User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User risk_reversal
(experienced) Tue 01-Dec-20 00:26:01
Print Post

Replacing ER110

[link to this post]

Wonder if someone can please shed some light on this as I have no experience with Sky broadband.

My daughter is sharing a flat. They have a Sky ER110. I have logged into the unit and it would appears that they have ADSL2+ (not fibre) as the router is synched at 13,000 / 800.

This unit seems very poor and I wanted to replace it with a third party router.

I understand that the TP Link W9970 will work from having read some comments.

1. Could someone confirm that the W9970 works with Sky.

2. I would also need to configure the W9970 which would require the ADSL username and password. Can one call Sky to get these details? Have tried googling this and can't find any answer apart from some talk of DHCP option 61. Which I don't understand.

Sorry to ask such basic questions but have always bought and configured my own router and have no experience whatsoever with the likes of Sky, Virgin, etc

Many thanks for any info provided
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Dec-20 09:48:17
Print Post

Re: Replacing ER110

[re: risk_reversal] [link to this post]

Unit is poor - in what way?

The TP Link W9970 is just 802.11n in terms of wireless so positively archaic in terms of wireless connectivity, but has a solid DSL chipset

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 01-Dec-20 10:52:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Unit is poor - in what way?

The TP Link W9970 is just 802.11n in terms of wireless so positively archaic in terms of wireless connectivity, but has a solid DSL chipset

I'd ask the same question too as I thought the Now Broadband router (which i believe is the same as this) was fine from a signal point of view (4 bedroom detached with resilient bars in ceiling).

The only gripe I had with it was that every so often phones connected to it would not react (even though showing full signal) and the wifi of the phones had to be turned off then back on. Also, 2 LAN ports it's a bit stingy.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Dec-20 13:48:13
Print Post

What are you trying to improve? If it’s WiFi signal sky can supply a booster usually (but there may be a cost) they can also be had on eBay just lookup sky q booster. The router itself is not bad it’s one of the latest wireless standards, much better than the router you linked which is wireless N, it’s AC1600 I believe.

This device would have the same WiFi standard:
ROUTEUR TP-LINK AC1600 VDSL2 MODEM ROUTER V2.0 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K7BO3KE/ref=cm_sw_r_c...

The one you linked is much worse wireless standard, by a long shot. It doesn’t even support the 5Ghz band.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 01-Dec-20 13:49:07)

(experienced) Tue 01-Dec-20 14:22:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
What are you trying to improve? If it’s WiFi signal sky can supply a booster usually (but there may be a cost) they can also be had on eBay just lookup sky q booster. The router itself is not bad it’s one of the latest wireless standards, much better than the router you linked which is wireless N, it’s AC1600 I believe.

The one you linked is much worse wireless standard, by a long shot. It doesn’t even support the 5Ghz band.

Yes, I know that the W9970 has poor / old wifi. I was only going to use it because, as MrSaffron said, it as a solid DSL modem. I would use a separate WAP.

I use the W9970 + separate Netgear wap at my home and it's a great combo on my lowly 40/10 fibre broadband.

I think that ER110 has too many clients attached to it and from my reading it appears that it just can't handle it and I believe this is causing problems.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Dec-20 22:20:22
Print Post

What issues are you actually seeing?

The ER110 is used by many households with 4+ sky boxes and 3 of them are broadcasting live TV in HD / 4K streams completely over WiFi.

Plenty of users with 30+ devices on this router without any issues, as evidenced by people who have upgraded to sky’s latest router and now have issues (as this latest device does genuinely have a problem with too many devices connected). On the forums we are seeing users with entire smart homes who had no issues on the ER110 and ER115.

It’s not a poor piece of kit in general so we would need more detail on the nature of the problems faced. It could easily be down to the limited upload of ADSL and the sheer number of users sending requests out is saturating the uplink, which in turn delays the down link. You have to get a request out, for data to come back.

A single FaceTime would saturate the upload a fair amount and would result in poor download.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 01-Dec-20 22:21:21)

(experienced) Wed 02-Dec-20 10:28:13
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

What issues are you actually seeing?

Well for starters, when I tried to connect my laptop via ethernet cable to the ER110, it took ages get an IP address assigned.

It could easily be down to the limited upload of ADSL and the sheer number of users sending requests out is saturating the uplink, which in turn delays the down link. You have to get a request out, for data to come back.

A single FaceTime would saturate the upload a fair amount and would result in poor download.

