User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User investmentbanker
(newbie) Thu 14-Jan-10 14:37:18
Print Post

TalkTalk now automatically changes your telephone number???

[link to this post]

Hi, I do computer repair/installation for a living these days, and I just ran into a situation where a client (he's a charity case) got broadband for the first time. I called up TalkTalk and arranged the installation. My client (he's bedridden and has been watching TV all day for over a year) had a BT line in his flat. TalkTalk came out and installed the broadband router, but they changed the guy's telephone number. They kept the exchange the same - just changed the last four digits of his tel number. This irritates me (and my client). My understanding is that a telephone number change is only necessary if somebody has their telephone with their cable company. My client had a BT line. So I called up TalkTalk technical support on 0870-087-5703 and got some minimum wage guy named Joe McNaughton on the line who told me that "at the point of sale, if the customer does not specify that he wants to retain the same telephone number, TalkTalk will assign a new telephone number". I said, "WHAT?????" According to him, the customer has to KNOW to request it, otherwise TalkTalk will default to changing the customer's number. I then identified myself to the TalkTalk rep, told him I was the customer's computer repair guy (I'm giving the charity guy basically a free computer setup), and the minimum wage guy hit the ceiling about "Data Protection Act" and that I was committing a crime by impersonating the customer. He was very rude. I told him I had permission to do so, and if he wanted to confirm it, to call the customer direct on the new telephone number that TalkTalk had assigned him, and he would confirm it. The minimum wage guy then said that he wasn't even allowed to call out. I asked to speak to his supervisor - he wouldn't do it - and then said he was going to note in the account that somebody is calling in to impersonate the customer. Very very rude. I asked him why TalkTalk assigns a new tel number. He wouldn't respond (probably didn't know the answer, but his ego wouldn't let him state that).

My question: Is this what is happening now? Do other ISPs do this? Is this now the norm? And why are they doing this??? I need to know this, because this is my business, and I am often called upon to recommend ISPs to clients. Also, I have a good mind to have my charity client cancel his TalkTalk account and go with another ISP. Any good ideas for inexpensive ISPs??? I just chose TalkTalk because I know it is one of the less expensive ones out there - but this is ridiculous.

I should note that in TalkTalk's FAQ:

http://www.talktalk.ie/faq/faq.asp

under "Can I keep my existing telephone number?", it says you can keep your old telephone number, but it says nothing to the effect of "but you have to remember to tell the sales person at the time of the sale this".

I am really very disappointed with TalkTalk. I don't even know why they had to go out to the guy's house to begin with - after all, it already had a BT line in it.

Thanks in advance to anybody that knows the answer to this.
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-10 17:10:39
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk now automatically changes your telephone number

[re: investmentbanker] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by investmentbanker:
I then identified myself to the TalkTalk rep, told him I was the customer's computer repair guy (I'm giving the charity guy basically a free computer setup), and the minimum wage guy hit the ceiling about "Data Protection Act" and that I was committing a crime by impersonating the customer.

He may be on minimum wage but i bet he knows how to use paragraphs. wink
Standard User lenaspell
(member) Thu 14-Jan-10 18:00:40
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:
I then identified myself to the TalkTalk rep, told him I was the customer's computer repair guy (I'm giving the charity guy basically a free computer setup), and the minimum wage guy hit the ceiling about "Data Protection Act" and that I was committing a crime by impersonating the customer.

Ahh but you do have to make allowances as he is an investment banker wink

Len

Zen 8000 Active. Netgear DG834G Router.
Windows 7; Windows XP Pro SP3 and Mac Snow Leopard smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-10 18:13:25
Print Post

[re: lenaspell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lenaspell:

Ahh but you do have to make allowances as he is an investment banker wink

I think you made a typo, the B at the beginning of the last word should have been something else. grin
Standard User alpine
(regular) Thu 14-Jan-10 18:46:34
Print Post

I know 2 people who've moved to TT. Neither was asked about this, and in both cases the number remained the same.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-10 20:14:22
Print Post

Investment ranter?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg BB
Standard User iconuser
(member) Thu 14-Jan-10 21:30:11
Print Post

All rather odd, my telephone number remained the same when I switched to TallkTalk late last year.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Jan-10 16:42:48
Print Post

[re: iconuser] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iconuser:
All rather odd, my telephone number remained the same when I switched to TallkTalk late last year.

As did mine. wink
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Jan-10 16:43:41
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk now automatically changes your telephone number *DELETED*

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Jack_Hackett
Standard User TalkTalkBoy
(experienced) Sat 16-Jan-10 14:45:44
Print Post

Ive never heard of this apart from when TalkTalk are providing a totally new line.

I'd suggest contacting TalkTalk and reporting it as a crossed line fault as it may have been jumpered incorrectly within the exchange.

Do his bills have the correct phone number on it ?
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Tue 26-Jan-10 12:01:26
Print Post

Hi Investmentbanker,

TalkTalk do not issue new telephone numbers nor do we send an engineer for anything other than a new line instalation. It sounds to me as if you have called the new line instalations team to set up the service for your friend rather than a migration of a service from another provider. Migrations from another provider on an active line do not result in a new telephone number being allocated to a line.

The gent you have spoken to in customer services/technical support is right to not offer any account specific information to a none account holder. This is a breach of data protection law and if you have given the customers details during the account checks this is fraud. Discussing further details with you regarding the account would have serious implications for the advisor concerned. DPA breaches can result in a 5 year sentence and hefty fines for both yourself and the advisor therefore he was acting in your best interests. I would also recommend you avoid referring to tech support advisors as "some minimum wage guy" - you may find some believe this is offensive and insulting.

Cheers
Em x

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-10 13:12:07
Print Post

[re: TALKTALK_SUPPORT] [link to this post]

Em x,

You are clueless. I am Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - I did not make the mistake of migrating anything - I simply called 0800-049-1054 and requested new service (by the way, I told them I was the account holder - he had given me all of his personal information and gave me permission to do it (he doesn't even know how to hold a mouse - he started twiddling the rollerball on the bottom with his thumb until I told him he had to roll it around on a mousepad - he couldn't have ordered internet service with TalkTalk by himself - he doesn't even know what the internet is). All he ever had was BT telephone service. By the way, he is a charity case - my church asked me to set him up with the internet so that he can at least have something to do other than watch TV for the last year of his life while he is dying.

You are particularly clueless when you suggest that the TalkTalk rep was acting in my best interests, or that I was risking anything with what I did - I had permission from the account holder to do what I did - I could not have been prosecuted (it's laughable what you wrote). The problem is that YOUR rep CANNOT CALL OUT. LOL. Granted, I understand your rep's position when I finally told him that I was the account holder's computer technician. But do you have any idea why I did it that way??? Because I knew that the TalkTalk rep didn't have access or ability to dial out to confirm that I was acting on behalf of the account holder - thus if I had told hm from the get-go that I was not the account holder, he would have said, "I cannot talk to you, and I also cannot call the account holder to confirm that you act for him". Great. NOW do you know why I did it the way I did???

I guess I have to ask, "Why doesn't TalkTalk trust it's own employees with having an outgoing telephone on their desk???" In all my years of banking, every single employee, down to the lowest secretary - even the front desk clerk - had an outgoing telephone in front of them - and we never checked the register of calls they made.

Yes, it appears that my characterisation of the TalkTalk rep as a "minimum wage clerk" is apt and correct - appears to be spot-on given the way that we know that TalkTalk treats its reps, i.e. doesn't trust them to do their work rather than sit and yak to their friends all day. We never had that problem in banking - know why? - because we treated them well and motivated them - obviously TalkTalk has a problem in this regard with their employees - at least their telephone reps.

You might not LIKE my characterisation of TalkTalk reps as "minimum wage clerks" - but as the old saying goes, "If the shoe fits, wear it."

By the way, it now turns out that, because TalkTalk changed the telephone number on their own bat, it will now take another six weeks before the line can be made live for broadband. Therefore, we have decided to let TalkTalk bring it live, send out the router, and we will go for an immediate disconnect and go to another ISP.

Thank you so much - you have really done a great job as a TalkTalk rep to resolve this situation. You know how we would have handled this in banking??? If I had been you, I would have sent me a private message and gotten this particular customer's problem resolved - he's a charity case, for God's sake - he's dying.

I have done some more investigating, and I have found out some more information. For some reason, TalkTalk's records apparently showed that the customer's line was a "cable" telephone line. This in fact was incorrect information - the guy has never had cable - he has just been watching the 5 channels over the airwaves. I think this is why TalkTalk decided ON THEIR OWN BAT to change the guy's telephone number. By the way, this is research that YOU should have done after contacting me by private message. But you didn't. So TalkTalk gets another immediate disconnect after installation and delivery of the router. Thanks so much. You are exactly the sort of employee that I would want to represent me if you worked for me in banking.

Edited by investmentbanker (Tue 26-Jan-10 13:25:09)

(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-10 13:56:15
Print Post

Yes, I have been doing some more research and it appears that it IS TalkTalk's fault. TalkTalk have confirmed that their records indicated that the telephone line in the flat (it's an NHS flat - an NHS building, in fact) was a "cable telephone line". This was not true - it was a BT line (he has never had cable TV - can't afford it - just watches the 5 channels all day, 365 days a year - he's almost bedridden). Now, true, it may be that the information that TalkTalk has simply comes from BT - but that's not my client's fault.

