User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DannyD12
(newbie) Thu 03-Feb-11 14:32:25
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk Experience

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
In reply to a post by DannyD12:
(does anyone know a decent reseller of their services?)

You could try calling Vivaciti who resell packages based on Obit surfwise. If you ask for Carl I think he is the boss smile

Maybe also Xilo/Uno?

Cheers smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Feb-11 15:13:02
Print Post

[re: DannyD12] [link to this post]

My use of fibre was correct

It covers a myriad of products that use a higher proportion of fibre than existing ADSL products including cable services, metro ethernet (which might be over copper oddly)

£65 gets you 500GB from Zen, not sure on the costs above this. But consider whether they will exceed that sort of usage level very often and balance the sometimes higher costs versus savings.

NOTE: Reliability may be less compared to their existing line too, since VDSL2 is still subject to RF interference, which a pure fibre link is not.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Feb-11 15:15:48
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

So you still posting in forums with your mobile dongle, must be a nightmare

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Feb-11 16:13:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So you still posting in forums with your mobile dongle, must be a nightmare

Yes and also from my smartphone internet too. I rang up virgin media and ask them if there any chance for installation tomorrow or weekend as I cannot wait until next Tuesday, they checked on their system if one is available (subject to pure cancellation) and they found one slot for tomorrow morning between 8am and 1pm. I am now happy, got virgin media tomorrow instead of Tuesday. smile

Edited by adslmax (Thu 03-Feb-11 16:18:02)

Standard User DannyD12
(newbie) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:04:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
My use of fibre was correct

It covers a myriad of products that use a higher proportion of fibre than existing ADSL products including cable services, metro ethernet (which might be over copper oddly)

£65 gets you 500GB from Zen, not sure on the costs above this. But consider whether they will exceed that sort of usage level very often and balance the sometimes higher costs versus savings.

NOTE: Reliability may be less compared to their existing line too, since VDSL2 is still subject to RF interference, which a pure fibre link is not.

Sorry I meant the person that you replied to, but whatever BT say I don't think FTTC should be referenced as fibre as you still have a copper element that could be just as far as it was before (if you're close to the exchange) if they put VDSL connections directly in the exchange for people living nearby would this also be classed as fibre even though there's no more fibre in the connection path but using the same system as FTTC?

Their usage is at least 3TB per month overnight and growing plus usage during the day (which fluctuates alot between a couple of hundred GB to several TB per month), SLA's aren't a massive problem as it's not business critical per se.

Anyway I was just querying why people say there are unlimited FTTC connections available when there aren't any marketed! I won't post here anymore as I don't want to derail the thread any further than I have I just have a real bugbear about "unlimited" being marketed both from a personal and business perspective when it really isn't!

No doubt the ASA will bow down to the advertisers as they always do in the upcoming review!
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:17:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by DannyD12:
Their usage is at least 3TB per month overnight and growing plus usage during the day (which fluctuates alot between a couple of hundred GB to several TB per month),
Say 6-7TB per month and growing?

A maxed-out FTTC line running 24/7 can provide about 12TB/month... I reckon they should be thinking about a leased line!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DannyD12
(newbie) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:33:40
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

They already have a leased line over fibre ethernet, multiple FTTC connections would no doubt be cheaper though (even 30 Zen Max offering still isn't at the cost of a 20mb/s burstable to 100mb/s connection) hence me looking in to it for them...

Sorry for derailing once again!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Feb-11 20:13:43
Print Post

BT does NOT do VDSL direct into the exchange. FTTC is only available to those with a cabinet between them and the exchange.

The ability to use the word Fibre is because of rulings that allow the similar architecture from Virgin Media to carry the name fibre broadband.

Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Feb-11 12:29:53
Print Post

Finally got my new superhub and tech guy had installed new broadband and I am very happy overall with 30 Meg speed. I gave him a nice cup of tea and a cake while he installed it, he told me that Virgin Media is faster than BT by miles ahead in the future as Virgin plan to extend it 30Meg, 50Meg, 100Meg, 150Meg and 200Meg and will be 400Meg in three years time.

Here is my 30 Meg today:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1142306792.png

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=12968...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Feb-11 15:35:30
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Really? and I rang the national lottery claiming to have lost my winning ticket and they simply put the check in the post.

If VM is so good, why did you ever leave them? Or did you not leave really?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to