Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TechServ
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-19 15:04:34
Print Post

Re: stop wifi remotely, ethernet lan to remain on.

[re: grapevine1] [link to this post]

Lots of good sensible comments on improving your wifi security already posted, but just as an aside - are you certain you are seeing hacking attempts via wifi?

The only reason I ask, is I have seen a number of times people mistaking "hacking" / unauthorised attempts to authenticate to a domestic wifi signal - do you have the MAC address of the suspect device? From this we could ascertain the vendor and even model number - unfortunately all to often in domestic settings the rogue device is found to be either a forgotten device or a neighbour inadvertently attempting to connect to the wrong router.

When you say that the device follows when you change wifi channels and trys to connect to the HP printer as well - this suggests it might be something locally that has once legitimately connected to the network rather than something malicious.

Very rarely does a domestic connection see multiple attempts to brute force connection over a period of more than a minute or 2, even rarer would be multiple attempts on separate occasions.

Far more likely to be a mobile device that once connected or entered incorrect password repeatedly automatically jumping on the SSID when in range, then timing out or the user forcing a different connection to regain working internet access.

There really is no need to spend a lot of money on a high end router I would suggest - use the ISP provided router and if you want to easily disconnect WiFi when not in use you can:

Disable all WiFi in the ISP supplied router
Login to the old Router and change the SSID Network name and set a new secure password with WPA2 encryption - ensure you do this for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Turn off DHCP on the old Router. Change the device IP Address from (say 192.168.1.1) to a unique static address ie 192.168.1.249. This device will no longer act as a router, only as a WiFi Access Point.
Connect the old Router to the new ISP Router from LAN to LAN - do not connect WAN / DSL on old router.
To disable WiFi simple power off the old router only. Internet connection will remain on ISP router without WiFi.

If you have the MAC address you can post this and we can look up the vendor and device for you.
Standard User grapevine1
(regular) Mon 14-Jan-19 16:39:56
Print Post

[re: TechServ] [link to this post]

Tech Serv,
Just to make this very short.
We know the two persons in particular that have been hands on the modem
We know the make of modem/router and its badge name
we know the service provider
We know the contract details
We know the MAC address
We know the vendetta of the two persons involved and the reason why.
AND a lot more
We now know who else is involved quite a surprise

I was placing this slightly strange marker headline to get some feed and looking for hands on users qualified or simply experienced by practical use and wished for info as to what equipment from personal practical application they think that produts and their configurations have been used to
protect without going to the killer top price to attempt a fix and or legally entrap (entrapment is generally not an offence) a troublemaker from such actions to a domestic situation

We now have the list of names of all those involved for all appropriate action which has commenced before I started asking these questions.
If you wish to PM me please do
BW
grapevine1

PS In sitting down with Hackers in the past (in the course of my employment to be one of a team looking into how they achieved what they achieved), the majority and most competant ones, had no formal education from a computer, IT or communications (I add electronic) formal education arena, we obtained, and I was one of a team increased my knowledge (in shock) and we as members of that team realised how our formal education in the subject was why we found it so difficult to find little or any structured approach that had been taken on their route to cause the havok that that those that do for fun or financial and material gain. I live with a very open mind
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 14-Jan-19 19:07:48
Print Post

Is this happening in the UK, or Bangkok, or Phuket? Or in any way associated with a business in those places.

(If anybody thinks that is filter evasion, the second is a place just like the first, and I have reason to think the OP may be associated with those two places).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 14-Jan-19 19:08:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-19 21:28:32
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Does not stop them, only thing that can truly stop them hacking the Wi-Fi having no Wi-Fi

MAC filtering and hiding SSID are two of those make people feel like they are doing something comfort blanket security measures

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Tue 15-Jan-19 14:23:53
Print Post

Because everything that is connecting to the AP is broadcasting the SSID it is looking to and/or is connected to.

So as the blackhat all I need to do is sniff the WiFi traffic in the vicinity for a short while and I will quickly find out what SSID's devices are connecting to.