Now it gets worse - I've just had somebody in the business tell me that, because TalkTalk actually had to send out an "engineer" (I used that term loosely), TalkTalk will bill my client £29.99 for a site visit. Now this absolutely necessitates our directing an immediate disconnection upon the line going live - neither I nor my church will put up with sticking this charity case (again, he's dying) with a £30 bill simply because of some bureaucratic screwup in TalkTalk's records (whether it comes from BT or who knows where - obviously it didn't come me or my client).

Again, If I had been you, "Em x", I would have contacted me by private mail and gotten this sorted out. As we have now found out, it is NOT my client's fault (nor mine). And the situation where TalkTalk reps cannot call out to confirm that a computer technician is acting for them is ridiculous. It's a ridiculous company. Now I know where their reputation comes from.

If you had contacted me by private email and sorted this out, you could have had me post a message saying that TalkTalk was lovely and sorted this out and that it was caused by bad data being passed to TalkTalk by BT. But that's not the way it worked out, is it. You seem to forget that I am the customer, not you. If you don't like my tone in any of my posts, it is because TalkTalk has been shafting a CHARITY CASE (I told the rep that numerous times - if he had had any brains, he would have referred it to his supervisor and said, "Look this is a charity case - I can't call them - can you handle it?).

Edited by investmentbanker (Tue 26-Jan-10 13:58:07)

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-10 17:50:17
Print Post

Em x,

You are clueless.

When you decide to take the hotel size chip off your shoulder one of the OCE's may decide to help further, personally i would tell you to get ******.

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Tue 26-Jan-10 17:52:47)

Standard User sean_r
(regular) Tue 26-Jan-10 18:16:25
Print Post

Em x,

You are clueless.

When you decide to take the hotel size chip off your shoulder one of the OCE's may decide to help further, personally i would tell you to get ******.

Could not agree with you more jack_Hackett.

Next thing you'll know, Mr Banker will be blaming TT for the state his industry has left the economey in. For which we all have to now pay for, while they still get their bonuses.

Sean
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-10 18:42:37
Print Post

personally i would tell you to get ******.

No, that's what we're going to tell TalkTalk the day after the line goes live.

They have my contact number to call - and I am sure they will call when we order a disconnect the day after the line goes live (if they call the dying man, he will simply refer them to me), at which point I will ask the TalkTalk person how he is able to contact me/how is he able to dial out - and I will explain to him/her that that alone was one of the huge stumbling blocks in this. But by that time it will be too late because I will have ordered service from another ISP. What is really irritating is that, because of what TalkTalk did - changed the number on their own bat - we now have to wait until 16 February until the line can be made live for broadband.

An additional consideration will be given to speaking at the same time the TalkTalk person speaks - like the minimum wage TalkTalk rep did with me. I think I'm going to have some fun with this - I'll just wait until the TalkTalk person starts speaking and then I'll start speaking - and when he/she stops speaking, I will stop speaking - and then when he/she starts speaking again, I will start speaking again. What a lovely culture the firm must have.

P.S.--I probably never should have named my pseudonym "investment banker" - I see that has ignited a firestorm of resentments. No doubt more posters will post to Jack Hackett along the lines "RIGHT ON, BROTHER! I'M WITH YOU!!!!"

Edited by investmentbanker (Tue 26-Jan-10 18:45:34)

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-10 18:51:04
Print Post

No, that's what we're going to tell TalkTalk the day after the line goes live.

With 4.2 million customers I doubt they will lose any sleep.

P.S.--I probably never should have named my pseudonym "investment banker" - I see that has ignited a firestorm of resentments.

Its not your name that's got peoples backs up its the fact you are a gob [censored].

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Tue 26-Jan-10 18:51:24)

Standard User matthewlowry88
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jan-10 01:42:11
Print Post

Em x,

You are clueless. I am Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - I did not make the mistake of migrating anything...

Sorry mate, but I wouldn't want to help a person who was that rude to me. Believe it or not, Em the TalkTalk representative was trying to help you and I agree completely with her when she suggests that referring to the customer service representative as "some minimum wage guy" could be insulting. Imagine if you were working as a call centre representative, and working hard every day and then came online just to find that you and your colleagues at the call centre were being referred to so demeaningly. Do you treat everyone who gets paid less than yourself with such resentment?

Actually, scrap that, you probably couldn't imagine that because you can't come down to any one else's level. Probably best to get off your high horse before going any further.

I hope you get the problem sorted, but I wouldn't blame them to not want to help if you stick with that attitude.

Good luck,

matt wink

> Sky Broadband - Mid 8MBit Customer [Home]

Edited by matthewlowry88 (Wed 27-Jan-10 01:46:12)

(newbie) Wed 27-Jan-10 06:32:31
Print Post

[re: matthewlowry88] [link to this post]

Do I treat everybody like that? No, the whole thing went pear-shaped when it became clear that there was no possible resolution to the matter. TalkTalk changed the telephone number on their own bat. When I called up TalkTalk, they said it had to be done because it was a cable telephone line. I told them it was a BT line. Doesn't matter, they say it is a cable line and that's that. As for my doing it the way I did - telling them I was the account holder - I only did that because (1) I had permission to do so, and (2) I didn't want to go through the riggamarole of going taking the time for TalkTalk to verify that I had permission. And then I was gobsmacked when I found out that TalkTalk couldn't verify it in any case because they didn't trust their employees not to gab on the phone to their friends all day (shows how much trust TalkTalk has in their employees). At that point, the whole thing became circular, i.e. TalkTalk is not set up to resolve issues like this. The only time I was ever able to get communication back from TalkTalk was . . . . . . . the TalkTalk representative came on line on this forum and posted to me.

One of the root problems in this is that TalkTalk has not provided its telephone reps with the ability to resolve some very basic issues - for example, being able to verify that a computer technician is acting on the account holder's behalf. But that is a trust issue between TalkTalk and its employees.

I guess if you really want to know what set my rocket off, it was that TalkTalk didn't have the ability to even communicate with me on my charity client's account - it was simply a case of, "You're not the account holder, we cannot talk to you, and we don't know how to contact the account holder - they don't allow us to - sorry, there is nothing that we can do for you". Oh, except that that is a sugared-up version of what the guy said - he was extremely rude to me when I identified who I was. Oh, and he kept insisting on some lie that "Unless you state at the time of ordering the service that you want to keep the same telephone number, TalkTalk will change it". Yes, he's a minimum wage clerk. And he probably wonders why he's in the job he's in.

Finally, I would point out that there has been no attempt to resolve this from TalkTalk's side - my client has not received even a cursory telephone call from them - and TalkTalk has it in their records that somebody called up masquerading as the account holder. I still don't know how to resolve this. I really don't. TalkTalk has changed the guy's number on their own bat, is scheduled to charge their charity case customer £30 for it, and we cannot communicate with TalkTalk. I really have no alternative than just blow them off after the line goes live.

I know they have 4.2 million customers. We all know what happened when they first rolled out the service a number years ago and attracted large numbers of customers . . . . . . but were unable to provide the service. A lot of people said they should have been prosecuted for consumer fraud.

Personally, I use BT, and for some reason, we seem to get along just fine.

Edited by investmentbanker (Wed 27-Jan-10 06:39:39)

Standard User lenaspell
(member) Wed 27-Jan-10 08:55:07
Print Post

I understand your frustration and no doubt that TT have made a number of errors along the way. However your attitude and approach has not helped resolve the issue one iota.

You come across as patronising and arrogant and you seem to blame the people for the Company's processes and procedures. You are rude and personally insulting without actually understanding anything about their background. They might well be paid less than you and not have the experience of life that you have had but that does not mean they are not intelligent nor do I suspect they attend work each day with the view 'I wonder how many people I can upset today'

I too worked in banking for over 36 years and for most of that time employees were treated with respect and they were allowed to use their initiative and as they got more experienced were given greater levels of authority to commit the organisation. Now they too seem more process driven and certainly have much more of a tick box mentality. Also during my many years I came across many arrogant investment bankers that took the view that ordinary mortals were there to wipe their shoes - it seems likely from your posts and rantings that you belonged in that camp.

I doubt Em is clueless and if you had been pleasant might well have found someone with whom you could have dealt to get this resolved. I do hope that it is resolved for the old gentleman's benefit in his final years of life rather than for your benefit and I do hope that TT can try and put aside your rudeness and unnecessary unpleasantness to deal with the issue. But at present you are not helping one bit despite all your years experience and qualifications.

Something to ponder over perhaps.

Len

Zen 8000 Active. Netgear DGN2000 Router.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit ; Windows XP Pro SP3 and iMac 9.1 and MacBook both running Snow Leopard smile
(newbie) Wed 27-Jan-10 09:00:33
Print Post

Oh god, here we go again about investment banking. I never should have used that moniker as my user name.
Standard User lenaspell
(member) Wed 27-Jan-10 09:11:20
Print Post

Oh god, here we go again about investment banking. I never should have used that moniker as my user name.

It wasn't your moniker I was commenting on but your assertion of how many years you had been in banking when you likened that experience to that of the TT staff.

