User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Tue 26-Jan-10 12:01:26
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk now automatically changes your telephone number

[re: investmentbanker] [link to this post]

Hi Investmentbanker,

TalkTalk do not issue new telephone numbers nor do we send an engineer for anything other than a new line instalation. It sounds to me as if you have called the new line instalations team to set up the service for your friend rather than a migration of a service from another provider. Migrations from another provider on an active line do not result in a new telephone number being allocated to a line.

The gent you have spoken to in customer services/technical support is right to not offer any account specific information to a none account holder. This is a breach of data protection law and if you have given the customers details during the account checks this is fraud. Discussing further details with you regarding the account would have serious implications for the advisor concerned. DPA breaches can result in a 5 year sentence and hefty fines for both yourself and the advisor therefore he was acting in your best interests. I would also recommend you avoid referring to tech support advisors as "some minimum wage guy" - you may find some believe this is offensive and insulting.

Cheers
Em x

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User investmentbanker
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-10 13:12:07
Print Post

[re: TALKTALK_SUPPORT] [link to this post]

Em x,

You are clueless. I am Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - I did not make the mistake of migrating anything - I simply called 0800-049-1054 and requested new service (by the way, I told them I was the account holder - he had given me all of his personal information and gave me permission to do it (he doesn't even know how to hold a mouse - he started twiddling the rollerball on the bottom with his thumb until I told him he had to roll it around on a mousepad - he couldn't have ordered internet service with TalkTalk by himself - he doesn't even know what the internet is). All he ever had was BT telephone service. By the way, he is a charity case - my church asked me to set him up with the internet so that he can at least have something to do other than watch TV for the last year of his life while he is dying.

You are particularly clueless when you suggest that the TalkTalk rep was acting in my best interests, or that I was risking anything with what I did - I had permission from the account holder to do what I did - I could not have been prosecuted (it's laughable what you wrote). The problem is that YOUR rep CANNOT CALL OUT. LOL. Granted, I understand your rep's position when I finally told him that I was the account holder's computer technician. But do you have any idea why I did it that way??? Because I knew that the TalkTalk rep didn't have access or ability to dial out to confirm that I was acting on behalf of the account holder - thus if I had told hm from the get-go that I was not the account holder, he would have said, "I cannot talk to you, and I also cannot call the account holder to confirm that you act for him". Great. NOW do you know why I did it the way I did???

I guess I have to ask, "Why doesn't TalkTalk trust it's own employees with having an outgoing telephone on their desk???" In all my years of banking, every single employee, down to the lowest secretary - even the front desk clerk - had an outgoing telephone in front of them - and we never checked the register of calls they made.

Yes, it appears that my characterisation of the TalkTalk rep as a "minimum wage clerk" is apt and correct - appears to be spot-on given the way that we know that TalkTalk treats its reps, i.e. doesn't trust them to do their work rather than sit and yak to their friends all day. We never had that problem in banking - know why? - because we treated them well and motivated them - obviously TalkTalk has a problem in this regard with their employees - at least their telephone reps.

You might not LIKE my characterisation of TalkTalk reps as "minimum wage clerks" - but as the old saying goes, "If the shoe fits, wear it."

By the way, it now turns out that, because TalkTalk changed the telephone number on their own bat, it will now take another six weeks before the line can be made live for broadband. Therefore, we have decided to let TalkTalk bring it live, send out the router, and we will go for an immediate disconnect and go to another ISP.

Thank you so much - you have really done a great job as a TalkTalk rep to resolve this situation. You know how we would have handled this in banking??? If I had been you, I would have sent me a private message and gotten this particular customer's problem resolved - he's a charity case, for God's sake - he's dying.

I have done some more investigating, and I have found out some more information. For some reason, TalkTalk's records apparently showed that the customer's line was a "cable" telephone line. This in fact was incorrect information - the guy has never had cable - he has just been watching the 5 channels over the airwaves. I think this is why TalkTalk decided ON THEIR OWN BAT to change the guy's telephone number. By the way, this is research that YOU should have done after contacting me by private message. But you didn't. So TalkTalk gets another immediate disconnect after installation and delivery of the router. Thanks so much. You are exactly the sort of employee that I would want to represent me if you worked for me in banking.

Edited by investmentbanker (Tue 26-Jan-10 13:25:09)

(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-10 13:56:15
Print Post

[re: TALKTALK_SUPPORT] [link to this post]

Yes, I have been doing some more research and it appears that it IS TalkTalk's fault. TalkTalk have confirmed that their records indicated that the telephone line in the flat (it's an NHS flat - an NHS building, in fact) was a "cable telephone line". This was not true - it was a BT line (he has never had cable TV - can't afford it - just watches the 5 channels all day, 365 days a year - he's almost bedridden). Now, true, it may be that the information that TalkTalk has simply comes from BT - but that's not my client's fault.

