User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Jun-19 13:47:01
Print Post

Re: Is Sky Broadband Superfast the same as Sky Fibre Max ?

[re: Fido] [link to this post]

According to the Codelook website your entire exchange is Huawei DSLAM's.

Your original DSLAM (a Huawei) was installed in 2010 and a 2nd DSLAM was installed at a later date.
The 2nd DSLAM will also be a Huawei.

Take a walk to your local green PCP cabinet and some point. It should have 2 fibre cabinets within close proximity.
Compare the 2 fibre cabinets to the pictures on the page I linked in my earlier post.

Both the Huawei DSLAM's should have G.INP as every Huawei DSLAM has it.

It's possible the drop in attainable is because 1 DSLAM is much busier so there's much more crosstalk in the tie pairs.
It could also be that you've been moved to the DSLAM that is much further away from the PCP.

DSLAM's can be right next to the PCP but they can also be up to 100m away. The further away they are the lower your line is likely to sync.

Getting the ISP to get OpenReach to change the DSLAM isn't possible.
If you are below the minimum guaranteed line rate you could request a port swap but AFAIK* there's no way in the system to request a specific port on a specific DSLAM.
The system could automatically allocate you a port on the same DSLAM.

*AFAIK - I tried getting OpenReach to change me from an ECI DSLAM to a Huawei DSLAM back in January 2017 and was told that wasn't an option in the system.
I had to cease my line and reorder FTTC to get on the Huawei cabinet.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 04-Jun-19 13:48:01)

Standard User Fido
(committed) Tue 04-Jun-19 16:55:23
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Take a walk to your local green PCP cabinet and some point. It should have 2 fibre cabinets within close proximity.
Compare the 2 fibre cabinets to the pictures on the page I linked in my earlier post.

Both the Huawei DSLAM's should have G.INP as every Huawei DSLAM has it.

John83,

Thankyou ever so much for your checking and for your thorough and extremely helpful replies.

As you advised; I did travel to the local BT PCP Cabinet, (which has another half BT PCP Cabinet stuck to the side of it with the same cabinet number on both): I could only see one FTTC Cabinet which was within 15 feet of the BT PCP Cabinet/s and that looks like the Huawei 288 FTTC Fibre Cabinet that was pictured in the link you attached. - (Could both Deslams be in this one FTTC Cabinet).

Therefore, if they are all Huawei Deslams, perhaps the Openreach Engineer meant that the Deslam that he moved me to had a defective/disabled G.INP feature. - I Don't know.

Perhaps, the line profile reset request before lots of additional testing and changes were needed to carry out his repair mess up the profile of the line and with regard to the Max Rate, perhaps, that will increase with time? - If the line profile becomes messed up, (during the 10 day training period),would that require an Engineer Reset/a change of ISP or would it get to Fastpath and a higher Max Rate in the next few months or should it get to Fastpath and a higher Max rate Automatically?

Since Sky Broadband Superfast and Sky Fibre Max are considered to be the same I have no real beef with not being changed to Sky Fibre Max if it is only a product name change and as far as Sky is concerned; I will see how it goes over the next month and I will probably just stay with Sky for the foreseeable future as they are as good as any other ISP that I have been with and most of the issues seem to be down to Openreach.

Regards,
Fido

Sky Fibre
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jun-19 10:22:54
Print Post

What is the "10 day training" you mention?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fido
(committed) Wed 05-Jun-19 12:40:54
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
What is the "10 day training" you mention?

It could be a throwback from ADSL but the theory is that you should leave the connection alone for a 10 day period, especially after a profile reset, as it messes up the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) for the line.

Some say that it is not relevant as the DLM probably resets every few days but the Openreach Engineers etc. still refer to a 10 day training period.

Therefore, I have a policy of not to changing/rebooting routers or resetting the router within a 10 day period as I have noticed that it reduces the speed and it probably also changes from fastpath to interleaved as the pings, latency and browsing experience deteriorates.

If that is not the case I would be happy to know that it was unnecessary.

Sky Fibre
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jun-19 13:22:32
Print Post

There is no training period on FTTC.

DLM will monitor the connection on day 1 the same way it will on day 101.
Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 06-Jun-19 20:08:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Sky Broadband Superfast is a merger of the old two products one of which was Sky Fibre Max and thus covers the

40/10
55/10 and
80/20 FTTC products

The change has mainly being just a name change, and possibly some policy changes in what they offer to customers, but the underlying 40/10 and 80/20 services remain the same....