However leaving that aside it is interesting that you once more miss the point and therefore the underlying message I was trying to convey. I was suggesting an alternative approach to you as your present one doesn't seem to be getting you, and more importantly your elderly client, anywhere fast.

But I expect you'll bat it to one side and have it your way. So be it.

Len

Windows 7 Pro 64bit ; Windows XP Pro SP3 and iMac 9.1 and MacBook both running Snow Leopard smile
(newbie) Wed 27-Jan-10 09:30:24
Print Post

What I like about this whole thread - in fact, think it is funny - is that nobody attempts to defend the way TalkTalk has operated in this situation (and no doubt, many others), i.e. no attempt to defend unnecessarily changing a customer's telephone number, then thus having to make them wait 6 weeks for the new line to go live for broadband, the TalkTalk rep either not knowing basics about his job or having been lied to by TalkTalk (the bit where the rep told me that unless at the point of sale that I made it a point of stating that I wanted to keep my original telephone number that TalkTalk would change it), TalkTalk reps not being able to call the customer's number to confirm that he/she has a third-party dealing with the matter on their behalf, the TalkTalk Support person on this forum suggesting that TalkTalk was acting in my best interests because I was risking a 5-year prison sentence and hefty fines (not possible - I had the permission of the account holder - if only TalkTalk could have verified that, but alas, they don't trust their employees enough to give them outgoing lines).

I am trying to figure out what is going on on this forum and this thread, i.e. it is a fact that TalkTalk has an atrocious reputation with the public, and yet everybody here is pro-TalkTalk. Could it be . . . . . could it be . . . . . . could it possiblly be . . . . . . that TalkTalk has mobilised a group of employees to act as cheerleaders and "talk down" anybody that has a complaint about TalkTalk??? My guess is that the average dissatisfied TalkTalk customer does not post on these forums and just either puts up with it or migrates away.
Standard User matthewlowry88
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jan-10 09:50:04
Print Post

No-one is defending them because things have gone wrong and obviously service hasn't been perfect - however, at least Em has offered to help - the community support people tend to be very good and they were very helpful in sorting out a problem for my friend on the TalkTalk members forums. Additionally, no matter how aggrieved you feel, people do not deserved to be spoken to like that. The guys on the front line are doing what they are told and what they can within their powers - if you have a gripe, treat the front-line reps nicely and then take it up with a higher level.

If you just ditch the bad attitude and ask nicely, I am sure Em will be delighted to help you. She was polite and helpful in her previous post.

matt wink

> Sky Broadband - Mid 8MBit Customer [Home]
Standard User lenaspell
(member) Wed 27-Jan-10 09:51:31
Print Post

What I like about this whole thread - in fact, think it is funny - is that nobody attempts to defend the way TalkTalk has operated in this situation (and no doubt, many others), i.e. no attempt to defend unnecessarily changing a customer's telephone number, then thus having to make them wait 6 weeks for the new line to go live for broadband, the TalkTalk rep either not knowing basics about his job or having been lied to by TalkTalk (the bit where the rep told me that unless at the point of sale that I made it a point of stating that I wanted to keep my original telephone number that TalkTalk would change it), TalkTalk reps not being able to call the customer's number to confirm that he/she has a third-party dealing with the matter on their behalf, the TalkTalk Support person on this forum suggesting that TalkTalk was acting in my best interests because I was risking a 5-year prison sentence and hefty fines (not possible - I had the permission of the account holder - if only TalkTalk could have verified that, but alas, they don't trust their employees enough to give them outgoing lines).

I am trying to figure out what is going on on this forum and this thread, i.e. it is a fact that TalkTalk has an atrocious reputation with the public, and yet everybody here is pro-TalkTalk. Could it be . . . . . could it be . . . . . . could it possiblly be . . . . . . that TalkTalk has mobilised a group of employees to act as cheerleaders and "talk down" anybody that has a complaint about TalkTalk??? My guess is that the average dissatisfied TalkTalk customer does not post on these forums and just either puts up with it or migrates away.

On the contrary - you just ignore matters when it suits your argument. If you look at the start of my post today you see this :-

I understand your frustration and no doubt that TT have made a number of errors along the way. However your attitude and approach has not helped resolve the issue one iota.

So you see I do believe that TT have made errors and serious ones. I am not a supporter of TT and never have been. I have never worked for TT and nor do I belong to any support group. In fact I have been critical of them elsewhere. But it is the company's processes and procedures that need attacking and improving and not an attack on the staff per se.

The whole purpose of my posting was to suggest to you a moderation to your approach in order to, perhaps hopefully, obtain some assistance from TalkTalk. Attacking me, or indeed anybody else that suggests some help, really doesn't help you resolve the situation for your 'charity case'.

You should have a rethink as to whether your current approach is actually helping get the matter resolved.

Len

Standard User lenaspell
(member) Wed 27-Jan-10 09:54:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewlowry88:
No-one is defending them because things have gone wrong and obviously service hasn't been perfect - however, at least Em has offered to help - the community support people tend to be very good and they were very helpful in sorting out a problem for my friend on the TalkTalk members forums. Additionally, no matter how aggrieved you feel, people do not deserved to be spoken to like that. The guys on the front line are doing what they are told and what they can within their powers - if you have a gripe, treat the front-line reps nicely and then take it up with a higher level.

If you just ditch the bad attitude and ask nicely, I am sure Em will be delighted to help you. She was polite and helpful in her previous post.

matt wink

Well said and exactly what I was trying to convey too. smile

Len

(newbie) Wed 27-Jan-10 13:25:42
Print Post

Matthewlowry,

Em never offered to help - she simply suggested that I had called up for a new service (which I in fact did) rather than migrate over from another service. Well, as I pointed out in my original post, the charity case guy never had service - all he ever had was BT telephone service. So I called up and ordered new service - so what - why does that necessitate a new telephone number (the TalkTallk rep said it was because I had to know to request that the old number be kept - which is nonsense - I don't have to know to request that). So, Em never offered to help, either on the thread or in private.

Secondly, I didn't come here for help from TalkTalk - I didn't even know they had employees lurking here (if I had known that, I might have come here first rather than waste my time on the phone with a TalkTalk rep who can't even call the customer - at least Em can reply to me here - more than can be said for the TalkTalk telephone rep).

Minor correction - the "engineer" that came out, did NOT leave a router - that apparently arrives a couple of days before the line goes live for broadband (I thought he had left a router, but when I visited the charity case guy, I found out otherwise). Thus, what will happen is, we will receive the router, the line will go live, and then we will put in for a disconnection (because TalkTalk wants to charge/suck the blood out of this dying man because they erred and sent an "engineer" out when the flat was already wired with a BT line, and want to charge £30 for it. It's not my choice of a solution, but TalkTalk has boxed my client into a corner, and I won't let him pay £30 for nothing - that's actually a lot of money to the guy (and I know that, at this point, one of you will post back and say, "Yeah, well, Carphone Warehouse is a FTSE 100 company and has £15 billion in the bank so why do you think they care about your client and his piddly little thirty quid???").

The router will go in the rubbish bin.

Edited by investmentbanker (Wed 27-Jan-10 13:27:02)

(isp) Wed 27-Jan-10 15:23:11
Print Post

Hi Investmentbanker,

There are two different numbers used for sales and new line instalation customers. The sales agents can not arrange a new line instalation. If you call this number and ask for the service to be migrated from an active BT line to TalkTalk then that is exactly what you would get. The team who take calls on this number can not arrange engineers - they can run n availability test and they would providethe new lines number if the property was showing as a cable service or the line was not already active

The new lines number can only arrange new line instalation and not a migration from another provider. They take the address details and check to see if there is a service that has been previously activated and stopped or if a whole new line instalation is required. The engineer fee is the same for both services with TalkTalk. The necesity for an engineer visit is verified by BT Openreach. If you called the number for a new instalation (as you state you did in your last post despite saying you did not in an earlier post) then your "client" has got the service you requested. If the line was live on BTs network already there was no requirement for you to order a new line as the property already had an active service and a migraton from BT to TalkTalk could have been arranaged if the correct sales channel had been used.

You may also wish to inform your client that a new line instalation comes with a 24 month contract term and not an 18 month contract as per migrations from another provider.

As per my previous post relating to data protection I can answer general questions for you in relation to this matter but I can not discuss account specifics with anyone other than the named account holder. The named account holder is welcome to register and post at www.talktalkmembers.com/forums should they wish for us to look into this further. Upon a request from the named account holder we can review the sales call to see exactly what services were requested at the point of sale.

Cheers
Em x

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User lenaspell
(member) Wed 27-Jan-10 16:31:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by TALKTALK_SUPPORT:
You may also wish to inform your client that a new line instalation comes with a 24 month contract term and not an 18 month contract as per migrations from another provider.

As per my previous post relating to data protection I can answer general questions for you in relation to this matter but I can not discuss account specifics with anyone other than the named account holder. The named account holder is welcome to register and post at www.talktalkmembers.com/forums should they wish for us to look into this further. Upon a request from the named account holder we can review the sales call to see exactly what services were requested at the point of sale.