I wholly agree that the adsl connection with poor upload speed (1Mbps) is going to cause issues, hence why I asked my daughter to get a fibre upgrade asap as there are three people sharing that house.

That property also has Sky TV. They have a ES130 box. I have been trying to understand a little bit about it and from my reading it can apparently share TV over wifi, albeit that from my understanding that would require Sky Q mini boxes to receive a the TV signal. Is that correct?

Many thanks for your kind help
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Dec-20 10:43:55
Print Post

So the sky Q box is also acting as a WiFi extender in this case.

You should not install your own equipment as it will break the sky Q mesh and render the sky box only able to use 2.4GHz (not a good idea), it will also mean the wireless booster stops functioning in the box, to replace this you would need an equally rated AC booster. Without it, there’s possibility the signal would be weaker in parts of the house which may result in complaints.

IP addresses do take a little longer to allocate than some other routers, but usually only the first time a device connects.

To put things into perspective, I have an ER115 I’m using currently with 33 devices connected and sky boxes doing channel transmission wirelessly for multi room. I run a time capsule connected to a WiFi adapter and it gets over 300Mbps transmission on wireless despite my connected devices. I also have another isp router directly next to the sky hub and it’s on the same wireless channels, so this is with interference. Left them on AUTO and of course they both choose 36 smile

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 02-Dec-20 10:44:50)

(experienced) Thu 03-Dec-20 10:33:42
Print Post

The set up that I have seen is, ES130 (Big box) adjacent and connected to the TV in the living room and ER110 (same room, different location) which is the router (has the telephone cable in it connected to the telephone socket).

So you are saying that the ES130 is an extender / mesh to the ER110's wifi? Correct?

Apologies but Sky, much like Apple computers are totally alien technologies to me

Edited by risk_reversal (Thu 03-Dec-20 10:35:07)

Standard User severedsolo
(newbie) Thu 03-Dec-20 11:45:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by risk_reversal:

The set up that I have seen is, ES130 (Big box) adjacent and connected to the TV in the living room and ER110 (same room, different location) which is the router (has the telephone cable in it connected to the telephone socket).

So you are saying that the ES130 is an extender / mesh to the ER110's wifi? Correct?

Apologies but Sky, much like Apple computers are totally alien technologies to me

Yes, the Sky Q boxes (and any mini boxes used for multi-room if applicable) act as extenders to the 5Ghz network/mesh. One of the things that Sky are supposed to do when they install Q is to check that every box can reach the mesh and install boosters if needed. Sky also sell boosters that are compatible with the mesh network I believe.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Dec-20 13:40:05
Print Post

Yep so the only way that TV box can connect to sky broadband over 5GHz is using a sky Q hub or SR203. If you replace the router it will fall back to 2.4GHz which may be quite slow. It will also stop acting as a wireless repeater, which will mean all the devices connecting in will hit the main router, whereas now the mesh will dynamically spread devices between the Q TV Box and Q Router so a single AP isn’t hosting all the devices.

I suspect the issues purely down to the upload, Sky Q does dynamically allocate bandwidth to ensure TV functionality so it has president for the download/upload. You often find Speedtest of around 25 down (on 38 meg fibre) and 55 down (on 76 meg fibre) when the tv box is in use especially when using on demand or downloading. This is deliberate and it’s the mesh system holding back the bandwidth for the TV to always function as expected.

It could be that the ADSL speed is being in part held back to ensure tv functionality, and on ADSL that won’t leave you a whole bunch available for all those students. At the speeds of ADSL I can imagine the connection being quite all over the place as the tv is trying to maintain priority and bandwidth. It’s odd that sky have given them ADSL with sky Q, they usually really push for fibre. In fact only a couple of years back you couldn’t get sky Q installed on ADSL due to the service impact being too large.

EDIT: to put things into perspective a 2 hour TV show on my sky Q box is 10.3GB. If that was being downloaded it would get priority so I’d expect everything else to be slower on ADSL. The box maintains the priority to ensure you can watch it right away, and it continues to download fast enough that the programme doesn’t pause. The box will also download the next episode so it’s ready and waiting, so you would have a 10.3GB download + another for the next episode, so just firing up that one episode would be 20.6GB downloading taking priority.