At this point I would note that I can also see all the visible SSID's so can quickly get a list of SSID's that are being hidden, which as a "blackhat" are of extra interest.
Standard User grapevine1
(regular) Fri 18-Jan-19 20:56:01
Print Post

B_Fm
So if I was to pose you a question what modem would you chose to act as a WiFi only unit with its 12V DC supply switched off when not required and the approopriate turning off of its DHCP etc and what modem would you choose to handle the connection (today at last via a short twin copper feed noiw from the FTTC) to the ISP and our feed from the ethernet switch that has separate feeds from our laptops and other devices that we use in the house there is also a separate ethernet feed from the different security and monitoring units.
I must admit that I am partial to netgear routers fancy something like NETGEAR D7000 series Nighthawk AC1900 but have been reading up on the VR900v2, all will have to be 12 volts DC fed. I have a friend who is attempting to convert me to Mikrotik modems, and Ubiquitik so a little more reading I guess.
BW
grapevine1

A great improvement tonight, three new stout NEW poles yersterday in the lane and upgrade from 4M to 32, almost instant!! pages so worth the efforts I hope. Just like the office in central London!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Jan-19 21:45:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by grapevine1:
B_Fm
So if I was to pose you a question what modem would you chose to act as a WiFi only unit
wink [pedant mode on]
Modems don't do wifi. In fact technically neither do routers or modem/routers.

What are frequently called routers on broadband forums are nearly always all-in-one boxes containing a modem, a router, and a wireless access point. [/pedant mode]

Compare with an all-in-one printer. It isn't a photocopier. It isn't a scanner. It is a printer with the other functions built in smile.

In fact at the domestic level these days it is almost (or completely?) impossible to find a modem. The only ones called "modem" I see are all modem/routers configured in bridge mode to bypass the router (and WAP if fitted) component(s). The prime examples being the Draytek 130 and the two Openreach FTTC "modems".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User adrenalize_
(learned) Fri 18-Jan-19 21:50:26
Print Post

From various feedback avoid the Netgear D7000 v2. The original D7000 v1 was great.

Thats got the ADSL/VDSL modem built in - but for just using one as a WiFi AP then its a bit overkill. The R6250 or R6300 are great small(ish) routers that can be put in AP mode and do 5GHz 802.11AC.
Standard User grapevine1
(regular) Sat 19-Jan-19 00:11:00
Print Post

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

Thanks adrenalze
Thanks you dug my mind, Yes theD7000v2 was not what some expected, I now recall a bit of a surprise after the more solid v1 there are so many win a bits and lose a bit.
I think maybe with so many changes coming I refer to advances and speed of rollout etc.
Maybe the time has come for me to go for separates
Im running Gigabts switches, the cat6 cable has been in use here for some time .
I use modem as a throw away term and have been corrected to Wireless access point
I thought that WPA3 would have been in by now, anyday perhaps? Ive just got a gut feeling.
So a WAC 104 dont think its necessary for the 124 unless Ive missed something.
Something like an old DM200 I have for a little while or such like, just maybe have to wait a few more months. Possibly the R6250 a good suggestion as I believe it runs some 10signals.
The reason If we do get the offer anticipated of FTTP I could play further, I put a (40 metre by 40mm" duct) from inside the house to the edge of the tarmac road/lane in 2009.
Im sure in another year the landline will be an item of the past at a gathering pace.
BW
grapevine1
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 19-Jan-19 00:43:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by grapevine1:
Im sure in another year the landline will be an item of the past at a gathering pace.
Mine ceases at the end of this month. My FTTC ceased in December.

Fully 4G mobile now, see my sig, with my phone in wifi hotspot mode and obviously still performing all its other functions. Saving £40pm. Drives itself, a laptop and an iPad. Netflix on Chromecast to the non-smart TV tested and works.

Latency wouldn't do for a gamer, and can occasionally add a couple of seconds to a complex website load. But! In daily use latency is fine, (not 70Mbps AAISP standard, so what?), £40pm is £480pa, and my connection travels with me smile.

PS: A long-established silver surfer!

Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 19-Jan-19 00:47:03)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to