Cheers
Em x

With respect Em if you read the whole of this thread what you have just suggested is total nonsense and a non starter. Not least because he doesn't yet have an internet connection and also the OP clearly stated that he has never used a computer before so he is hardly likely to be able to register and post at your forum.

You clearly have not understood the precise nature of this gentleman's condition hence having Investmentbanker as his guide as part of the church's charity provision. Surely there must be someone in TalkTalk's higher management that can grasp the issues here.

Having stoutly defended you this morning and being rounded upon for doing so I am beginning to despair myself at the intransigence of your Company's position. Whatever happened to using common sense and compassion?

I dread to think what Investmentbanker is going to make of your latest posting.

An urgent case of a rethink on the part of TalkTalk is now due and you need to involve Senior Management. I can see this hitting the Sunday Times!

Len

(isp) Wed 27-Jan-10 16:45:00
Print Post

Hi Len,

As I've explained in my last postings in this thread I am bound by data protection law. I am afraid that I can not discuss the account with a thrid party due to this fact. It is not that I don't want to help, it is the fact that my hands are tied by UK law in the information I can and can not discuss with a third party. I am afraid the law makes no allowances for "common sense and compassion"

The only other couse of action I can suggest is a letter to the Customer Liaison Manager to the head office address as detailed in the consumer code of conduct on the TalkTalk Website - http://media.talktalk.co.uk/sites/TalkTalk/Static/Le... See section 14 for the complaints procedure.

Cheers
Em x

Standard User lenaspell
(member) Wed 27-Jan-10 17:26:19
Print Post

Hi Em

As far as I am aware there is nothing in the DPA that prevents a company (or individual) discussing matters with a third party providing they have the permission of the person to whom the data is about. How else would agents and solicitors and other advisers eg financial be able to operate.

If I am wrong I would like to know the precise clause(s) of the DPA that TalkTalk believes apply. The other question that is frequently asked when discussing the legal risks is.... even if it is a technical breach (and I am not conceding that here) then who is going to take the point? And if they do what would the defence be?

This is a similar debate that takes place over Health & Safety laws - it has become a commonly but wrongly held view that the HASAWA precludes many things when in fact it does no such thing but if enough people believe it does then it seems to get enshrined.

I appreciate you are merely reporting back on what your procedures say but my point is that there is an 80+ yr old infirm chap at the end of this wrangle that deserves to be treated with respect and courtesy. Charges can just as easily be waived as made but it requires someone in authority to consider the matter properly. The contractual position may well be one thing but that doesn't necessarily mean it is right and just.

Please be assured this is not a rant against you - indeed your posts have remained polite throughout - it is against a 'system' that appears to be intransigent.

Len

(isp) Wed 27-Jan-10 17:51:40
Print Post

Hi Len,

There are indeed circumstances where others can act on behalf of a customer but this needs to be pre-arranged. We would either need to have received proof of power of attorney or passwords would need to be added to an account that can be quoted to gain access to the account. Password access is read only i.e. we can give out information but we can not action changes, and even with a password there are certain elements of the account that can not be discussed with anyone other than the account holder. We will continue to offer as much help and assistance as possible either on these forums or via the TalkTalk forums for none account holders but we are limited by the law and internal processes/interpritation of legislation.

Cheers
Em x

(newbie) Wed 27-Jan-10 17:56:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by TALKTALK_SUPPORT:
Hi Investmentbanker,

There are two different numbers used for sales and new line instalation customers. The sales agents can not arrange a new line instalation. If you call this number and ask for the service to be migrated from an active BT line to TalkTalk then that is exactly what you would get. The team who take calls on this number can not arrange engineers - they can run n availability test and they would providethe new lines number if the property was showing as a cable service or the line was not already active

The new lines number can only arrange new line instalation and not a migration from another provider. They take the address details and check to see if there is a service that has been previously activated and stopped or if a whole new line instalation is required. The engineer fee is the same for both services with TalkTalk. The necesity for an engineer visit is verified by BT Openreach. If you called the number for a new instalation (as you state you did in your last post despite saying you did not in an earlier post) then your "client" has got the service you requested. If the line was live on BTs network already there was no requirement for you to order a new line as the property already had an active service and a migraton from BT to TalkTalk could have been arranaged if the correct sales channel had been used.

Cheers
Em x

As mentioned to you, the named account holder doesn't even know how to hold a mouse, thus his registering here is a non-sequitur. I would have gladly given you his details privately via private message and you could have easily called him to verify that I speak for him (this is assuming that you have outgoing call privileges).

As mentioned previously, the number that I dialled is 0800-049-1054 - that's the number at the top of the www.talktalk.co.uk webpage. It does not say whether it is Sales or New Line Installations. Surely you are familiar with this number??? Perhaps you would be so kind to tell us if that is Sales or New Line Installations.

Update: I just called that number and asked them if they were Sales or New Line Installations. The person said, "We do both". Go figure.

Apparently what happened, is, TalkTalk's records show the flat as having a cable telephone line - that info is incorrect - he has only ever had a BT line (he could never afford cable - just sat there and watched the 5 terrestrial channels 24//7 365 days a year (when he is not in hospital). I was told the line would go live on 28 or 29 December, and that a router would be sent out. Instead, they sent out an engineer and he changed the guy's telephone number - I would guess what happened is that TalkTalk's records said that the line was a cable line, so the guy was given orders to go out and "install a new line" - of course, when he got out there, he found that it wasn't a cable telephone line but a BT line, so the guy in fact did nothing, but the charity case guy is apparently going to get charged for it (when I signed him up for the service, TalkTalk was running a special - no connection charge (assuming there was no new line installation)).

As for informing my charity client that a new line installation is a 24-month contract versus an 18-month contract for a migration from a BT line, you again miss the boat - he's not on a 24-month contract even if TalkTalk did put a new line in - TalkTalk did that on their own bat. In any event, he will in all likelihood die even before the 18-month contract is up, so do you REALLY think he is going to be worried about that. I won't even bother him with the issue. The only thing that I will do is make sure a block is put on his bank account so that TalkTalk can't withdraw any money.

Without a change in the situation, we are boxed in on this matter. We cannot talk to TalkTalk - well, my client can, but he hasn't a clue what any of this is (he doesn't even know what the internet is - the first thing I am going to do when I get him online is show him how to play games/chess with people around the world - he doesn't know any of this exists), and, of course, TalkTalk is not set up to speak to third-parties such as computer installers - even if they have the account holder's approval - but again, that is down to a trust issue between TalkTalk and it's telephone reps.

Edited by investmentbanker (Wed 27-Jan-10 18:02:19)

(newbie) Wed 27-Jan-10 18:14:03
Print Post

Taking a step back from this whole thing for a moment, my guess as to where it all went wrong is that when somebody in that block of flats got cable TV and a cable telephone line, and the whole block probably got marked in the records as being a "cable telephone" block of flats, rather than just the one flat. That's just speculation.

And the guy isn't an 80+ year-old man - he's only about 63. Unfortunately, as Em stated, she cannot talk to me about this guy - I mean, it could all be verified if TalkTalk could speak to the engineer that came out - he would verify that (1) it is an NHS block of flats, (2) the guy in this particular flat is in a shocking state (he has lymphoma, cellulitus, amongst other things - his ankles are the size of what your thighs are). That state of the flat is also shocking - your engineer would without a doubt remember installation - the guy can't even take a shower standing up - the NHS had to put bolt a chair into the floor in the shower so that the guy can sit down and hose himself off. He weighs about 450 pounds. You literally look at him and think, "This guy is going to be dead within twelve months". Those were my exact words that I said to my bishop when we closed the door and left, the first time I went over there with him. Again, your engineer would remember this installation.

Edited by investmentbanker (Wed 27-Jan-10 18:28:26)

Standard User alpine
(regular) Wed 27-Jan-10 19:35:52
Print Post

I am Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

Wow!!! We are SO impressed!!!!
(newbie) Wed 27-Jan-10 19:59:15
Print Post

[re: alpine] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alpine:
I am Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

Wow!!! We are SO impressed!!!!

If you had read her previous post, she wrote, "It sounds to me as if you have called the new line instalations team to set up the service for your friend rather than a migration of a service from another provider." I don't make that sort of basic mistake, and I was simply trying to get it across to her that she could cut to the chase (similar to when I call up any ISP for any client and the ISP person asks me "Have you tried unplugging the modem and plugging it back in again?" - it saves time if they know I know computers. Maybe I didn't work it well - perhaps I should have written, "I'm an MCSE - I know the difference between migration and a new line - I don't make basic mistakes like that".
Standard User lenaspell
(member) Wed 27-Jan-10 21:43:19
Print Post

My mistake over age - I was confusing him with another disgruntled TT customer that hasn't had a live telephone since before Christmas but that's another story.

So apologies for any confusion over his age but he is clearly still infirm and elderly. And he can't operate a mouse let alone register and use a forum.

Anyway I will back out of this one as there is nothing new to be said at this point.

Len

Standard User sean_r
(regular) Wed 27-Jan-10 21:48:05
Print Post

I'm fairly sure that its BT who would have told TT that the line was a cable, so it would be BT's data base thats needs updating.

In your 1st post you say that TT came out and installed the broadband router and then in a later post, you say

"Therefore, we have decided to let TalkTalk bring it live, send out the router, and we will go for an immediate disconnect and go to another ISP."

