User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paul25
(newbie) Thu 19-Aug-10 18:03:59
Print Post

Re: TT Stalking

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

NO have a read http://www.ico.gov.uk/home/what_we_cover/freedom_of_...
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Aug-10 18:53:39
Print Post

[re: Idiotboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Idiotboy:
In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:
cus i like to

How strange. crazy

And you're trying to change the subject because...?

Idiotboy I think your user-name suits you. tongue

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Thu 19-Aug-10 18:55:41)

Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Aug-10 20:14:35
Print Post

[re: paul25] [link to this post]

Did not mention a act past by parliament , i asked if that was " freedom of information "

But i take your answear of NO ! as that was really the only answer that could be given under the circumstances .

And not the freedom im looking for .

UKonline... Premier LLU

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User user101
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Aug-10 20:16:15
Print Post

[re: paul25] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by paul25:
But if you dont want to register that is your choice and rightly so .

to maintain the site's security if you are not a member you will need to register to read the thread, all you need to register is a valid email address and username.

That makes about as much sense as TT's

We are developing some really exciting new security and parental control services

If the 'Stalker' is attempting access using Session IDs, then surely the readers would be safer reading the pages in the open forum, since not being members, there would be no requirement to login.
If you haven't got an account, then it can't be compromised lol

clearly moving it back into the closed forum is not to prevent the 'Stalker' since 'you' say you were aware of that back in May and only closed the forum when site traffic increased (raising suspicions that there might be other reasons).

If it was done to prevent TT receiving copies by other means, then that's nigh on impossible to achieve, i'm sure you'll agree..
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Aug-10 20:26:18
Print Post

[re: user101] [link to this post]

Very eloquently put ..... nice to see others as unimpressed by this as i am

UKonline... Premier LLU
Standard User paul25
(newbie) Thu 19-Aug-10 20:59:00
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woweebert:
Very eloquently put ..... nice to see others as unimpressed by this as i am

No choice given on that they just did it till they were found out . Phoenix give you a choice sign up or dont . TT just did it FACT .COMPREHEND It is hard work with some folk .
No further comment as you have your views and i have mine Bye .

Edited by paul25 (Thu 19-Aug-10 21:01:10)

Standard User Hatari
(member) Fri 20-Aug-10 07:58:59
Print Post

Oh you poor woweebert lol

The link on the first post works perfectly OK.

The latest on the Talktalk monitoring topic are copies of emails from Talktalk's General Counsel Residential on the 19th August.and my reply.

Yep you do have to have a login and that is easy all you need is a valid email address and username.

Interesting that woweebert is unable to make the link in the first post work. Works perfectly well for me. Maybe he is not such a fountain of knowledge as he thinks he is.

user101's knowledge or lack of it shows, even guests have a session ID so from that aspect it is more secure behind a login.

For others a link at this end of the topic
http://www.the-phoenix-broadband-advice-community.co...

Standard User user101
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Aug-10 08:57:23
Print Post

[re: Hatari] [link to this post]

Oh you poor woweebert lol HUH????

First off, i should say that you had my support up until the point your forum became closed to public viewing
and let's not forget that this thread was started with a link to an open forum but became closed at a later stage.

So the link on the first post works Ok?

That's misleading! If you are applying that sort of logic to your other problems, such as copyright, then i can see why you might have some problems.

The link on the first post works Ok only in the sense that if you click on it then you arrive somewhere.

The fact is that where you arrive might not be what was expected, so perhaps the link should be amended to warn people that forum registration/membership will be required!!

and Session IDs are utterly irrelevant for someone just browsing/reading the pages on the forum, to suggest this makes it more secure for 'anonymous' reading is again misleading.

this thread has become a bit of a 'dead parrot' so to put it back on track,

are you fighting the right battle? (as far as ordinary TT users are concerned)

It appears, and i can't be sure, but reading through this thread, you seem to be only concerned with copyright and bandwidth usage issues, i.e issues directly affecting your website.

There is another side to this which, for me, would be much more important, especially to all TT users.
That's using a Chinese company to store and process user's browsing data. Isn't that the same company that's upgrading the 'Great Firewall of China'?

Data processing is something they're clearly very good at. Although TT have stated the intention is for anonymous browsing, there are methods to make it less so, could the Chinese be trusted to handle that sort of data?
If they have no concerns about using DPI technology against their own people, why would they treat TT users any differently?
Standard User Hatari
(member) Fri 20-Aug-10 09:31:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by user101:
Oh you poor woweebert lol HUH????

First off, i should say that you had my support up until the point your forum became closed to public viewing
and let's not forget that this thread was started with a link to an open forum but became closed at a later stage.

So the link on the first post works Ok?

That's misleading! If you are applying that sort of logic to your other problems, such as copyright, then i can see why you might have some problems.

The link on the first post works Ok only in the sense that if you click on it then you arrive somewhere.

The fact is that where you arrive might not be what was expected, so perhaps the link should be amended to warn people that forum registration/membership will be required!!

and Session IDs are utterly irrelevant for someone just browsing/reading the pages on the forum, to suggest this makes it more secure for 'anonymous' reading is again misleading.

this thread has become a bit of a 'dead parrot' so to put it back on track,

are you fighting the right battle? (as far as ordinary TT users are concerned)

It appears, and i can't be sure, but reading through this thread, you seem to be only concerned with copyright and bandwidth usage issues, i.e issues directly affecting your website.

There is another side to this which, for me, would be much more important, especially to all TT users.
That's using a Chinese company to store and process user's browsing data. Isn't that the same company that's upgrading the 'Great Firewall of China'?

Data processing is something they're clearly very good at. Although TT have stated the intention is for anonymous browsing, there are methods to make it less so, could the Chinese be trusted to handle that sort of data?
If they have no concerns about using DPI technology against their own people, why would they treat TT users any differently?

I don't know how informed or otherwise you are on the laws that govern what TT is believed to be doing at the TT customer end and how difficult it is for the public to successfully deal with cases in that area, BTW I am a TT customer. Now the other end of the problem is that for it all to work access is needed to websites. The case that I am fighting is not about copyright, it is about the right of a website owner to get bills for for accessing a website paid by a commercial organisation.

Edited by Hatari (Fri 20-Aug-10 09:35:13)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Aug-10 10:17:19
Print Post

[re: Hatari] [link to this post]

Sites commonly block IP ranges for people/services they do not want accessing their site, perhaps time to talk to your hosting company.

it is about the right of a website owner to get bills for for accessing a website paid by a commercial organisation.

So which sites already do this?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to