Most of that is correct but I have managed to get some more information from Sky for my own line and that may not be the whole story.

Under my present product, (ie. Sky Fibre Unlimited), I am presently capped at 40/10 mbps. (simple and easy to understand). - I presently sync at 40 mbps and get up to 38 mbps down with a minimum guaranteed speed of about 32 mbps. but under Sky Broadband Superfast my guaranteed speed would be reduced by 50% and my line would be capped to 37 mbps.

As you indicated; Sky Broadband Superfast does come in three speed levels, (under the same product title and at the same recommended cost to the customer).

Apparently, the speed level allocated to each customer depends on the capacity of the local exchange and line target speeds supplied by Openreach to Sky. - For my line the down speed levels for level 1 is between 24 mbps and 37 mbps.; level 2 is between approximately 40 mbps and 50 mbps and Level 3 is between 50 mbps and 80 mbps.- Therefore, in my case under Sky Broadband Superfast my line speed would be reduced as I would effectively be locked into Level 1 which would give speeds between 24 mbps and 37 mbps and would give a lower guaranteed speed of 24 mbps which is about a 50% reduction on the present guaranteed speed and a lower upper sync cap. - What's the point in that?

Since I am being denied access to the Sky Fibre Max, that was promised; If I do decide to stay with Sky it seems that I am better off staying with Sky Fibre Unlimited than I would be changing to Sky Broadband Superfast because it would be more that a mere name change. - It would potentially be a speed reduction.

Sky Fibre
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Jun-19 21:19:21
Print Post

The differences are down to how Sky is interpreting the estimated speeds and then applying their correct for peak time speeds, i.e. following the rules.

Signing up for a new service, even if still the same underlying open reach product means they'll be telling you the new speeds that they sell at.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jun-19 21:54:05
Print Post

Apparently, the speed level allocated to each customer depends on the capacity of the local exchange and line target speeds supplied by Openreach to Sky

It will be based entirely on the estimates.

I can't see a situation where someone with a very short line and estimates to get the full 80Mb is placed on 40/10 because of Sky's exchange capacity.
I can't see them doing that for any customer not just the example above.

There are far better ways to manage traffic on congested exchanges.
Standard User Apophis
(regular) Thu 18-Jul-19 21:22:14
Print Post

Without hijacking this thread, this is very similar to the situation I am in, although I did get the upgrade as promised!

Back in February, my Sky Fibre Unlimited was upgraded for free to Sky Fibre Max and my 40mbps connection increased to nearer 63mbps and has been ever since. Fast forward to two weeks ago when I contacted Sky to negotiate a better deal on my monthly subscription. The guy I spoke to said "we will move you across to our new Sky Superfast" - I asked if this was just a name change and nothing will change with my service, he confirmed so. He did read out that my estimated speed will be around 35-40mbps, which I immediately challenged and said I get far more than that now on Sky Fibre Max - he said nothing would change and that's effectively my minimum guaranteed speed. I was happy as confirmed several times my overall package was not changing and all I am doing in reality is reducing my monthly bill.

However - when this went through, immediately, my speed dropped and am now only getting 38mbps on average, never going much above that and the Sky Hub connects at 39999 Down / 9999 up.

Me, being rather annoyed at this point rang Sky, got nowhere, and raised a complaint that I was mislead by the advisor. They now say Sky Fibre Max is no longer available and if I want to keep the faster speed i need Sky Fibre Pro which will cost me £20pm more! (I know Sky Fibre Pro isn't available anymore and was rebranded as Sky Fibre Max some time ago, so that's clearly a load of old cobblers). I have escalated it further and am awaiting a call back.

When I go to BT's site, the estimated speed for my line is 63mbps, so clearly my line is capable of the speed I was getting .. I know it's capable of that, as i was getting it until I spoke to the person at Sky! How my speed can drop to pre Max levels, virtually overnight after I'd made this call, cannot be just a coincidence and must be related to something they've done. I see no reason why simply moving me from one package to another would require an engineer to do something at the cabinet, and surely is just an internal admin process!

Edited by Apophis (Thu 18-Jul-19 22:49:38)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Jul-19 22:58:52
Print Post

[re: Apophis] [link to this post]

Can you copy your speed estimates from here using the address checker NOT post code.

E.g. mine
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 67 20 19 60 Available Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 61.9 20 19 55 Available Available
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to