So i'm asking myself, are you getting 2 routers or is that the engineer who attended, came to fit a master socket and was from BTOR.

As to the data protection and acting on behalf of other people I had the same problem with HMRC. I had all my friends details and his permission to act on his behalf, but they wouldn't let me. They insisted on speaking to my friend, who was not with me. And no! they would not phone him to speak to him, he had to ring them. I have also had the same sort of problems with banks.

Sean
(newbie) Thu 28-Jan-10 06:41:45
Print Post

[re: sean_r] [link to this post]

I erred when I said that the engineer left a router when he came out - at that point I had simply spoken to my charity case client, and he really didn't know what I was talking about - when I actually went out to his flat to hook up the computer, I found that the engineer had in fact not left a router. I called TT and they told me the router would be sent out in about six weeks time - because it was going to take that long to get the new line live for broadband.
(isp) Thu 28-Jan-10 11:00:22
Print Post

Hi Investmentbanker,

The engineers are BT Openreach engineers and not TalkTalk engineers therefore it is not possible for me to speak to the engineer regarding an instalation. As I stated earlier in this thread any 3rd party access would need to be pre arranged and the word of a BT Openreach engineer confirms only the work that was completed in the property - it would not confirm power of attourney or the right to discuss an account on the account holders behalf.

I can appreciate your frustration and I would love to be able to help out and investigate the sale of the account etc but I can not do this without the relevant data protection confirmation from the named account holder. If you'd like me to re-visit this once your clients broadband service is live and the account holder can post on the TalkTalk forums to give you authorisation to deal with his account then I'm more than happy to investigate fully for you.

Cable markers are specific to the telephone line they are applied to so this would not affect another line in a block of flats etc. If the line has ever been on a Cable service the marker would remain on the line and a new number would be required as LLU is not compatible with cable markers.

Cheers
Em x

Standard User cheyenne67
(newbie) Thu 28-Jan-10 11:19:07
Print Post

My god man what's the world coming to???
I really feel for the so called "minimum wage guy" being on such a low income and having to listen aggravating members of society like yourself!!!
On one hand you say you do a disabled guy a favour and on the other you disrespect people on low incomes... Scitzo
Standard User XRaySpeX
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-10 14:11:51
Print Post

What's the point of repeatedly playing the "charity case" card, particularly here to us, like you were trying to garner our undeserved sympathy for you? You are also constantly denigrating your client by referring to him as "your charity case client" and "bedridden" when he is simply your "client".

However as many others here have observed, that is par for the course for you. I have watched your long-winded explanations here and they plainly show you to be arrogant, patronising, condescending, rude, insulting, uneducated ... and so on ... your faults seem unending. You do yourself no favours in resolving the problem you raised by your tirades.

You obviously have a big problem relating to people and I imagine that as an soi-disant Investment Banker, you spent your career talking only to screens. Obviously, you then failed as a banker and are now masquerading as a Computer Repairman.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg BB
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-10 18:04:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You obviously have a big problem relating to people and I imagine that as an soi-disant Investment Banker, you spent your career talking only to screens. Obviously, you then failed as a banker and are now masquerading as a Computer Repairman.

Do you honestly think this guy is a banker ?

He is definitely something that sounds like a banker. grin
Standard User XRaySpeX
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-10 18:17:57
Print Post

No, hence my "soi-disant" wink

Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Jan-10 19:37:25
Print Post

If the line has ever been on a Cable service the marker would remain on the line and a new number would be required as LLU is not compatible with cable markers.

Not strictly true. It's if the number was originally provided by a cableco. TalkTalk can't port numbers owned by them. Even if the number is currently with BT. The original provider controls the number.

This is due to TalkTalk not having a Number Portability Agreement with the cablecos rather than any technical reason to do with LLU.

Of course, the reverse is also true. So anyone who gets a new number from TalkTalk should be aware that they will not be able to transfer that number to the cableco in the future. Or any other provider who they don't have an agreement with.

TalkTalk should really address this.

Edited by RandomJointer (Thu 28-Jan-10 19:43:36)

Standard User ETEE
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Jan-10 00:14:48
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
TalkTalk should really address this.

They should indeed and it would surely be good for their business to have a traffic exchange agreement with Virgin. Maybe they will after Opal won their recent Ofcom battle with BT about exchanging mobile calls.

ETEE

16448kbps/1017kbps Best Speed 13820kbps cool ThinkBroadband SpeedTester

Worst Speed 211kbps confused shocked TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Jan-10 01:13:39
Print Post

[re: ETEE] [link to this post]

Maybe they will after Opal won their recent Ofcom battle with BT about exchanging mobile calls.

I have no idea what Opal / BT mobile termination charges have to do with Virgin / TalkTalk Number Portability issues.

Number Portability between TalkTalk and Virgin are nothing to do with BT!

Their problem is that they both are only geared to simple ports away from BT. They are both big boys now and should be able to agree number ports between themselves.

The OP may not be the politest punter in the pack but raises a relevant issue.

The lack of a TalkTalk Number Portability Agreement with anyone other than BT is anti competitive and presents punters moving in or away from TalkTalk with a barrier.

If TalkTalk won't agree a porting deal with other providers, they should refund and return to donor FOC imho.

Standard User ETEE
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Jan-10 16:06:24
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
Maybe they will after Opal won their recent Ofcom battle with BT about exchanging mobile calls.

I have no idea what Opal / BT mobile termination charges have to do with Virgin / TalkTalk Number Portability issues.

The principle is similar.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/draft_deter_...

ETEE

Standard User Hatari
(regular) Sun 31-Jan-10 11:55:29
Print Post

Have dragged myself all the way through this topic, I do wonder how many if any of the posts helped the customer. Why do people have to jump in and attack OPs on forums for bad grammar etc, all it does is allow the OP to continue the rant. Rather than not posting and the topic either just dying or someone who can really help posting. As for protecting Emma worry not she is very capable of protecting herself.

Just as an aside, Talktalk and the Opal Business side of CPW do not even seem to be able to port numbers between each other.

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-Jan-10 12:04:33
Print Post

[re: Hatari] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hatari:
Just as an aside, Talktalk and the Opal Business side of CPW do not even seem to be able to port numbers between each other.

You say "seem" have you proof of this sweeping statement ? crazy
Standard User Hatari
(regular) Sun 31-Jan-10 12:23:02
Print Post

Oh Jack here you go again, sufficient proof lol

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-Jan-10 12:34:47
Print Post

Oh Jack here you go again, sufficient proof lol

If I had believed every negative post and sweeping statement I have read in various forums over the couple of months i was considering moving to TT I would have stayed with my old ISP, I moved after asking in this forum if gaming pings are low and stable and was told by a few members they are, I moved and have not regretted it once.
Standard User Hatari
(regular) Sun 31-Jan-10 18:04:26
Print Post

If I had believed every negative post and sweeping statement I have read in various forums over the couple of months i was considering moving to TT I would have stayed with my old ISP, I moved after asking in this forum if gaming pings are low and stable and was told by a few members they are, I moved and have not regretted it once.

How is the relevant to the OP's problem? :confused:

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-Jan-10 18:09:00
Print Post

How is the relevant to the OP's problem? :confused:

It isn't as yours earlier wasn't.

Have dragged myself all the way through this topic, I do wonder how many if any of the posts helped the customer. Why do people have to jump in and attack OPs on forums for bad grammar etc, all it does is allow the OP to continue the rant. Rather than not posting and the topic either just dying or someone who can really help posting. As for protecting Emma worry not she is very capable of protecting herself.
Standard User Hatari
(member) Sun 31-Jan-10 19:49:21
Print Post

smile It was about this topic, hence relevant to it lol

Night night lol

Standard User bilbo8
(committed) Mon 01-Feb-10 11:57:54
Print Post

I told you Jack, TT are internet cowboys

Worst of the absolute worst, thats what TT are. Lying, dishonest used carpet salesmen ..............avoid them at all costs. They werent on watchdog as the cesspit of UK internet for no reason.

O2 LLU
17,500 KB/sec down : 1315 KB/sec upstream
Standard User bilbo8
(committed) Mon 01-Feb-10 12:03:33
Print Post

You should show your customer some respect mate

So your customer has ailments that render him bedridden........and you refer to him as a charity case client. Thats pretty low, I mean , really really low and condescending . You keep up the self importance masquerading and you wont have too many customers left to back stab. The best advice I can direct to you is to climb down from up on high, remove your head from your own anus and try being nice to people.

O2 LLU

Edited by bilbo8 (Mon 01-Feb-10 12:10:07)

(newbie) Mon 01-Feb-10 14:05:07
Print Post

Re: You should show your customer some respect mate

[re: bilbo8] [link to this post]

I don't think my referring to him as a "charity case" is condescending - it is a statement of fact. He was referred to me via my church, to see if I could do something for him.
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Feb-10 17:41:33
Print Post

Re: I told you Jack, TT are internet cowboys

In reply to a post by bilbo8:
Worst of the absolute worst, thats what TT are. Lying, dishonest used carpet salesmen ..............avoid them at all costs. They werent on watchdog as the cesspit of UK internet for no reason.

