Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gostak
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-19 18:23:21
Print Post

Protect LAN connection

[link to this post]

My ISP is Plusnet, and the router is supplied by them. The wifi does not reach everywhere in the house, so I have set up a TP-link system with several plugs, some of which have wifi and LAN, and some LAN only. This works well.

I have just bought an electric car, and the fast charger is to be installed in a carport at the end of the garden. The supplier has said that it would be beneficial to be able to connect this to the internet, but the wifi signal does not reach the carport, even when using a TP-link plug. I can however, connect a laptop to the internet using a TP-link plug with a LAN cable, so I assure this would also work with the charger. However, this would allow a passer-by to connect their own device to our network via the LAN cable. While this is probably not very likely, it is certainly not desirable.

I would like to know if it is possible to password protect the LAN connection, or protect it in any other way. My understanding of how the network works is quite limited, and I would be grateful for any advice as to how I can deal with this problem.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Thu 13-Jun-19 20:05:18
Print Post

Re: Protect LAN connection

[re: gostak] [link to this post]

I'd want to know more about that. I can only think of one benefit from your point of view and that would be to allow you to monitor the car charge state remotely. It would no doubt allow data collection by various companies e.g. a recent report (can't remember offhand where I saw it) about the huge amount of data being fed to numerous companies by a robot vacuum cleaner.

p.s. Perhaps I'm over cautious since my network was hacked some time ago.

Edited by longedge (Thu 13-Jun-19 20:08:06)

Standard User gostak
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-19 20:23:41
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

This is what their wesbite says:

Why connect to Wi-Fi?

By connecting to Wi-Fi your home charger can offer:

Remote diagnostics, remote support issue resolution.
“Over the Air” software updates.
Energy usage reporting and associated features.
Access to new smart features as they become available in the Pod Point App.

So I can probably manage perfectly well without it, and may avoid yet more surveillance!

I can possibly use my phone hotspot for occasional interactions.

However, I would still like to know if there is a solution, as I am thinking of installing a security camera which I might want to contact via the internet (more external surveillance???)

Thanks for you input

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Jun-19 20:29:33
Print Post

If it is a system that needs constant monitoring over the internet to monitor and resolve problems then perhaps the company would do better to design and build a more robust system?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User longedge
(committed) Thu 13-Jun-19 20:31:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by gostak:
I am thinking of installing a security camera which I might want to contact via the internet (more external surveillance???)

Definitely. My NVR + 3 cameras and/or a single IP Camera were major suspects. They're no longer connected to my LAN, the NVR creates it's own network.
Standard User gostak
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-19 20:54:26
Print Post

Re: Protect LAN connection *DELETED*

Post deleted by gostak
Standard User gostak
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-19 21:02:58
Print Post

So what you both saying is that I should not link either my charger or my security camera to the internet. I will have to think about that.

There is an advantage in having the security camera recording being held away from the camera. On the other hand, we don't actually have any major security issues.

But I would still like to know if it is possible to have security protection on the LAN connection. I may find a use for it that doesn't involve Big Brother stealing my life!!

But thanks again for helping.
Standard User gostak
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-19 21:04:27
Print Post

PS. I can already monitor the charge status of the battery from my phone which means they are already watching me
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Thu 13-Jun-19 21:23:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by gostak:
There is an advantage in having the security camera recording being held away from the camera.

Definitely. My cameras are connected to the NVR by (hidden) ethernet and that's where recordings are held. The cameras are outside and the NVR is in my 'den'. Burglar Bill would have to break in to the house in the full glare of 8 p.i.r. floodlights with alarms ringing and then search the house to find it 8^)
Standard User gostak
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-19 21:30:15
Print Post

I need to learn about NVRs then. Perhaps over specified for what I need!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to