That’s going to affect your experience for a while, for sure. On fibre there’s enough bandwidth going around that the impact isn’t really noticed in day to day usage.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 03-Dec-20 13:48:53)

Standard User danielhyde
(member) Thu 03-Dec-20 14:17:04
Print Post

Yep so the only way that TV box can connect to sky broadband over 5GHz is using a sky Q hub or SR203. If you replace the router it will fall back to 2.4GHz which may be quite slow. It will also stop acting as a wireless repeater, which will mean all the devices connecting in will hit the main router, whereas now the mesh will dynamically spread devices between the Q TV Box and Q Router so a single AP isn’t hosting all the devices.

I suspect the issues purely down to the upload, Sky Q does dynamically allocate bandwidth to ensure TV functionality so it has president for the download/upload. You often find Speedtest of around 25 down (on 38 meg fibre) and 55 down (on 76 meg fibre) when the tv box is in use especially when using on demand or downloading. This is deliberate and it’s the mesh system holding back the bandwidth for the TV to always function as expected.

It could be that the ADSL speed is being in part held back to ensure tv functionality, and on ADSL that won’t leave you a whole bunch available for all those students. At the speeds of ADSL I can imagine the connection being quite all over the place as the tv is trying to maintain priority and bandwidth. It’s odd that sky have given them ADSL with sky Q, they usually really push for fibre. In fact only a couple of years back you couldn’t get sky Q installed on ADSL due to the service impact being too large.

EDIT: to put things into perspective a 2 hour TV show on my sky Q box is 10.3GB. If that was being downloaded it would get priority so I’d expect everything else to be slower on ADSL. The box maintains the priority to ensure you can watch it right away, and it continues to download fast enough that the programme doesn’t pause. The box will also download the next episode so it’s ready and waiting, so you would have a 10.3GB download + another for the next episode, so just firing up that one episode would be 20.6GB downloading taking priority.

That’s going to affect your experience for a while, for sure. On fibre there’s enough bandwidth going around that the impact isn’t really noticed in day to day usage.

That's actually not correct, at my old house where I had Sky Q and used my own router and the Main Sky Q box connected to my 5GHz Wi-Fi with no issues.
The Mini boxes connect directly back to the Main box with their own Wi-Fi that doesn't go through the router.
The issues I had were the Mini boxes were too far away from the Main box to get a reliable connection so I ended up hardwiring them all to the router.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Dec-20 16:51:32
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Sky Q TV main box does not support 5GHz on devices which are not part of the Sky Q hardware. For instance if I am on BT I can only connect to the 2.4GHz network if using WiFi on the main tv box.

The mesh network (network between the extra boxes) will still use 5GHz over its own wireless network. The main box, will only communicate to the main router over 2.4GHz when sky q routers are not used. All other boxes will still be 5GHz over a link from main tv box to sky q minis. So it would go non sky Q router - main box (2.4GHz only) - mini boxes over 5GHz (using the mesh setup on the main Q TV box).

For that initial link to also be 5GHz it must be setup over WPS on sky hardware.

This is commonly documented, and I have in fact used my own hardware. If this is incorrect I would need to see how you managed this. 5GHz between the sky main tv box and Q mesh, is only activated when using WPS setup on the Q router and Q main TV box. Third party routers require you to use the second option when configuring.
(experienced) Thu 03-Dec-20 21:25:09
Print Post

Many thanks for your reply.

Well, my daughter has informed me that Sky will be upgrading their ADSL broadband connection to a Fibre one in about a week. I did ask which one but she did not know. So at least that should potentially resolve one problem and given your comments I will hold off on replacing the ER110.

Apologies for sounding so dense, my pc aptitude is reasonable as I build all my desktop pcs myself but I am a bit perplexed.

Are you saying that the ES130 is getting its TV feed from the ER110 ie via the broadband wirelessly. When I inspected the ES130 (connected to the telly), it had another cable connected into it which came from outside. I suspected (perhaps mistakenly) that that cable carried the TV signal...

Cheers

Edited by risk_reversal (Thu 03-Dec-20 21:26:10)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Dec-20 21:59:21
Print Post

Sky only has one fibre variety, they choose back end the most appropriate speed. If they can get full 80 meg they will get it. If they’re predicated around 55, then sky will choose that speed 55/10. They just do it automatically.

The sky Q mesh is a little confusing... Live TV comes from the satellite, to the main Q box. The mini boxes (eg second and third tv in a bedroom) don’t have the satellite feed. Instead they’re just a power plug and box. All live TV will go satellite - main Q box - over WiFi - mini boxes. So yes if you have multi room you can have multiple boxes (up to 4 total) with live tv going via the WiFi at the same time.