You really need to keep up with the times and stop spamming the boards with this out of date bile at every opportunity.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Feb-10 18:13:10
Print Post

Wow! That was a short post for you smile

It's not so much the reference to "charity case", as your repeatedly bringing it up here that's patronising.

(newbie) Tue 02-Feb-10 01:35:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Wow! That was a short post for you smile

It's not so much the reference to "charity case", as your repeatedly bringing it up here that's patronising.

Well, your objection is totally different from what the other person posted. You feel you/the thread are being patronised - the other person felt my client was being patronised. Not everybody can be satisfied all the time. To each, his own.

Edited by investmentbanker (Tue 02-Feb-10 01:44:29)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Feb-10 02:32:39
Print Post

No, you don't listen again! It's patronising towards your client.

Standard User lenaspell
(member) Tue 02-Feb-10 07:59:35
Print Post

Getting back on thread - is this resolved yet? grin

Len

(newbie) Tue 02-Feb-10 11:00:21
Print Post

No, we never got anywhere, nothing got done. As it stands, TT changed the number even though it was a BT line (for whatever reason - perhaps TT was told by BT that it was a cable line - whatever). Thus, TT will bill him £30 for the visit (even though the BT Openreach engineer did nothing - he showed up and found out it was already a BT line). The deal I signed my client up for was free installation (this presumed it was a BT line). Given that the guy has very little money (again, my church asked me to cobble together a computer from spare parts for the guy), we can't really let him pay the £30 installation. And I'm not going to pay, and neither is our church. And I can't talk to TT. It is unfortunate, but that is how it worked out in the end, and we will go for a disconnect after the line goes live unless TT waives the bogus installation charge (this is problematic, because it will require my client to get on the phone with TT and tell them things like "I never ordered a new telephone number", and "I never had a cable line - it was a BT line from the get-go". Of course, the problem is that all of this is way over my client's head - as mentioned above, he's never touched a computer before, and when I set it up for him, he tried to use his thumb on the rollerball on the bottom of the mouse to move the cursor, i.e. I had to show him how to use a mouse (he's never even had satellite or cable TV). And maybe it's not TT's fault - most likely it is BT's fault - but it sure as heck isn't my client's fault, and it isn't my fault.

Sorry for all the hustle and bustle this case caused.

Edited by investmentbanker (Tue 02-Feb-10 11:07:13)

Standard User Hatari
(member) Tue 02-Feb-10 14:47:41
Print Post

You really need to keep up with the times and stop spamming the boards with this out of date bile at every opportunity.

Jack, bilbo8 words are not necessarily the words I would use but unfortunately they are very close to the truth. Miss-selling Talktalk Pro by suggesting people with 4Mbps will benefit from a new piece of equipment that has been put in the customer's exchange that would boost his speed. Even on the TTForum it can take a week to get an answer from TT Staff and staff have admitted that they have a backlog. Apparently because "the only reason why things are so bad at the moment is due to strange peak in new members and a demand for support and our lack of ability to keep on-top of this" and the indications in the same post are those things are not going to improve rapidly. Of course as always my opinion and interpretation of what I read.

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Feb-10 18:13:48
Print Post

Jack, bilbo8 words are not necessarily the words I would use but unfortunately they are very close to the truth. Miss-selling Talktalk Pro by suggesting people with 4Mbps will benefit from a new piece of equipment that has been put in the customer's exchange that would boost his speed.

Obviously if this is actually true it is miss-selling but as a regular user of the TT forums i can honestly say this is not a subject i have read a lot of threads about and bearing in mind TT have 4.2 million customers if it was a regular occurrence the boards would be flooded with complaints daily.

Even on the TTForum it can take a week to get an answer from TT Staff and staff have admitted that they have a backlog. Apparently because "the only reason why things are so bad at the moment is due to strange peak in new members and a demand for support and our lack of ability to keep on-top of this"

I have never seen that used as an excuse, I know they had a problem over the Christmas period as some OCE's couldn't get to the office but I assumed this was now sorted and they had caught up.

99% of new threads are answered the next day and the majority of the problems in the threads are fixed the same day, with 4.2 million customers there is bound to be a regular flow of customers with problems, all ISP's forums have unhappy customers reporting problems its not something exclusive to Talk Talk.

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Tue 02-Feb-10 18:19:22)

Standard User Hatari
(member) Tue 02-Feb-10 20:25:58
Print Post

Jack, bilbo8 words are not necessarily the words I would use but unfortunately they are very close to the truth. Miss-selling Talktalk Pro by suggesting people with 4Mbps will benefit from a new piece of equipment that has been put in the customer's exchange that would boost his speed.

Obviously if this is actually true it is miss-selling but as a regular user of the TT forums i can honestly say this is not a subject i have read a lot of threads about and bearing in mind TT have 4.2 million customers if it was a regular occurrence the boards would be flooded with complaints daily.

Even on the TTForum it can take a week to get an answer from TT Staff and staff have admitted that they have a backlog. Apparently because "the only reason why things are so bad at the moment is due to strange peak in new members and a demand for support and our lack of ability to keep on-top of this"

I have never seen that used as an excuse, I know they had a problem over the Christmas period as some OCE's couldn't get to the office but I assumed this was now sorted and they had caught up.

99% of new threads are answered the next day and the majority of the problems in the threads are fixed the same day, with 4.2 million customers there is bound to be a regular flow of customers with problems, all ISP's forums have unhappy customers reporting problems its not something exclusive to Talk Talk.

Well for someone who claims to be a regular user of the TTforum I am amazed that you have not seen the post by the TTForum manager from which that quote comes, posted today. As to 99% of new threads being answered by TTstaff the next day and the majority of threads being fixed the same day what evidence do you have for that. Even the TTForum manager admits they have a large backlog and are not even picking up threads that have been flagged by the mods (EMs).

From a Mod (EM) posted today
Just to raise a point to Stephen. And I'm not having a dig as such here, because I can see for myself how high the OCE workload is, but, I flagged a thread last saturday that was started by the OP on the 15th January. He needs OCE intervention but not had any, so I flagged it.

He's still waiting. My point is, why does the EM group have a flag ability if no one takes any notice of it ? I might as well not have bothered. No EM would flag a thread that they didn't think was worthy of it, we all take that privelege seriously, but if no ones acting on them, then its a pointless exercise.

The TTForum Manager's reply
Hi,

We have someone working flagged threads everyday.. We have a lot...........

SORRY

Two different pictures one from the management and your's Jack, I know which one I have to believe. smile 15 Jan to today by my count is 18 days and flagged by a MOD as needing attention.

Edited by Hatari (Tue 02-Feb-10 22:47:48)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Feb-10 18:28:46
Print Post

Two different pictures one from the management and your's Jack, I know which one I have to believe. smile 15 Jan to today by my count is 18 days and flagged by a MOD as needing attention.

One post from today (below) i could get a lot more but really cannot be bothered.

I think the OCE's provide a great service in most cases fixing the customers problems the same day, profile changes seem to be the most common solution to customers problems and are usually fixed the day the OCE reads the thread, obviously some slip through the net but with 4.2 million customers they are going to have a steady stream of customers with teething problems as all ISP's do.

ArcBic

Thanks Nathan but leave the me on 15db

Have been connected solid for 6 half days now

Sooooo happy

And 5M down line is good enough for me

If I need more will sort it later, ta
Standard User woweebert
(experienced) Wed 03-Feb-10 19:10:30
Print Post

I think the problem here is that its become common knowledge about the TalkTalk users forum , to the extent that they now cant cope with the work load , and 4.2 million users is one hell of a work load , and i say , its still a small % that know about the users forum .

The real problem is the fact TalkTalk telephone support is still very poor and now the forum has become busy it will make getting profile changes and the such much harder to get implemented .

I don't know what the answer is , and to date this has nor effected me and the lines i look after , but is a concern for me as managing there lines through the forum meant they made a request and i could get it sanctioned .

Hopefully they will catch up and every thing will be fine , as the winter months are always busy for any broadband support from any ISP .

UKonline... Premier LLU
Standard User bilbo8
(committed) Wed 03-Feb-10 19:19:44
Print Post

Pants.......total Pants, thats what Talk Talk are

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

you could ask Talk Talk to fix a flat bycycle tyre and they wouldnt have the savvy to do even that. a bunch of arfur daley`s in sheepskin coats willing to tell you any ole rubbish to get your signature on the dotted line and shackle you into 18 months of living hell with them. their phone "support" , dear lord, before a punter signs up , they should experience the (cough) "support" , talk about a revelatory experience !!

O2 LLU
Standard User bilbo8
(committed) Wed 03-Feb-10 19:23:28
Print Post

Hatari

if you asked Talk Talk "support" what CPW stands for, they probably wouldnt have a notion.

Happy anywhere, as long as it ISNT talk talk.
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Wed 03-Feb-10 23:15:06
Print Post

No offence, but changing broadband line profiles is hardly rocket science. We were promised a long time ago that we would be able to change profiles ourselves via the TT website, but this never happened - if it had, maybe the OCEs wouldn't be so snowed under (or maybe they would be out of a job?!? wink). DLM doesn't seem to be doing a very good job, and as much as I hate BT's MaxDSL DLM, I'm sure it is yielding less support headaches compared to TT's DLM.

