User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deputy_Dog
(learned) Sat 12-Feb-11 23:07:27
Print Post

Re: thinking of joining talktalk broadband worth it....

[re: wy2k] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wy2k:
just another question i'm assuming that talktalk or sky don't do less then a 12 month contact for broadband and phone.
If I'm in my flat for less then 12 months and hence have to cancel talktalk/sky what costs will i be looking at to do this?

Do talktalk offer up to 20mb?

thank you.

This is a quote from one of the TalkTalk help pages. (link found here)

How much are the Early Termination Fees?

It depends upon how long you have left until the completion of the minimum period and what sort of TalkTalk customer you are.

If you are a TalkTalk phone only customer, it is £3 for every month remaining in your minimum period.

So if you have three months left on your minimum period, it is 3 multiplied by £3, equalling £9.

If you are a TalkTalk Broadband & Phone customer, unless you take TalkTalk Plus, it is £8 for every month remaining in your minimum period.

So if you have six months left on your minimum period, it is 6 multiplied by £8, equalling £48.

If you are a TalkTalk Broadband & Phone customer, who takes Plus, it is £13.50 for every month remaining in your minimum period.

So if you have six months left on your minimum period, it is 6 multiplied by £13.50, equalling £81

I was also previously on Plusnet and swapped on account of pricing in September 2010. I can tell that so far it has been good and I've no reason to regret it. I use the internet a lot and download a 2GB-4GB a month on P2P and overall my download is 20GB-25GB per month. I use it a lot for online gamming and on this part you may find that it is very good. On Plusnet I got around 50ms ping in games after changing to TT I got 40ms and after asking for a 'Fastpath profile' on the talktalkmembers forum I now get around 20ms. The members forums seem pretty good for sorting out most problems however I'm sure you are aware of the reputation of the appalling customer telephone service. If you are confident enough to tackle most internet and computer problems your end then it may be for you. If a telephone customer support is essential then maybe not.

Do talktalk offer up to 20mb?

TalkTalk offer 'upto 24mbps' but this depends on how far you are from the exchange. To get the best out of your line connection then you will need to ask the talktalkmembers forum staff to change you profile after you go live. Generally they start you on a 12db profile and offer faster ones or 9db and 6db depending on how stable your line is. Also to get the best latency you will need to ask them to put you on a 'fastpath' profile which switches interleaving off.

Also useful to know is that the first month is a trail month and if you are not satisfied you can leave without incurring any contract cancellation penalties.
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Sun 13-Feb-11 00:36:51
Print Post

[re: Deputy_Dog] [link to this post]

thanks for the help so far smile. If I went for the essential product which has a 40gb download limit, is there a time window i can download in etc with out counting towards this limit?
cheers
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Sun 13-Feb-11 07:21:31
Print Post

No. Everything you download is added to the monthly 40Gig limit. It then reverts to 0 on the first of every month. You can monitor your monthly downloads on the TT My Account page if you choose to go this route.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Feb-11 10:20:48
Print Post

thanks for the help so far smile. If I went for the essential product which has a 40gb download limit, is there a time window i can download in etc with out counting towards this limit?
cheers

If you are thinking of using P2P dont touch TT with a bargepole they throttle P2P and for most it is all but useless, I can get reasonable speeds probably because i live in a small town and I'm guessing the exchange has a lot of spare capacity, if you visit the TT forum you will see a lot of threads about terrible P2P speeds.
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Sun 13-Feb-11 12:18:24
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

oh that might explain why i was getting bad speeds on some else's talktalk connection when using p2p. But I thought it was just the time of the day affecting it.

Anyway I know this is talktalk, but what are sky like for p2p etc?
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Sun 13-Feb-11 12:26:28
Print Post

just out of interest how fast can you download on p2p with talktalk, just thinking if its like no more then 300kb/s, then me only being able to get 1-2mb connection i might not notice this problem or will i?
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Feb-11 13:14:11
Print Post

just out of interest how fast can you download on p2p with talktalk, just thinking if its like no more then 300kb/s, then me only being able to get 1-2mb connection i might not notice this problem or will i?

If you are on a congested exchange it will take you days to download a 700mb .AVI, as i said above if you intend to use P2P dont touch TT with a barge pole.
This is a typical post from the TT forum, you have been warned. wink

First time posting a topic and in need of help. I have been using utorrent for a number of months now and i have been receiving around 1.4mbps download and i have upload of 67kbps.

for the past 2-3 weeks i have not even been able to get 30kbps download and 1kbps upload. I have called to the tech support and been told that TT don't shape traffic or block ports in any way, which i know is so not true. I have done a Glasnost test and came back with my ISP shaping traffic and blocking ports.

I have the Glasnost result here

My Download speed is great at minimum 18mbps so why now after all this time of me downloading open source software have i came to a crashing halt. I am on the TT Pro package.
Standard User aj2703
(experienced) Sun 13-Feb-11 15:55:31
Print Post

I am the opposite.

I downloaded a torrent file from a private site at 1.5Mbps. The upload went to just under 1 meg too. I think it very much depends on the speed of the people seeding.

Edited by aj2703 (Sun 13-Feb-11 15:55:58)

(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Feb-11 17:06:40
Print Post

[re: aj2703] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aj2703:
I am the opposite.

I downloaded a torrent file from a private site at 1.5Mbps. The upload went to just under 1 meg too. I think it very much depends on the speed of the people seeding.

I also get great speeds most of the time but i don't want him to get the wrong idea, if he is a heavy P2P user he may end up with speeds like the guy in my last post then he is stuck in a 12 month contract and is going to regret signing up.

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Sun 13-Feb-11 17:07:24)

Standard User wy2k
(committed) Sun 13-Feb-11 18:01:47
Print Post

i reckon i download using p2p about no more then 5gb a week, is that what is called a heavy user these days?
I'm also wanting to do this to save money since plusnet kindly started charging me £5 more so £21 a month, I would go to any other isp which offered at least a 60gb download limit for less then what i'm paying now.

But so far it seems that my only choices are talktalk or sky.

End of the day as long as i get in the region of 100kb/s on p2p that will do me, as I know i would be lucky to get faster then a 1mb connection.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to