Now it gets worse - I've just had somebody in the business tell me that, because TalkTalk actually had to send out an "engineer" (I used that term loosely), TalkTalk will bill my client £29.99 for a site visit. Now this absolutely necessitates our directing an immediate disconnection upon the line going live - neither I nor my church will put up with sticking this charity case (again, he's dying) with a £30 bill simply because of some bureaucratic screwup in TalkTalk's records (whether it comes from BT or who knows where - obviously it didn't come me or my client).

Again, If I had been you, "Em x", I would have contacted me by private mail and gotten this sorted out. As we have now found out, it is NOT my client's fault (nor mine). And the situation where TalkTalk reps cannot call out to confirm that a computer technician is acting for them is ridiculous. It's a ridiculous company. Now I know where their reputation comes from.

If you had contacted me by private email and sorted this out, you could have had me post a message saying that TalkTalk was lovely and sorted this out and that it was caused by bad data being passed to TalkTalk by BT. But that's not the way it worked out, is it. You seem to forget that I am the customer, not you. If you don't like my tone in any of my posts, it is because TalkTalk has been shafting a CHARITY CASE (I told the rep that numerous times - if he had had any brains, he would have referred it to his supervisor and said, "Look this is a charity case - I can't call them - can you handle it?).

Edited by investmentbanker (Tue 26-Jan-10 13:58:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jack_Hackett
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-10 17:50:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by investmentbanker:
Em x,

You are clueless.

When you decide to take the hotel size chip off your shoulder one of the OCE's may decide to help further, personally i would tell you to get ******.

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Tue 26-Jan-10 17:52:47)

Standard User sean_r
(regular) Tue 26-Jan-10 18:16:25
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:
Em x,

You are clueless.

When you decide to take the hotel size chip off your shoulder one of the OCE's may decide to help further, personally i would tell you to get ******.

Could not agree with you more jack_Hackett.

Next thing you'll know, Mr Banker will be blaming TT for the state his industry has left the economey in. For which we all have to now pay for, while they still get their bonuses.

Sean
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-10 18:42:37
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:
personally i would tell you to get ******.

No, that's what we're going to tell TalkTalk the day after the line goes live.

They have my contact number to call - and I am sure they will call when we order a disconnect the day after the line goes live (if they call the dying man, he will simply refer them to me), at which point I will ask the TalkTalk person how he is able to contact me/how is he able to dial out - and I will explain to him/her that that alone was one of the huge stumbling blocks in this. But by that time it will be too late because I will have ordered service from another ISP. What is really irritating is that, because of what TalkTalk did - changed the number on their own bat - we now have to wait until 16 February until the line can be made live for broadband.

An additional consideration will be given to speaking at the same time the TalkTalk person speaks - like the minimum wage TalkTalk rep did with me. I think I'm going to have some fun with this - I'll just wait until the TalkTalk person starts speaking and then I'll start speaking - and when he/she stops speaking, I will stop speaking - and then when he/she starts speaking again, I will start speaking again. What a lovely culture the firm must have.

P.S.--I probably never should have named my pseudonym "investment banker" - I see that has ignited a firestorm of resentments. No doubt more posters will post to Jack Hackett along the lines "RIGHT ON, BROTHER! I'M WITH YOU!!!!"

Edited by investmentbanker (Tue 26-Jan-10 18:45:34)

Standard User Jack_Hackett
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-10 18:51:04
Print Post

No, that's what we're going to tell TalkTalk the day after the line goes live.

With 4.2 million customers I doubt they will lose any sleep.

P.S.--I probably never should have named my pseudonym "investment banker" - I see that has ignited a firestorm of resentments.

Its not your name that's got peoples backs up its the fact you are a gob [censored].

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Tue 26-Jan-10 18:51:24)

Standard User matthewlowry88
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jan-10 01:42:11
Print Post

Em x,

You are clueless. I am Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - I did not make the mistake of migrating anything...

Sorry mate, but I wouldn't want to help a person who was that rude to me. Believe it or not, Em the TalkTalk representative was trying to help you and I agree completely with her when she suggests that referring to the customer service representative as "some minimum wage guy" could be insulting. Imagine if you were working as a call centre representative, and working hard every day and then came online just to find that you and your colleagues at the call centre were being referred to so demeaningly. Do you treat everyone who gets paid less than yourself with such resentment?