I wonder how much TT are paying you Jack? laugh
Standard User woweebert
(experienced) Thu 04-Feb-10 17:59:17
Print Post

Re: Pants.......total Pants, thats what Talk Talk are

you could ask Talk Talk to fix a flat bycycle tyre and they wouldnt have the savvy to do even that. a bunch of arfur daley`s in sheepskin coats willing to tell you any ole rubbish to get your signature on the dotted line and shackle you into 18 months of living hell with them. their phone "support" , dear lord, before a punter signs up , they should experience the (cough) "support" , talk about a revelatory experience !!

Dude do you live in a perpetual lope and stuck in the past , your view of TalkTalk is so outdated and retarded its unbelievable .
Tell me where else in the UK you can get a 22/1mb line on a fastpath profile with good pings ( most of the time ) for £6.99 a month .

You need to get your self updated , as posting this Troll dribble in a TalkTalk user forum , when genuinely most people are very happy with the service they get and the price they pay .
Nobody kidding them self , its not perfect , but its a dam site better than anything that's being provided over BT network by every large ISP , and only a mug would not seriously look at TalkTalk LLU with its warts and all before hooking them self up with a resold BT product .

UKonline... Premier LLU
Standard User Hatari
(member) Thu 04-Feb-10 18:00:59
Print Post

One post from today (below) i could get a lot more but really cannot be bothered.

I think the OCE's provide a great service in most cases fixing the customers problems the same day, profile changes seem to be the most common solution to customers problems and are usually fixed the day the OCE reads the thread, obviously some slip through the net but with 4.2 million customers they are going to have a steady stream of customers with teething problems as all ISP's do.

ArcBic

Thanks Nathan but leave the me on 15db

Have been connected solid for 6 half days now

Sooooo happy

And 5M down line is good enough for me

If I need more will sort it later, ta

smile The very comments in that post make me wonder why someone who is getting 5M down and the line will not support a 9dB profile. My mind asks why not, is a 15dB profile just papering over the cracks. Even here where I am hit by RF from the continent my line will happily support a 9dB profile. puzzled

I am surprised that you cannot accept the manager's word. For him to post about the backlog means it is bad and quite a few have slipped through the cracks.With the new link on the TT homepage it is going to get worse, unless something major is done. As always just my opinion smile

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Feb-10 18:05:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by woweebert:

Dude do you live in a perpetual lope and stuck in the past , your view of TalkTalk is so outdated and retarded its unbelievable .
Tell me where else in the UK you can get a 22/1mb line on a fastpath profile with good pings ( most of the time ) for £6.99 a month .

You need to get your self updated , as posting this Troll dribble in a TalkTalk user forum , when genuinely most people are very happy with the service they get and the price they pay .
Nobody kidding them self , its not perfect , but its a dam site better than anything that's being provided over BT network by every large ISP , and only a mug would not seriously look at TalkTalk LLU with its warts and all before hooking them self up with a resold BT product .

Yet again you have shot the troll down in flames. wink

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Thu 04-Feb-10 18:14:54)

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Feb-10 18:14:34
Print Post

a to get your signature on the dotted line and shackle you into 18 months of living hell with them. their phone "support"

dear lord, before a punter signs up , they should experience the (cough) "support" , talk about a revelatory experience !! ,

You seem to suggest every customer will need to use phone support and this is a reason not to join TT, i have used the forum to ask for a profile change to get the maximum speed (not because of disconnections) but have had no reason to use phone support as my connection has been fast and stable from day one, for every one post you see in the forums there are going to be hundreds if not thousands of customers who have never had to use phone support or the forum, you really do need to stop trolling here.
Standard User bilbo8
(committed) Thu 04-Feb-10 18:53:26
Print Post

Jack, how much are Talk Talk paying you ?

you are becoming a super fanboy jack , hear no evil speak no evil.

Happy anywhere, as long as it ISNT talk talk.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Feb-10 19:15:45
Print Post

Re: Jack, how much are Talk Talk paying you ?

you are becoming a super fanboy jack , hear no evil speak no evil.

Is that it, i was expecting at least two pages, I am a bit disappointed you had to resort to name calling, I guess you have nothing more to say, I think your bridge is missing you.. grin

I speak as i find from my current experience unlike you who can only refer to past experiences, if that makes me a fanboy then so be it. wink
Standard User Hatari
(member) Thu 04-Feb-10 20:41:17
Print Post

Jack, this post on TTMF could interest you:

Today, 12:22 PM

*21 Oct - signed up to TT Essentials with BB going liveLive date given as 25 Nov - Great!
*04 Nov - 'phone transferred to TalkTalk - Great!!
*30 Nov - router bundle arrives in the post - At last!
*30 Nov - router refuses to connect to the internet - Mmm??
*01 Dec - broadband not active for this account - TT technical people suggest 'phoning Customer Service.
*01 Dec Customer Service tell me that due to processing problems my line will go live for broadband in 15 working days time i.e. by 23 Dec - Grr!!
*16 Dec 19:55 GMT - Customer Service tells me that my BB will go live in 10 to 15 days. Should I believe them I wonder?
*22 Dec 15:54GMT - A week later, Customer Service tells me that my BB will go live in 10 to 14 days. Given the arithmetic should I be more or less comfortable with this latest estimate. Either way roll on sometime or other in 2010 when I might get something I ordered in October 2009.
*05 Jan 2010 - I contacted Customer Services again recently, was told that my GoLive for BB date is now the 9th January 2010, but as the 9th is a Saturday, I should be live on Friday 8th.
He tells me there is progress on my order and my "LLU is being unbundled" ?! So from this assurance given I should be able to give up accessing mobile BB in 2 or 3 days time.
What are the odds that this happens? I'll update this catalogue of shameful practice after the due date.
*08 Jan 2010 - an 8:20 call to CS. CS do not know why I am not live. The reality is that ever since November 2009, whatever they have told me was made up on the spot. They simply gave out a date sometime in the future hoping I would be satisfied. Effectively every one of the reps LIED. If they could not tell me anything factual they should have admitted this rather than make up something on the spot. Anyway, I insisted on speaking with someone who could tell me something real. They transferred me to new sales dept saying they could help track my order. New Sales said they couldn't but would put me on hold and find out what to do. About 4 minutes later the line went dead. At 8:30 I phoned technical support as a last resort (the only remaining phone no I had). Very pleasant techy type would sympathised but couldn't help. He transferred me successfully to Michelle in CS who PROMISED to find out the state of my order and contact me within 48 HOURS by phone or e-mail. You guessed it - no reply from her!
SO, my order has been "stuck" since October 2009. "Stuck" orders really deserve to be restricted to the production line in a chewing gum factory. "Stuck is really a euphemism for couldn't care less about this. If anybody at TT had cared, somebody would have already sorted out my straightforward order.

UPDATE!!!!!!!

*04 Feb 2010 - It's the 4th of February 2010 now and I'm beginning to feel more like a farmed mushroom now (kept in the dark and fed on ****) rather than my old happy self. I've never had an experience like it in all my decades of commercial dealings. Is TT for real or a deliberate joke, getting one to leave a provider then providing nothing they promised in the contract? Does anyone out there know whether I can extend any compenstion to mental health issues????

END of UPDATE!!!!!!!!

(less than 1km from a LLU Exchange, but a million miles away from using it)

Standard User Hatari
(member) Thu 04-Feb-10 20:47:58
Print Post

woweebert, I see that your ISP is not Talktalk but UKonline, so I wonder what experience you have of Talktalk support and CS.

BTW I wish I only paid £6.99 for my Talktalk service.

Standard User woweebert
(experienced) Fri 05-Feb-10 03:36:22
Print Post

upto 24mb for £18.48 a month all inclusive

I have a TalkTalk line here at my house on my mother in laws annex telephone line .

And gave a clue in this post that i help and manage other people accounts for them .

And all some pay for the ADSL part of there line with TalkTalk is £6.99 a month , i feel its very unfair to compare what you pay TalkTalk to include line rental when against other ISP you choose not to ..

I didn't say Line rental ( £11.49 a month )and phone service and was speaking about the ADSL part ( £6.99 a month ) .
But if you want to be obtuse , where can you get a phone and broadband package with speeds upto 24mb for under £18.48 a month all inclusive . ( are you going to add phone calls to your monthly costs for broadband ? )

UKonline... Premier LLU

Edited by woweebert (Fri 05-Feb-10 03:38:10)

Standard User Hatari
(member) Fri 05-Feb-10 07:43:25
Print Post

Re: upto 24mb for £18.48 a month all inclusive

I have a TalkTalk line here at my house on my mother in laws annex telephone line .

And gave a clue in this post that i help and manage other people accounts for them .

And all some pay for the ADSL part of there line with TalkTalk is £6.99 a month , i feel its very unfair to compare what you pay TalkTalk to include line rental when against other ISP you choose not to ..

I didn't say Line rental ( £11.49 a month )and phone service and was speaking about the ADSL part ( £6.99 a month ) .
But if you want to be obtuse , where can you get a phone and broadband package with speeds upto 24mb for under £18.48 a month all inclusive . ( are you going to add phone calls to your monthly costs for broadband ? )

smile You missed the point. If Talktalk is so good,why are you not with them, ?

