User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hothead17
(newbie) Sat 06-Mar-21 08:46:15
Print Post

Total loss of service

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I am currently suffering a total loss of service and something has puzzled me and making me think it could be a disconnected line at the exchange although I am probably wrong.

The Internet dropped and the router is showing voice and broadband orange so not working.

I also tried to call my line (since I don't have a phone to check for a dial tone) and to my surprise it doesn't even attempt to ring, Like it's been disconnected at the exchange as far as I know even if my line gets physically cut it will still ring at the exchange? Or is that inaccurate.

Thanks
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Mar-21 06:50:59
Print Post

Re: Total loss of service

[re: Hothead17] [link to this post]

Is this perhaps a SOGEA line ? All services via ‘the internet’.

Ring Sky, report it to them, they can run a remote test and arrange repair.

Standard User MercuryRH2
(learned) Sun 07-Mar-21 09:06:45
Print Post

Had a similar issue with OR a few months back. It was confirmed as an exchange fault. No dial tone or ability to call the number. OR engineer did tell me they were doing some work at the exchange at the time. Several neighbours also lost connections at random periods over about a week, with some down (like us) for several days. We all got compensation afterwards.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DougM
(committed) Sun 07-Mar-21 10:29:57
Print Post

The good news is that total loss of service is prioritised during lockdown. Report it to Sky and they’ll engage Openreach (odds are that you’re on an Openreach line, although Sky does have a few altnet areas).

I lost service a couple of weeks back, I reported it to my ISP and two Openreach engineers arrived first-thing the next morning. I was back online an hour later.

-==-
DougM
Standard User Hothead17
(newbie) Sun 07-Mar-21 17:58:38
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies guys.

Unfortunately it's not been prioritised for me as such. Reported on Thursday and still no engineer has been assigned to it

We will see what happens tomorrow
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Mar-21 21:45:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by DougM:
The good news is that total loss of service is prioritised during lockdown. Report it to Sky and they’ll engage Openreach (odds are that you’re on an Openreach line, although Sky does have a few altnet areas).

I lost service a couple of weeks back, I reported it to my ISP and two Openreach engineers arrived first-thing the next morning. I was back online an hour later.

Not sure what makes you think that, but standard repair times apply.

A fault reported on Thursday on a typical line is still within the fix time specified unless the line has a suitable level of enhanced care (and it probably does not)
Standard User DougM
(committed) Mon 08-Mar-21 06:58:21
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

See 7 on this page. Openreach is reducing the work they’re willing to do to keep their engineers safe, but specifically call-out total loss of service as something they’ll continue to address even inside the home:

https://www.openreach.com/coronavirus-engineers-work...

-==-
DougM
Standard User Hothead17
(newbie) Tue 09-Mar-21 10:53:33
Print Post

Well finally back online.

The cause was another engineer disconnected my line at the cab for some reason.
Standard User MercuryRH2
(learned) Tue 09-Mar-21 12:37:27
Print Post

Had that happen last year. Engineer came out to fix a line fault without telling us, got confused by the wiring, couldn’t get in the house so left not just the faulty line, but both lines disconnected. He also failed to report what he’d done. OR denied it until we pointed out the CCTV evidence we had clearly showed the incident. It was fixed the next day by an engineer who made a comment about having to follow newly qualified field techs about to fix what they had done!
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Mar-21 00:01:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by DougM:
See 7 on this page. Openreach is reducing the work they’re willing to do to keep their engineers safe, but specifically call-out total loss of service as something they’ll continue to address even inside the home:

https://www.openreach.com/coronavirus-engineers-work...

Right, but you've misunderstood - it isn't prioritised - it doesn't get done any faster than normal (unless they happen to have a spare engineer) - the repair times have not changed.

They're just prepared to enter a home to fix those sorts of things, whereas some new provides etc they'd suspended or delayed in some way.

Not quite the same as prioritised.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Mar-21 14:19:40
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

They haven't misunderstood.

You just took prioritized to mean time.

Doug was specifically referring to it not being subject to other restrictions that are in place during lockdown.
He made no mention of timescales.

I would agree that OpenReach are treating loss of service as a priority over other faults, like a drop in speed.
It doesn't mean they will be quicker than usual, but that they haven't completely suspended visits.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Mar-21 01:37:44
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Openreach have deprioritised other things, they have not increased the priority - eg they have not prioritised repairs.

They have no better or worse a priority than before the pandemic.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to