User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jamie543
(regular) Tue 27-Oct-20 22:37:00
Print Post

Sky Ultrafast being installed tomorrow

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have Sky Ultrafast being installed tomorrow Openreach should be with me after lunchtime they have already ran the cable to the outside of my property and fitted an outside coveringa week or so ago. I wanted to know if anyone else had any one else has had this installed and what the performance was like i currently get the following speeds from sky
Connection Speed (Kbps) 66928 20000

Main reason for upgrading is due having 2 consoles 3 desktops and 2 laptops connected my speeds can drop a fair bit and im hoping that being on FTTP will make the connection a bit more stable as i sometimes get random disconnects on my FTTC connection.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Oct-20 13:40:32
Print Post

Re: Sky Ultrafast being installed tomorrow

[re: jamie543] [link to this post]

If the random disconnects are actually VDSL2 resents then yes those will go away. Blips in a providers network away from the local phone network can still cause issues.

Sounds like FTTP and presume you've ordered the 160 Mbps down , 30 Mbps up product, in which case should see those sort of speeds - might dip at peak times if ISP is very busy in area.

A console doing a big download will still saturate a 160 Mbps connection fairly easily, but that will be for a shorter time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Oct-20 15:11:16
Print Post

I wouldn't hold much hope out with gfast if your connection is 66928 20000 with VDSL.

Connection Speed 119293 kbps 12955 kbps
Line Attenuation D1(44.4 dB) , D2(0.0 dB) , D3(0.0 dB) U0(0.0 dB) , U1(0.0 dB) , U2(0.0 dB)
Noise Margin 3.1 dB 3.1 dB
Sky Q Hub Sky G.fast 360 meters
My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Wed 28-Oct-20 15:18:46
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lockyatlrg:
I wouldn't hold much hope out with gfast if your connection is 66928 20000 with VDSL.

The OP clearly mentions he’s getting Sky FTTP so nothing to do with g.fast.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jamie543
(member) Wed 28-Oct-20 17:20:39
Print Post

it has now been installed

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-20 19:26:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by jamie543:
it has now been installed

My Broadband Speed Test

Nice one. Does Sky FTTP 160/30 available in my area as I think Sky network do cover my area?

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User jamie543
(member) Wed 28-Oct-20 21:36:32
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

You can check on https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband it will list sky if its available. When i tried to order they said wasn't available then like 3 days later when i checked again it was showing as available so i placed the order and got my bill reduced from £57 to £35 which i am really pleased about

Edited by jamie543 (Wed 28-Oct-20 21:37:12)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Oct-20 09:03:34
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I thought you only had G.Fast available not FTTP - otherwise you would have just ordered FTTP a couple of weeks ago when you said you ordered (then cancelled) G.Fast?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Oct-20 10:28:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by jamie543:
You can check on https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband it will list sky if its available. When i tried to order they said wasn't available then like 3 days later when i checked again it was showing as available so i placed the order and got my bill reduced from £57 to £35 which i am really pleased about

He's asking about Sky Ultrafast (the G.Fast variety). Sky will appear as a provider on the OpenReach site even if they don't cover your area.

The OpenReach site lists ALL FTTP ISP's who sell over the OpenReach network and isn't a tailored list based on any specific line.

A check with the individual ISP needs to be run.

A good example is Vodafone and Talktalk appear to anyone with FTTP despite Vodafone only selling it in a couple specific regions and Talktalk are doing a phased rollout that's nowhere near complete.
Neither is available to me but OpenReach show booth.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 29-Oct-20 10:31:11)

Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Oct-20 17:21:13
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes that right but I just want FTTP

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to