If you could get broadband from Talktalk for just 6.99 per month, it would be well worth it, even with the problems. You can't the absolute minimum price is as you say £18.48 per month.

Like all services of this nature, so long as it works and there are no problems it is a good service. You only see the real quality of the service when things go wrong and that is where talktalk falls down badly.

Once the local exchange is upgraded to 20M, I shall be changing my ISP.

Edited by Hatari (Fri 05-Feb-10 07:45:58)

Standard User woweebert
(experienced) Fri 05-Feb-10 16:23:12
Print Post

You missed the point. If Talktalk is so good,why are you not with them, ?

If you read the terms and conditions it clearly states the TalkTalk is for domestic use only , i pay a heafty premium because my ISP is better than TalkTalk , Its a Premium ISP , whilst TalkTalk is a budget ISP .

I would not expect a budget ISP to provide as good a service as a premium ISP , because they don't charge as much .

That's why i spend £25 a month just on Internet .

As my needs would not be catered for by TalkTalk , Opal small business maybe , but not talktalk .

If you find your self on the wrong product with the wrong company that's your fault for not doing your home work on the contract you entered into .
And why in the world would you think a £6.99 LLU product would be as Good as a £25 LLU product is why your expectations are unrealistic .

For £6.99 TalkTalk provide a good service that's much better than its £6.99 price would have you believe and out performs the resold BT products on price and performance .
On support there weak , and every body knows that , well every body except you when you signed up to them .

If you wanted bells and whistle support on the TalkTalk network , you should of signed with Opal ..

UKonline... Premier LLU
Standard User XRaySpeX
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Feb-10 18:12:09
Print Post

This is getting boring. It is completely off-topic and a waste of time.

You 3 have hijacked this thread to a "TT is great .. No, it isn't ... Yes, it is ..." harangue for a whole flat page with nothing to do with OP's query. Do us all a favour and start your own thread on that subject. frown

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Feb-10 19:03:48
Print Post

Jack, this post on TTMF could interest you:

No one in this thread has said TT are perfect having said that no ISP is perfect the difference is most ISP's do not have 4.2 million customers. wink
Standard User Hatari
(member) Fri 05-Feb-10 19:07:12
Print Post

lol Jack do I sense a small amount of agreement lol

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Feb-10 19:49:45
Print Post

I think you need to get your senses checked out. wink

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Fri 05-Feb-10 19:52:09)

Standard User Hatari
(member) Fri 05-Feb-10 19:59:41
Print Post

I think you need to get your senses checked out. wink

lol They are in good shape thanks lol

Standard User ETEE
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Feb-10 22:38:10
Print Post

You missed the point. If Talktalk is so good,why are you not with them, ?

If you read the terms and conditions it clearly states the TalkTalk is for domestic use only , i pay a heafty premium because my ISP is better than TalkTalk , Its a Premium ISP , whilst TalkTalk is a budget ISP .

I would not expect a budget ISP to provide as good a service as a premium ISP , because they don't charge as much .

That's why i spend £25 a month just on Internet .

As my needs would not be catered for by TalkTalk , Opal small business maybe , but not talktalk .

If you find your self on the wrong product with the wrong company that's your fault for not doing your home work on the contract you entered into .
And why in the world would you think a £6.99 LLU product would be as Good as a £25 LLU product is why your expectations are unrealistic .

For £6.99 TalkTalk provide a good service that's much better than its £6.99 price would have you believe and out performs the resold BT products on price and performance .
On support there weak , and every body knows that , well every body except you when you signed up to them .

If you wanted bells and whistle support on the TalkTalk network , you should of signed with Opal ..

That is exactly right and it's amazing how many people don't realise that you don't get something for nothing. The price of cheap BB is poor phone support and TT have not ever changed since they started LLU. I also get surprised by the number of small businesses that rely on a TT LLU connection. TT is simply not suitable for a business broadband service; it wasn't set up to be and never will be. Those that do rely on it risk their livelihoods, when the correct product is of course a business service with fast fault resolution and guaranteed service.

ETEE

Standard User CanineKiller
(learned) Sat 20-Mar-10 20:22:43
Print Post

So you are breaching copyright Hatari, by copying and pasting other peoples posts from the TalkTalk Forum ?
After all that is one of the things that you bang on about in your wee forum to your members is that posts on the forum are not to be copied outside the forum, as it breaches copyright.

Pot - Kettle - black springs to mind. Maybe you should take note of your own rants and rules

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most
TalkTalk Free broadband 2.9 Meg @ over 6 Kms from exchange
Great
(newbie) Sat 20-Nov-10 18:48:15
Print Post

Thought I would give an update given that 11 months have passed since I set my charity client up with TalkTalk broadband.

I had not really been in touch with him for a number of months (after I got it set up for him), so I happened to be going down his street today so stopped in. First of all, he is still alive (that sort of surprised me - he's in pretty bad shape). Anyway, he apparently stopped paying TallkTalk some time back and they threatened to disconnect him - some sort of dispute over billing (maybe it was the cost of "migrating" which we never wanted - but I didn't get into that becuase it was obvious that the relationship with TalkTalk had soured badly). Anyway, TalkTalk was dunning him for £216 or thereabouts and so he got got somebody else to take over the service (got a new number as well - this time at his request). He says TalkTalk started calling him "every five minutes" on his mobile phone demanding payment, claiming they would take him to court etc etc (he told them, "I'm a pensioner, not the Prime Minister") - so he had his mobile phone number changed and he now lives in peace. I did not get into what happened with TalkTalk - that's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned (I think it may have been over their charging him for migrating him/sendng an "engineer" out and the engineer didn't have to do anything, so he stopped paying his bill). Actually, I think the whole thing is funny in hindsight. I asked him if he wanted his old router - he said, "No, take it".

The banking market is turning around, so I hope to get a job in banking again - this computer work doesn't pay - it's satisfying and I enjoy the challenge, but one can't make a decent living doing this.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Nov-10 23:39:59
Print Post

Em x,

You are clueless. I am Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer -

And that qualifies you as a broadband/telecoms expert how?

Sometimes, as frustrating as customer support can be, having the wrong attitude and making assumptions just makes things worse.

Edited by Pipexer (Sat 20-Nov-10 23:41:24)

(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Nov-10 11:02:10
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

having the wrong attitude and making assumptions just makes things worse.

If he took the b out of his username and replaced it with a w it would be far more fitting. grin
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Nov-10 11:27:38
Print Post

Do you really think this Minimum wage guy as you refer to him has the ultimate responsibility. No good bashing the phone bashers. Also refering to your clients as charity cases is just rude, if you was my employee i'd sack you

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
(newbie) Sun 21-Nov-10 19:51:59
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

Obviously I have underestimated the level of residual bad feelings on this topic. I acknowledge your anger. But, really, I am satisfied with the outcome. What I thought was funny was that by the time I checked back in with my charity client, he had already pulled the plug himself on TalkTalk.

As for being offended by the term "charity case", it simply indicates that you are bigoted, krazykizza. You're no different from someone who looks down on people with mental problems. That is your problem, not mine and not my client's. As he himself is the first to point out (and pointed it out to TalkTalk), he's in an NHS flat and his only source of income is the government, so he objected to TalkTalk charging for something which he didn't need nor ordered. I simply wanted it known that this was not a paying client, that it was charity work that I was doing. As for the rest, it is TalkTalk's problem that they don't trust their employees to make outgoing phone calls. At the end of the day, TalkTalk lost in all this - not just the £216 - but there were obviously set-up costs, administrative costs (the router probably only cost them a pound or so, I figure).

No, this case ended up exactly where I thought it would - although I wasn't the one that ended up pulling the plug on TalkTalk - LOL - but I warned it would happen - I just thought it was funny that my charity client was the one who pulled the plug on TalkTalk, not me. As for TalkTalk bothering him continuosly for payment - and they knew he was a charity case, an NHS patient - I think it is reprehensible that they sat there and threatened him - not that it mattered - we both know that utility companies don't sue over £216 - but in any event, my client viewed it as sport, and also said, "I'm going to be dead in a year anyway so let them yap away".

Overall, I think the final outcome is acceptable, and I hope everyone else does too.

Edited by investmentbanker (Sun 21-Nov-10 19:55:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Nov-10 23:31:49
Print Post

To say I am not surprised an ISP pursued a debt when someone cancels payment is an understatement.

If I cancel my electricity direct debit I cannpt expect them to continue providing power, they may pursue and insist on fitting a pre-payment meter i.e. what is requried under law.

So much of the tale does not make sense or is missing it is impossible to know what has really happened. It may be a series of misunderstandings from a number of parties.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Sat 22-Jan-11 22:34:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is a moot point now. Michael McCarthy (that was his name) died on 11 December 2010.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Jan-11 22:57:08
Print Post

It is a moot point now. Michael McCarthy (that was his name) died on 11 December 2010.
How much did he pay you?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 22-Jan-11 23:18:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You've been warned before about your abrasive attitude towards other posters, and that comment is way out of order.

Take a break to think about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM

Edited by billford (Sat 22-Jan-11 23:22:07)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Sat 22-Jan-11 23:23:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Nothing. He was always a charity case. I didn't even get the computer back that I supplied him.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to