User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User webb
(regular) Wed 12-Jan-11 20:46:05
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk LLU - any good?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

no problem mate !!
Standard User gazzthompson
(newbie) Thu 13-Jan-11 09:45:07
Print Post

[re: webb] [link to this post]

Sales rep said something about 50 day trial, any time before then i can leave? is this true?
Standard User webb
(regular) Thu 13-Jan-11 09:46:32
Print Post

[re: gazzthompson] [link to this post]

no mate its 30 day trial

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jan-11 09:52:29
Print Post

If your not planning on doing P2P then you should be fine provided your a modest user.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jan-11 09:53:48
Print Post

If your not happy at the end of 30 days you can leave penalty free

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jan-11 13:00:52
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by krazykizza:
If your not happy at the end of 30 days you can leave penalty free

be wary of this, it easy to join or sign up but very very hard to get it cancel. They don't always update on their system of cancel request from customers. The phone number to cancel is worse nightmare went through to indian call centres, they can't cancel it over in India. They kept telling you to try different department, just flob you off.

Edited by adslmax (Thu 13-Jan-11 13:02:20)

Standard User brush
(newbie) Thu 13-Jan-11 19:36:10
Print Post

TT is a mixed bag. I've been with them for 20 months & am now moving to Virgin (Cable). Main issues are: telephone technical support is based in India somewhere (there may be a UK number but I've not found it). There is a very good UK based support forum (TalkTalk members & you can even join it without being a customer). The TT people are straight office hours Mon-Fri. There are number of very helpful & knowledgeable end users who also seem act in a semi- admin capacity when the TT people aren't there.
I've had speeds up 16Mbps, normally around 12-13Mbps. The past 6 weeks it's been down around 6-2Mbps with a load of dropped connections.
The longest continuous connection I've had is around 21 days.
I think my problems are in part related to the antique copper provided by BT, the requirements of ADSL2+ and recent changes to the TT line management (DLM), oh & the weather! When it rains there's a load of noise in my phone & the line drops. I'm only 2K feet from the exchange by wire (my old router from previous UKOnline LLU service was able to report on the length of wire to the Xchange).
Although it will cost me more moving to VM, I talked to a couple of neighbours & they have no issues & have been with VM for years now. I just want to get away from the vagaries of copper tail circuits.
If you've got good connections from your existing provider, you'll probably be OK at least to begin with. That 30 days "trial" period is naff. But it's the industry norm.
If you decide to move, and it works well for a lot of people, *and* you're sure about the quality of your telephone line you'll be OK.
Good Luck.

Edited by brush (Thu 13-Jan-11 19:38:46)

Standard User NationsurfUK
(newbie) Fri 21-Jan-11 21:19:26
Print Post

[re: brush] [link to this post]

We've been using a Opal based LLU for sometime now and its been ok. We've had solid 17.5Mbps at around 21.5db looploss @ 9db SNR. It's always line speed and for the price, its quite remarkable.

Their support and billing are the only bad factor.
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Jan-11 21:21:15
Print Post

[re: NationsurfUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NationsurfUK:
We've been using a Opal based LLU for sometime now and its been ok. We've had solid 17.5Mbps at around 21.5db looploss @ 9db SNR. It's always line speed and for the price, its quite remarkable.

You only just join in, give it a week then it will be going downhills in speed and lots of disconnections. You wait and see. Talktalk are no good.
Standard User brush
(newbie) Fri 21-Jan-11 21:45:23
Print Post

[re: NationsurfUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NationsurfUK:

That's good. As I said, ADSL Max (ADSL2+) is stretching the envelope of the copper infrastructure. If there is any weakness at all in those physical connections, that's when you get problems. Nasty connections will test the line management systems an ISP runs, plus if the support is bad or mediocre then that adds to the issues.
Funny, when I first began using BB about 10-12 years ago, we were paying £30 per month for 512Kbytes!
Virgin installed my 10Mb service today. Small glitch with the 'phone switchover (no incoming calls for around 3.5 hours) but after a call to support (somewhere overseas but they were good & called me back on my mobile (not Virgin) & made further checks in a 20 min+ call. Engineer called me 10 mins later to say there'd been a glitch with the computer systems that switch things over but now all should be OK.
Speeds are good, but latency awful (although I'll need to check that out via Ethernet & see how it settles).
The router seems awesome a Netgear N device branded with VM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to