User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Feb-21 16:41:50
Print Post

Re: Sky FTTP - own router

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adrenalize_:
I'd probably get an Asus RT-AX86U or RT-AX58U and put Merlin firmware on it
Thanks, was very tempted until I read they would probably be superseded very quickly because of wifi 6E. Looking at these routers has made me decide that I will be buying an ASUS router in the near future smile
Standard User adrenalize_
(regular) Thu 11-Feb-21 21:13:58
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

The AX86U and AX58U only came out last year and I'd guess IMHO they will be supported for a few years yet, especially by Merlin. I think Asus only had the GT-AXE11000 on pre order recently, so you are looking probably the end of the year before anything 6e at a lower price point and depending upon the chipset whether Merlin will support them.

Unless your WiFi channels are very congested with neighbours on 5GHz in my opinion there won't be much benefit to WiFi 6e in the near future and obviously you actually need a few clients with 6e to make any benefit.

Depending upon the size of your property and co-channel interference from neighbours a well configured WiFi 5 network, maybe with some additional APs if large can often give a better result.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Feb-21 22:33:14
Print Post

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

OK, Thanks for share that info smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Feb-21 13:46:49
Print Post

Out the box Asus's do not support MER / Option 61 so yeah, you need to flash them with Merlin or similar.

My RT-AC68u which is getting on a bit now sits on 5Ghz CH100 and I generally get around 600Mbps over wifi upstairs. Pretty good really.

As Sky do not offer anything faster than 150 at the moment, i'll keep the RT-AC68u for a bit longer. Should they offer 900Mbps then i'll go with the Asus RT-AX86.

I have been using Asus routers for years and have personally found them to be incredibly stable and far better than the stuff the ISP's give you.

-

SkyUltrafast FTTP 150
Standard User bpurchase
(newbie) Sat 27-Mar-21 15:24:31
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

I successfully set up my new Asus AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin on my FTTP connection yesterday using the generic user password string and am so impressed - I am now getting my 'full' connection speed, no problems with general network traffic and a much-improved wifi signal.

I, however, have obviously lost the use of my landline phone. Whilst I rarely used it, I worry that our number has been out there for some time, and I may miss an important call. Has anyone successfully ported their number to another VOIP provider without losing service or managing to find their sky VoIP settings?
Standard User dect
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Mar-21 17:03:54
Print Post

[re: bpurchase] [link to this post]

Be careful not to trigger a cease of your broadband service when you move your number to a third party VOIP provider, I believe people in the know on this forum talk about a process called 'Renumber and port out" which allocates a new number to your existing service and moves your existing number to the third party VOIP provider. I don't know much about this but would suggest you seek more advise before you do anything.
Standard User bpurchase
(newbie) Sun 28-Mar-21 17:19:33
Print Post

That's what I hoping to avoid....hopefully somebody will have some experience or advice of this situation.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to