Actually, scrap that, you probably couldn't imagine that because you can't come down to any one else's level. Probably best to get off your high horse before going any further.

I hope you get the problem sorted, but I wouldn't blame them to not want to help if you stick with that attitude.

Good luck,

matt wink

> Sky Broadband - Mid 8MBit Customer [Home]

Edited by matthewlowry88 (Wed 27-Jan-10 01:46:12)

(newbie) Wed 27-Jan-10 06:32:31
Print Post

[re: matthewlowry88] [link to this post]

Do I treat everybody like that? No, the whole thing went pear-shaped when it became clear that there was no possible resolution to the matter. TalkTalk changed the telephone number on their own bat. When I called up TalkTalk, they said it had to be done because it was a cable telephone line. I told them it was a BT line. Doesn't matter, they say it is a cable line and that's that. As for my doing it the way I did - telling them I was the account holder - I only did that because (1) I had permission to do so, and (2) I didn't want to go through the riggamarole of going taking the time for TalkTalk to verify that I had permission. And then I was gobsmacked when I found out that TalkTalk couldn't verify it in any case because they didn't trust their employees not to gab on the phone to their friends all day (shows how much trust TalkTalk has in their employees). At that point, the whole thing became circular, i.e. TalkTalk is not set up to resolve issues like this. The only time I was ever able to get communication back from TalkTalk was . . . . . . . the TalkTalk representative came on line on this forum and posted to me.

One of the root problems in this is that TalkTalk has not provided its telephone reps with the ability to resolve some very basic issues - for example, being able to verify that a computer technician is acting on the account holder's behalf. But that is a trust issue between TalkTalk and its employees.

I guess if you really want to know what set my rocket off, it was that TalkTalk didn't have the ability to even communicate with me on my charity client's account - it was simply a case of, "You're not the account holder, we cannot talk to you, and we don't know how to contact the account holder - they don't allow us to - sorry, there is nothing that we can do for you". Oh, except that that is a sugared-up version of what the guy said - he was extremely rude to me when I identified who I was. Oh, and he kept insisting on some lie that "Unless you state at the time of ordering the service that you want to keep the same telephone number, TalkTalk will change it". Yes, he's a minimum wage clerk. And he probably wonders why he's in the job he's in.

Finally, I would point out that there has been no attempt to resolve this from TalkTalk's side - my client has not received even a cursory telephone call from them - and TalkTalk has it in their records that somebody called up masquerading as the account holder. I still don't know how to resolve this. I really don't. TalkTalk has changed the guy's number on their own bat, is scheduled to charge their charity case customer £30 for it, and we cannot communicate with TalkTalk. I really have no alternative than just blow them off after the line goes live.

I know they have 4.2 million customers. We all know what happened when they first rolled out the service a number years ago and attracted large numbers of customers . . . . . . but were unable to provide the service. A lot of people said they should have been prosecuted for consumer fraud.

Personally, I use BT, and for some reason, we seem to get along just fine.

Edited by investmentbanker (Wed 27-Jan-10 06:39:39)

Standard User lenaspell
(member) Wed 27-Jan-10 08:55:07
Print Post

I understand your frustration and no doubt that TT have made a number of errors along the way. However your attitude and approach has not helped resolve the issue one iota.

You come across as patronising and arrogant and you seem to blame the people for the Company's processes and procedures. You are rude and personally insulting without actually understanding anything about their background. They might well be paid less than you and not have the experience of life that you have had but that does not mean they are not intelligent nor do I suspect they attend work each day with the view 'I wonder how many people I can upset today'

I too worked in banking for over 36 years and for most of that time employees were treated with respect and they were allowed to use their initiative and as they got more experienced were given greater levels of authority to commit the organisation. Now they too seem more process driven and certainly have much more of a tick box mentality. Also during my many years I came across many arrogant investment bankers that took the view that ordinary mortals were there to wipe their shoes - it seems likely from your posts and rantings that you belonged in that camp.

I doubt Em is clueless and if you had been pleasant might well have found someone with whom you could have dealt to get this resolved. I do hope that it is resolved for the old gentleman's benefit in his final years of life rather than for your benefit and I do hope that TT can try and put aside your rudeness and unnecessary unpleasantness to deal with the issue. But at present you are not helping one bit despite all your years experience and qualifications.

Something to ponder over perhaps.

Len

Zen 8000 Active. Netgear DGN2000 Router.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit ; Windows XP Pro SP3 and iMac 9.1 and MacBook both running Snow Leopard smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to