Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 25-Jun-13 12:01:02
Print Post

Re: Do take care, if you are or have been a Nationwide custo

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

It's nothing to do with Nationwide, I get these for Lloyds, HSBC, Co-op, Santander, Barclays, Natwest, Halifax, HBOS, HMRC, etc.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Tue 25-Jun-13 13:39:11
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Me too!

The only time you'll look twice before deleting is if it happens to be your bank, and I usually forward them to the banks security department.

The email filters seem pretty good, as when I do get something like this, it's usually in my junk mail box.

Twice in 18 months I've had a small number of phishing emails in my Zen inbox, supposedly from US companies, and all headed with a lot of Zen users emails, so someone must have a list of email addresses.
Both times it only happened once, so Zen must manage to block them.

Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Jun-13 14:35:52
Print Post

Maybe, but I'm also with Lloyds and Barclays and never get them for those. Then again, perhaps my email provider's anti-phishing screening filters out some of the junk. The only phishing emails I ever get are for Nationwide.

plusnet unlimited fibre

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jun-13 14:42:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by RiffRaff:
Maybe, but I'm also with Lloyds and Barclays and never get them for those. Then again, perhaps my email provider's anti-phishing screening filters out some of the junk. The only phishing emails I ever get are for Nationwide.

At one time I used to gets lots & lots of phishing emails (including from a lot of USA based Banks).

But, bizarrely, I never got any "pretending" to be from my own Bank at the time!

Regards,
John
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jun-13 14:45:35
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I got a false positive with an email from my bank last week which incorrectly got flagged as spam so you do need to check those carefully.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Jun-13 17:26:17
Print Post

[re: mikebear] [link to this post]

I have just had an email from Nationwide - a genuine one - which states:-

Beware of imitations
We want you to be sure this is a genuine Nationwide email. For your peace of mind, we will always include your postcode at the top of any email from Nationwide*.

You can also reassure yourself that this email does not request any confidential details or security information such as account numbers or PINs. We will never request confidential information by email.
(Nationwide's bold)

AFAIK that, or very similar, has appeared on every correspondence from them for quite some time.

"The problem with stuff that is meant to be idiotproof is that it immediately stimulates the development of new and improved idiots"
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Thu 27-Jun-13 18:34:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
It's nothing to do with Nationwide, I get these for Lloyds, HSBC, Co-op, Santander, Barclays, Natwest, Halifax, HBOS, HMRC, etc.

Same here, Wish I was rich enough to have so many accounts by so many Pedal and Cranks.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 28-Jun-13 12:22:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yep, I get several of these a week. Usually purporting to be from banks I've NEVER dealt with. And my real bank don't even have my e-mail address (intentionally so), so if anything ever claimed to be from them, I'd know it was fishy (or phishy).

If I posted an alert, each one I got, I'd be spamming these forums with hundreds of the things.

T.
Standard User gastro2008
(member) Mon 30-Sep-13 11:03:27
Print Post

Had these to my email addresses but NOT the one I use for my Nationwide Account so just delete them
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to