User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Thu 22-Aug-19 15:42:36
Print Post

Re: AP for useless SKY Wifi

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
Forgive me. I didnít overlook it, I ignored it as I wrongly assumed that Scottish law didnít apply in the French Riviera. Do you know if this will change after Brexit?

Well this is a UK web site. I would further point out that all new builds in over a decade have required mains powered interlinked smoke detectors in the whole of the UK. Further a rewire or significant building works (aka an extension) would also require them to be retrofitted. The point was that ceiling mounted "smoke detector" like devices are mandatory in a very high percentage of homes in the UK so a couple extra is like I said meh.

Finally a quick Google tells me that the law in France requires that all residential properties must be fitted with at least one smoke detector since 8th March 2015. So again if you don't like the aesthetics you are screwed in French Riviera.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Aug-19 20:14:38
Print Post

Re: AP for useless SKY Wifi

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Well this is a UK web site.
Precisely. Not a Scottish one.
Finally a quick Google tells me that the law in France requires that all residential properties must be fitted with at least one smoke detector since 8th March 2015.
You are correct.
So again if you don't like the aesthetics you are screwed in French Riviera.
Not exactly.

You haven't figured into your reckoning they way they do things in France (I'd recommend reading Peter Mayle's excellent 'A Year in Provence' which is still very relevant today).

I've not seen a single smoke detector in any of the properties I've installed wi-fi at in France (nor any I haven't). French law states that one detector must be installed per floor of a building - so you can have them in corridors rather than the main rooms, meaning that acceptable aesthetics can be maintaned.

Having said that, I haven't even seen one on a corridor either. You see, the French dealt with making smoke detectors compulsory the same way they dealt with making breathalyzers compulsory; it's illegal not to have one, but there is zero penalty written into law if you don't have one. Consequently, the law gets completely ignored with impunity.

Smoke detectors are a bit of a red herring though as they're not my department. What matters to me is making sure folks get reliable wi-fi wherever they want it, and I do take into account their aesthetic wishes. The customer, after all, is always right smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Fri 23-Aug-19 20:42:25)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to