have bought product keys this way, including stockpiling for the future, I have never had one revoked.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 19-Jul-13 21:30:11
Print Post

I don't think it's that they haven't realised the possibility. It's just that it doesn't come with any promises, and they could decide to close the door on it at any time - as soon as they decide there are too few users of legacy versions to be worth pandering to any more, OR they decide they're losing too much money by honouring ancient keys, and need to "encourage" purchase of up-to-date versions.

It doesn't much matter whether you're buying the actual software or not. I'm sure they have a system for keeping track of which keys were issued with which versions, and it would be a simple matter to decide that six- or seven-year old keys aren't going to be accepted any more.

In response to your other post, I'm sure stolen keys are not an issue if you go to a reputable retailer like Tesco (but a lot of people probably said that about horsemeat! shocked) If you go to eBay, who knows?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jul-13 23:02:39
Print Post

I'm prepared to take that chance. At the mo' they will allow any in-licence 2005 onwards version to upgrade free to latest, see Support Policy. If push comes to shove I'll just start buying 2010 onwards licences currently; they are not that much dearer, if at all, and still cheaper than from Norton itself.

W.r.t. eBay: same goes for any product. Caveat Emptor! grin

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to