User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User webb
(learned) Fri 17-Dec-10 19:42:44
Print Post

Re: very poor download speed

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1074843274.png there you go jack
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Sat 18-Dec-10 10:01:21
Print Post

[re: webb] [link to this post]

I suggest you register and report this at the TT member forums. Seems pretty clear it is an issue at the exchange and/or further up the backhaul, especially seeing as your mate is getting the same speed test results. As Jack says, the exchange checker on the website is showing no issues, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. TT should be able to give you more information on the forums if the issue, and if it isn't already flagged up they should be able to investigate it for you. Avoid the telephone support.
Standard User webb
(learned) Sat 18-Dec-10 10:39:01
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

hi mate i reported this on the forums on thursday ,not got a reply off anyone yet ,i took matters in my own hands and have an engineer comming on tuesday,he will basically check my internall wiring etc ,if no fault found he will sign it off as ok ,and it will be passed over to openreach,IF a fault is found internally he will repair it and it will cost me £29.99,i,m very confident theres nothing wrong with my setup,by the way its level 2 support whos sending the engineer out ,this was easily achieved by going through to the cancellation department !!if this issue is passed on to openreach i,m going to request an extension to the 30 day cancellation period to cover my ass,thanks for the replys guys

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Dec-10 10:51:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by webb:
it will cost me £29.99

Are you sure its only £29, I was under the impression it was a lot more than that.
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Sat 18-Dec-10 10:59:38
Print Post

That would be £29.99 for a Qube engineer which is who TT have sent out - of course, it would be more like £200 if it were at BT Openreach engineer. Assuming the slow speeds are happening on a wired connection (and not just wifi), then it is pretty much a waste of time sending a Qube engineer, but I suppose TT need to verify where the problem lies. It will be an even bigger waste of time and money if they decide to send a BT Openreach engineer out next, because it is probably related to the TT equipment at the exchange or the backhaul. Hopefully a reply will come on the TTMF because in the past they've easily identified these issues, although I'm not sure what they're like more recently.
Standard User webb
(learned) Sat 18-Dec-10 11:01:17
Print Post

yes i initailly said that there was no way i was going to pay the £100 plus charges that i,ve seen bandied about,he catagorically stated it would be £29.99 ,now whether they are using 3rd party enginners i dont know ,but one thing is certain,this service is to be signed for upon completion,and there is no way that i,m signing for something i,m not happy with !!!
Standard User Hatari
(member) Sat 18-Dec-10 11:01:26
Print Post

Hi,

Can't see any mention in the topic of:

How are you connected from the router to the computer, wireless, ethernet or homeplugs?

What Operating system are you using?

What is the MTU set to in the router?

What is the MTU set to in the Computer?

Standard User webb
(learned) Sat 18-Dec-10 11:13:51
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

yes its happening on wifi and wired,the guy even stated i,m only passing around 2 meg on the line test he did,he basically said that he had to send this engineer out before he could escalate it to openreach,he also stated that if my house is signed off as ok ,there would be no further charges at any point to me,i,m 100 % certain there not a problem at my end,i did question why openreach had to look at the exchange when its talktalks equipment in there !!my home wiring is basically it comes in from outside,into the first conection box,then runs directly into my living room to test socket , no extensions,1 telephone and router connected into microfilter directly into test socket ,where its been for the last 4 years,the router is a 3 week old netgear dgn 2000 ,i also have an older dgn2000 ,and also borowed my mates talktalk d link 2680 all gave exactly the same readings,,its a new microfilter ,and i,ve even put a new belkin high speed modem cable in,up until thursday ,i was with zen and even though my connection speed was lower i was downloading at a constant 5.75 meg 24/7
Standard User webb
(learned) Sat 18-Dec-10 11:18:32
Print Post

[re: Hatari] [link to this post]

im connected wirelessly at the moment to a brand new imac ,i,ve ran it via ethernet to my imac and to a high spec dell laptop with no difference in speeds,i,m running mtu at 1400 at the moment on the advise of the talktalk support ,i,v e been on neraly every setting betweebn 1500 _1360 no difference at all,my post is on talktalk forums,i,m using windows 7 pro on the laptop,snow leopard on the imac,bootcamp with win 7 pro also on mac
Standard User Hatari
(member) Sat 18-Dec-10 11:38:03
Print Post

My mind is wondering what the MTU is on the PC, with 1400 on the router if the PC is set at say 1500 then it will cause problems at the router.

Also have you check the setting on W7. I would suggest you have a look at Vista/W7 tweaks

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to