User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User steve99999
(regular) Fri 12-Mar-21 12:47:51
Print Post

Trying to leave Sky. Receiving error non BT line

[link to this post]

Last year i joined Sky with the digital call package
In the past week i have tried to leave sky and join Nowtv / Plusnet / Vodafone and SSE

All give me an error saying i do not have a working telephone number / line and thus i do not have a working line to take over!

I have called nowtv and they say sorry we are getting this error our end. Saying you do not have a working line. I point out i am phoning them from the line!
Called sky a few times and they say there are no errors showing up on their system and you should be able to leave no problem

When i tried to join plusnet i received the below error

We've been unable to place the order for your phone service.

Our support team will look to resolve this. You don't need to do anything.

[internal note]
System unable to place wlr3 order. Details are:

Order type: Transfer
Error message:
Caused by ProvidePstnAction with parameters telephoneNumber - **********, orderReference - null.
Error Message : Telephone number is not a working line. This indicates either the line has ceased or it has been exported to another operator (e.g. Virgin Media).

Now vodafone i can get through the signup but then it says i will need a new line installed. Same thing for SSE broadband

I can only think all these problems are because sky changed my line to a digital calls line?

Anyway got any ideas how get round this? I was thinking are just fully cancelling my sky service. Maybe this will reset the problem?

I really wanted to go to Nowtv because of the short contract and current cashback etc

Thanks!
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Mar-21 13:22:44
Print Post

Re: Trying to leave Sky. Receiving error non BT line

[re: steve99999] [link to this post]

Migrating a landline number that is provided by VOIP (SOGEA) isn't always an easy task.

I've come across the exact same issue with Sky and there was nothing they could do. The number could not be migrated to any other provider.
The only solution was to migrate the number to a 3rd party VOIP provider and even that faced a number of challenges.

BT suffer the same problems with some customers on their Digital Voice (VOIP) where customers are unable to migrate the number and broadband to another provider.

Good luck, I feel you may need it.
Would be good if you could return and post if you get a resolution to this.
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Fri 12-Mar-21 13:37:13
Print Post

[re: steve99999] [link to this post]

The issues you are experiencing are caused by your switch to digital voice.
It means that your number is no longer linked to the physical line you have the broadband on.
As suggested by the other reply you can migrate the number to 3rd party digital voice service ( VOIP) then request a SoGEA connection from a new provider which can be transferred from Sky

Thanks
Dan

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Mar-21 13:47:32
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Presumably under this circumstance the order would need to be raised based on the address rather than the phone number as the number is no longer a defining characteristic of the wholesale line? But, if they didn't sort a VoIP migration then the phone number probably would be lost on doing the move using address as it would disappear into Sky's systems.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Mar-21 13:48:08
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Migrating a landline number that is provided by VOIP (SOGEA) isn't always an easy task.

Very disappointing that Ofcom, Openreach or whoever didn't implement a reliable migration system for SOGEA before launch.

Oliver.
Standard User steve99999
(regular) Fri 12-Mar-21 14:38:20
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Many thanks for all the replies. Crazy that no one from sky said the problem could be because i have digital calls. One guy even said the transfer would be easier now because of the digital calls

Just a little confused about providers wanting to install a new line. Surely when they try to install they will notice i have a working phone line

Also does having digital calls affect line speed at all? I only ask because with BT i would receive 72-74mb. Switched to sky and the speed was 65mb and shortly after my upload speed dropped from 19mb to 14mb. And then in the past month (since sky upgraded the router firmware) my speed has dropped from 65mb to 60mb. All this with the price hikes!

And i guess there is no way i can switch back to normal calls with sky?
Standard User steve99999
(regular) Wed 17-Mar-21 13:23:48
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Just an update. Sky will be downgrading my service in the next 7 days to sky essential broadband. This will remove the voip from my line and thus i will be able to move over to another provider.
  Print Thread

Jump to