Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Thu 20-Aug-15 16:57:33
Print Post

Re: mysterous issue

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

I think the answer is yes. According to my son he contacted Virgin, his service provider and asked to revert back to the previous procedure of logging on. I am not sure what they did. But he reconnected to his WIFI following the usual way by entering his password.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Fri 21-Aug-15 10:41:19
Print Post

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply! Your son's ISP, VM in this case, must have told your son HOW to re-configure his concerned PC (with Windows 10 installed now) to disable WiFi "sharing or similar" such that he could revert back to the normal WiFi logging in by using his SSID and Password as key.

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC
Standard User keith969
(newbie) Fri 21-Aug-15 13:38:14
Print Post

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

That does seem rather strange, but then so is Windows 10.

If I connect to a wireless network on my Macbook Pro, it remembers it (you can manage this and tell it to forget networks). Then if I go somewhere else and set up a different wifi access, when I come back it remembers the first network... however if he'd never been to his flat with the new PC then I would not expect it to be able to connect without a password. That seems a security hazard to me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Fri 21-Aug-15 14:43:51
Print Post

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by OCdragon:
Not meant to hijack this post, but can you disable this weird Windows 10's wireless connection feature so that it will be just like a plain old Windows 7 wireless authendication feature by using SSID and Password only???

Thanks

O&O Software have released a freeware tool to check/change these privacy concerns, without having to trawl all through a mass of dialogue boxes.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Cheers !
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to