Of course, Sky Q isn’t just live TV. There is on demand stuff for most channels, eg I can watch entire box sets of content, I can see like every tv show broadcast recently on TLC, discovery, sky one, MTV, Fox, 4od, ITV etc. All of this content is downloaded and is several GB. It’s not your typical low quality ITVHub stream, you get the full quality type download. It will download it and only allow you to play it if your connections fast enough. Else you have to wait for it to download.

Then sky movies would also be downloadable, the box has Netflix built in, Disney plus and a bunch more.

I find most things broadcast on TV are downloadable, so I find myself missing the live broadcast and watch 75% of things “on demand” which is a download.

Usage on the WiFi gets quite heavy, when you consider I may be downloading a TV show at 10gb, whilst the other boxes are streaming HD/4K over WiFi from the main hub, all using WiFi. That’s quite the challenge to ensure the live TV on the mini boxes isn’t impacted.

Overall with fibre it works well for me.
(experienced) Fri 04-Dec-20 03:37:50
Print Post

That is most kind ukhardy07.

So to sum up.

1. The Sky box next to the tell, ES130, receives a tv feed only. If one has Sky mini boxes, the tv feed can be received in other rooms over wifi.

2. The ER110 receives just the broadband.

3. The ES130 and ER110 together create a mesh system

Have I finally understood it!

Cheers

Edited by risk_reversal (Fri 04-Dec-20 03:38:49)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Dec-20 11:04:53
Print Post

1. The Sky box next to the tell, ES130, receives a tv feed only (yes). It also gets on demand programmes over WiFi e.g. Netlflix, Disney Plus as well as downloadable content (several GB per hour) for channels such as ITV, Channel 4, Sky Cinema, FOX, Sky One, TLC, etc... Basically any catch up.

If one has Sky mini boxes, the tv feed can be received in other rooms over wifi. Yep, all mini boxes are WiFi only even for TV channels

2. The ER110 receives just the broadband. Yep, but it also becomes part of the overall mesh system e.g if you have Mini Boxes, satellite TV could route from ES130 - ER110 - Sky Q Mini Box (it will route however is best wifi signal wise)

3. The ES130 and ER110 together create a mesh system Exactly, and any Q TV boxes, Routers, Sky Q boosters etc

A word of caution, the new fibre router which may be sent, has issues with DHCP when connecting 15+ devices, if they have issues, they can use the ER110 still until the new box gets a firmware update.

If you fancy reading it, https://www.maravedis-bwa.com/2016/01/28/airties-can... - it is a bit outdated TBH, powerline no longer used at all. But it gives you an idea of the intent of the mesh.

Some cool features are bandsteering and beam forming also. The Q mesh also will block devices connecting into an access point far away, if they have a device closer which will yield a better signal. It will also move wifi users as they walk around the home between any device within the mesh, so they do not get stuck on a a poor signal when a stronger one exists on another mesh device.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 04-Dec-20 11:24:48)

Standard User danielhyde
(member) Fri 04-Dec-20 11:08:15
Print Post

That is most kind ukhardy07.

So to sum up.

1. The Sky box next to the tell, ES130, receives a tv feed only. If one has Sky mini boxes, the tv feed can be received in other rooms over wifi.

2. The ER110 receives just the broadband.

3. The ES130 and ER110 together create a mesh system

Cheers

This is a great map of how Sky Q works.
Map

Only the Main box (ES130) connects to the router.
The Mini boxes normally use a mesh Wi-Fi back to the Main box but can use powerline.
Also the Mini boxes act as Wi-Fi repeaters but all traffic is fed back through the Main box
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Dec-20 11:13:40
Print Post

This map is outdated, powerline was removed as it interferes with the same frequency as VDSL2+ on fibre... It caused too many drops and slower speeds, so sky dropped it. 100% WiFi only now.

It also doesn't factor in, if you have Sky broadband, with a Sky broadband router, your router becomes part of the mesh now. If you have broadband with another ISP e.g. TalkTalk or have sky broadband but use your own router (it wont be part of the mesh) and hence connects at 2.4GHz only, so the mesh has 5GHz to itself.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 04-Dec-20 11:14:45)

Standard User danielhyde
(member) Fri 04-Dec-20 11:13:49
Print Post

Sky Q TV main box does not support 5GHz on devices which are not part of the Sky Q hardware. For instance if I am on BT I can only connect to the 2.4GHz network if using WiFi on the main tv box.

