User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Jul-18 09:51:12
Print Post

Re: Slow Single Thread Speed

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

The Sky Q hub is still a relatively rare beast, but nothing in the speed test suggests a wide spread issue on this, unless other providers have similar issues.

Most ISP just ignore single thread testing unless you can show it is impacting on a particular service e.g. Sky 4K on demand over IP is not working when multi thread speeds say it should

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Jul-18 10:26:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I had a quick browse on the Sky User Forum and can't see anything obvious on there and if it was a widespread issue with the router you would expect to see it there.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 18-Jul-18 16:08:20
Print Post

I expect most of sky's userbase is not that internet literate, single threaded speeds in excess of 20mbit/sec is not going to break any mainstream services I am aware off and hence a lack of possible complaints.

It could be a few things causing this but as usual trying to diagnose remote on a forum with no access to the equipment is very difficult.

All we have to go on is this.

The problem did not exist on the old ISP
It exists regardless of time of day.
Swapping like for like hardware didnt work to fix it.

If you have e.g. RWIN issues and your latency is higher on sky, then you could be RTT bottlenecked. Do you have a/v software active when running tests, there is things to try, just I am lacking motivation to go through all possibilities.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User _Resonance_
(member) Wed 18-Jul-18 20:39:53
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Hi Chrysalis, Many thanks for the reply and suggestion about a/v.

I only have windows defender and Malwarebytes on the machine. Disabling both didn't make any difference unfortunately.

Latency is about the same. I just pinged bbc.co.uk and it was 21ms.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Jul-18 23:24:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sky 4K on demand would work, if you analyse traffic flow the single thread speed increases where required for activities e.g. streaming.

It is very noticeable on 4K / 8K YouTube video streams on the advanced stats, where the connection speed initially shows around 20Mbps and as the video plays suddenly it bounces right up every-time as the system kicks in.

All I am able to comment is I had Sky at 2 different properties, in different areas, on different exchanges, on the Q hub my single thread behaved this way. On a netgear D6400 single thread was full speeds.

There is talk of this on Sky Forums, not commonly covered but I have reviewed stuff there previously. On 80Mbps it is around 55 to 60Mbps single thread.

It is by design and in reality has limited notable impact. I would argue it improves the overall experience for the majority where multiple activities can perform simultaneously with very little impact on one another.
(member) Thu 19-Jul-18 10:41:03
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi ukhardy07, thanks for the reply. Just seems a strange system to me, because it means if I want to download a file, the max it runs at is 3MB (usually less), about 24Mb. I obviously want things to download as fast as possible. This even happens if there is only one device (my PC) connected to the hub.

You don't happen to remember where to find the advanced stats you mentioned do you? Have looked in the hubs config pages (192.168.0.1) and can't see anything related to the speed of internet traffic.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jul-18 10:54:17
Print Post

I think you'll find the advanced stats referred to are on the video streaming service rather than on the router (but I could be mistaken).
(member) Thu 26-Jul-18 17:26:27
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ah, thanks Ian, that would explain it.

Well, the issue has now been passed to the Sky network team. Customer Service's thinking is it's a network problem after going through all the usual tests with me. I'll update here if there's any progress.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to