User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 16-Dec-10 22:14:51
Print Post

very poor download speed

[link to this post]

hi ,my talktalk llu connection went live today,checked my router stats ,synching at 8.7 meg great i thought,ran a speedtest 1.8 meg download speed !! ran a load more all averaged out around 2meg !! not happy,i,m connected via the master socket,netgear dgn 2000 router,all router settings are correct,rang talktalk ,managed to get an english tech guy spent the next 1.5 hours doing various tests ,changing router settings etc ,no difference whatsoever , i,ve not recieved the router that was sent to me,the tech guy ordered a new one for me and wants to do some final tests with that one, however my mate also joined tt around a month ago ,i went round his house ,hes synching at 16 meg ,but getting the same download speeds as me !!! (same exchange ),i borrowed his tt router (d link 2680) connected it up exactly the same speed(or lack of !!) now what i have noticed is the the speedtests are all very inconsistant ,erratic ie the needle is all over the place,now my gut feeling is theres a problem at the exchange,nothing is showing up on tt website,or there something set incorectly somewhere,as it does seem like the speed is being held up for want of a better word,does anyone have any ideas,before i cancel my contract .many thanks
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 16-Dec-10 22:35:31
Print Post

Re: very poor download speed

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

can you post your stats sir
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 16-Dec-10 22:42:48
Print Post

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7177 kbps 1015 kbps
Line Attenuation 44.0 db 23.0 db
Noise Margin 9.2 db 8.8 db there you go mate,line rate dropped as i,ve been messing about with routers etc tonight

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Dec-10 14:03:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by webb:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7177 kbps 1015 kbps
Line Attenuation 44.0 db 23.0 db
Noise Margin 9.2 db 8.8 db there you go mate,line rate dropped as i,ve been messing about with routers etc tonight

Here you go - http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1426/eeeeeeeeeee.png

You could try the TT forum paste your OP and ask if its worth trying a profile change.

Try this test and post your results - http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Fri 17-Dec-10 14:09:30)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 17-Dec-10 14:20:26
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1074449894.png[/IMG] my problem is not my connection speed its my download speed ,its rubbish ,i,m in the test socket etc ,spent over an hor on the phone to a guy from talktalk yesterday ,hes calling me again shortly
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Fri 17-Dec-10 15:59:09
Print Post

How are you testing your download speed though - did you try the TalkTalk speed test? This is generally the best to use as it's on the TT network, whilst other testers are external and may be subject to network congestion. Also, which exchange are you on? (could be a congested exchange)
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 17-Dec-10 19:16:39
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

well the promised phonecall from tech guy never came ,my exchange is sedgefield ,i mentioned that i thought it may be congestion,he said it wouldnt be,i did around 15 speed tests today on talktalk forums ,averaged out at just over 2 meg,my mate is also on tt (same exchange) he connects at 16 meg,his speedtest results are the same as mine (checked last night)so for me its got to be the exchange,as far as i,m aware its only had tt llu in for around 2 months,so if its congestion its a very poor future for that exchange and one that i,m not going to be part of,as an example up until the 16/12/2010 i was with zen adsl2 ,synching at around 7.1 meg and downloading at 5.75 24/7 at the same exchange,yes i did read all the warnings about talktalk,just figured as long as i had a good connection then i wouldnt need to even contact them !!!!
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Dec-10 19:31:48
Print Post

well the promised phonecall from tech guy never came ,my exchange is sedgefield

I have checked the TT exchange status page and it is showing no problems for SEDGEFIELD (NESFE)

Have you tried speed tests after midnight when the exchange should be a lot quieter than at peak time?

I also noticed the http://www.speedtest.net/index.php site result quoted Morecambe as the test server, I always get slow results to that server ( i am in south Cumbria so it chooses that as default) try the one a t Maidenhead and post back.

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Fri 17-Dec-10 19:36:18)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 17-Dec-10 19:35:13
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

soo where do i go from here jack ,synching at 8.7 mg right now ,just ran a speedtest on tt forum ,0.78 meg !!!i know for certain theres nothing wrong at my end
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Dec-10 19:37:14
Print Post

soo where do i go from here jack ,synching at 8.7 mg right now ,just ran a speedtest on tt forum ,0.78 meg !!!i know for certain theres nothing wrong at my end

Ive edited my last post we must have X posted, try the Maidenhead server. wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to