The mesh network (network between the extra boxes) will still use 5GHz over its own wireless network. The main box, will only communicate to the main router over 2.4GHz when sky q routers are not used. All other boxes will still be 5GHz over a link from main tv box to sky q minis. So it would go non sky Q router - main box (2.4GHz only) - mini boxes over 5GHz (using the mesh setup on the main Q TV box).

For that initial link to also be 5GHz it must be setup over WPS on sky hardware.

This is commonly documented, and I have in fact used my own hardware. If this is incorrect I would need to see how you managed this. 5GHz between the sky main tv box and Q mesh, is only activated when using WPS setup on the Q router and Q main TV box. Third party routers require you to use the second option when configuring.

Sadly I am unable to replicate this as I no longer have Sky Q as I moved to an area with Virgin Media and it was cheaper and they could install sooner.
My network only ever has a 5GHz SSID visible the 2.4GHz SSID is hidden and only used for smart home devices, also I didn't have Sky broadband either
When the Sky engineer installed it I only provided him with the 5Ghz network and he set it up and did the WPS setup with the Mini boxes.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Dec-20 11:17:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by danielhyde:

Sadly I am unable to replicate this as I no longer have Sky Q as I moved to an area with Virgin Media and it was cheaper and they could install sooner.
My network only ever has a 5GHz SSID visible the 2.4GHz SSID is hidden and only used for smart home devices, also I didn't have Sky broadband either
When the Sky engineer installed it I only provided him with the 5Ghz network and he set it up and did the WPS setup with the Mini boxes.
How long ago was this - things were slightly different in the days Sky had powerline, although it was never recommended an engineer leveraged these (they often did though) which caused a bunch of issues when Sky went onto disable powerline for everyone.

Some users have managed to turn it back on, but not recommended as there's no support for it.

As it stands, as the 5GHz wifi is the only thing the mesh can use now, there's no way to add a third party router to that, as 5GHz is kept "clean" for the mesh comms, and 2.4GHz is "free" for non-mesh products. Back in the day, powerline could be a backup, but again, was never a recommended approach. Controls were less tight back then.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 04-Dec-20 11:19:19)

Standard User danielhyde
(member) Fri 04-Dec-20 12:34:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by danielhyde:

How long ago was this - things were slightly different in the days Sky had powerline, although it was never recommended an engineer leveraged these (they often did though) which caused a bunch of issues when Sky went onto disable powerline for everyone.

Some users have managed to turn it back on, but not recommended as there's no support for it.

As it stands, as the 5GHz wifi is the only thing the mesh can use now, there's no way to add a third party router to that, as 5GHz is kept "clean" for the mesh comms, and 2.4GHz is "free" for non-mesh products. Back in the day, powerline could be a backup, but again, was never a recommended approach. Controls were less tight back then.

I had it installed about a year and a half ago and moved a year after it was installed and as sky couldn't install at my new house for a month they let me out of the contract early.
(experienced) Fri 04-Dec-20 12:47:37
Print Post

1. The Sky box next to the tell, ES130, receives a tv feed only (yes). It also gets on demand programmes over WiFi e.g. Netlflix, Disney Plus as well as downloadable content (several GB per hour) for channels such as ITV, Channel 4, Sky Cinema, FOX, Sky One, TLC, etc... Basically any catch up.

If one has Sky mini boxes, the tv feed can be received in other rooms over wifi. Yep, all mini boxes are WiFi only even for TV channels

2. The ER110 receives just the broadband. Yep, but it also becomes part of the overall mesh system e.g if you have Mini Boxes, satellite TV could route from ES130 - ER110 - Sky Q Mini Box (it will route however is best wifi signal wise)

3. The ES130 and ER110 together create a mesh system Exactly, and any Q TV boxes, Routers, Sky Q boosters etc

Many thanks for explaining it clearly to me ukhardy07.

danielhyde thank you for your added comments.

Cheers to both smile
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Dec-20 13:35:09
Print Post

I use ethernet from router to Sky Q box.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(experienced) Fri 04-Dec-20 18:23:38
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:

Good to know that also. Cheers
Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Dec-20 09:36:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:

Good to know that also. Cheers

Ethernet is probably the recommended way to connect a Q box to a non-Sky router due to potential speed issues using the 2.4GHz band
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Dec-20 09:59:45
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Sky Q doesn’t link over 2.4GHz unless you don’t have a Q hub.
Sky’s mesh avoids those challenges.

If 5GHz doesn’t reach you get a booster or 2 as the case may be.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Dec-20 13:04:01
Print Post

"unless you don’t have a Q hub"

That's what Simon said.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Dec-20 14:34:50
Print Post